Attaching screen matrial to frame, argh - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 16 Old 03-27-12, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
patchesj

Re: Attaching screen matrial to frame, argh

I would follow Chris's advice... He helped out a lot during my frame build. I built my frames using the "Gallo" instructions, but I failed miserable stretching the fabric using those instructions. I switched to the pattern outlined in the earlier post in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 04-07-12, 01:17 PM
Shackster

I have used the method close to the elite screen suggestion and it always works well for me.

If you can get another pair of hands on it to make and position the stretches as you move along it really saves a lot of time and moves along brilliantly. If you are still trying to convince your wife to paint the room black then don't say ANYTHING if she is the one helping you other than "thankyou honey"

Move in a direction that makes sense if you are left handed or right handed after the initial horizontal and vertical stretches.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-18-12, 11:32 AM
Senior Shackster

Can I ask where you purchased your screens and where i might gather some good information. My first idea was to build a hickory frame and use and almost black stain. I love to woodwork and would like to use hardwood. Is that a good idea or not? Thanks.

post #14 of 16 Old 04-21-12, 11:35 AM
Shackster

Quote:
fax6202 wrote: View Post
Can I ask where you purchased your screens and where i might gather some good information. My first idea was to build a hickory frame and use and almost black stain. I love to woodwork and would like to use hardwood. Is that a good idea or not? Thanks.
I built my projection frame from poplar. I had a friend that has a very nice wod working shop assist/build it. I purchased black velvet and wrapped the poplar in it. Black velvet is awesome because it sucks in the light. SeymourAV has some good easy to follow pdf's.
post #15 of 16 Old 04-21-12, 12:28 PM
Senior Shackster

Thanks hunter
post #16 of 16 Old 12-04-12, 07:51 PM
Shackster
weng

hi,

i would like to build my first DIY screen out of wood frame covered in velvet but will use an Elite CineGrey screen material. i want to apply the screen tensioning method used by jamestown screen, where the screen material is inserted in between the wood frame & aluminum tube then tightened by a set of screws on the tube.

does the Elite screen material work or keeps tension with this method? i'm afraid that if the material is not thick enough, it will loosen out of the tube and wood over time.

my screen size requirement is 110" but Elite does not carry this size in CineGrey, so i opt to do it DIY and save some bucks. also, a friend who is a carpenter will help me build this project.

thanks

Last edited by weng; 12-04-12 at 08:01 PM.