Sony VPL-HW10 DIY painted screen recommendations - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-09, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Sony VPL-HW10 DIY painted screen recommendations

I recently purchased the Sony HW10, and so let the headaches begin. The retailer that I purchased the unit from said to go with a gray screen. I contacted Sony and they said to go with a white screen. My thoughts were to do a DIY painted screen. My room is 13x16, and it is light controlled, no windows. It will be a dedicated theater room. The projector will be shooting from lens to wall around 14'. I have purchased two full size couches and plan on having them both face the screen with the second couch being on a riser. I am also planning on doing a blackout ceiling and screen wall as well as dark painted side and back walls . For screen size I want to go as large as possible, hopefully around 130" screen or larger. The wife and I are the type of people that like to be close, but not right on top of the screen, at the movie theaters. I have been reading the other forums regarding the Cream & Sugar screen as well as the Black Widow screen. Or should I just stick to a white screen? I do want nice blacks but with the size of the screen that I want, I do not know if the projector can handle a dark gray screen. After reading for weeks, I have decided to just post and ask my questions. It is unreal the amount of information that is available from everyone regarding DIY screens on this forum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-09, 08:58 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Sony VPL-HW10 DIY painted screen recommendations

Hi londog,

Welcome to the Shack!

With your PJ and the size screen you want, in my opinion, a dark gray screen is pretty much out of the question.

With a 14' throw and 130" 16:9 screen I get a screen brightness of 9 fL.
If your not familiar with this calculator, you might be interested in playing around with it a bit.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony...ulator-pro.htm

The review of this PJ at Projector Central highly recommended using this unit in video optimized mode to get the best colors.

From the description of the HT you are building, it sounds like Cream&Sugar would be the DIY paint solution to try.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-31-09, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Hey Harpmaker, thanks alot for the welcome and for the quick reply. I have been looking at the Cream & Sugar and that was my thoughts exactly. Do you think that my projector will shine bright enough using the Cream & Sugar versus a plain white screen? Like I stated before this is my first projector and first home theater setup and just want everything to run smoothly.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-31-09, 06:16 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

While I think C&S would work well for you (I am a true believer in gray screens, and C&S is technically a very light gray that has a reflective element in it to make the white-level that of a white, or near-white, screen), what I would recommend doing, if possible, is to prime your wall with the water-based "Kilz Premium" primer instead of the oft recommended "Kilz2" (Kilz Premium is a brighter white)) and when that has dried try using it as a screen. This will be one of the whitest DIY painted screens you can get. If the image you get is good enough for you, stop and enjoy your HT. If the colors don't seem to have enough "depth" (kind of hard to explain) or blacks aren't black enough, or you want to have some light on while viewing TV or movies, then try the C&S.

Also be sure to calibrate your PJ to your screen, and then to recalibrate if any variable changes (you paint the walls a different color, you try a different screen mix, etc.).
post #5 of 5 Old 02-08-09, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

We had thought about priming the wall first to see how big a screen we could get or the size of screen that we liked anyway's before we painted it. Thank you for the recommendation of the Kilz because we were not sure which primer we were going to use. I have read the entire C&S forum and it sounds very interesting. I will definetly try the primed wall first, but I have a feeling that I am going to end up using the C&S technique though. You guys have put to much work , effort and time in finding, developing, testing and coming up with new ideas for DIY screens to not give it a try. If I don't feel completely satisfied with the C&S then I can always go back to the white screen. As of right now I am still about a month out from being able to fire up my projector because the room is still under going renovations.