My Build Thread. Wall screen, C&S - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
N.

My Build Thread. Wall screen, C&S

Hello,

Seems like I change my mind on how I'm going to proceed every week here... But I put up the 4x8 of MDF and was just not happy with how small I had to reduce the overall picture size to get it to fit. So... I'd said phooey on it, and I decided to just paint the wall. And started work immediately.

The problem is the wall has heavy texturing... and so I've just spent the last 4 hours sanding down the wall with a power sander... and I am still not done. I bet I have another 2 hours to go... It really really sucks to sand down large areas like this.

After (if) I finish sanding it down, and patching one large hole from a door being swung open way too far, I am going to give it a coat of Kilz. Do I really need to use my low nap special 9'' roller for the prime coat or can I use the regular roller and save the low nap one for the paint? I'm guessing its best to use the low nap one all the way through. After the first coat of Kilz there will probably be a few low areas from the power sander taking a divot out here and there so I'll use some mud to fill those in, let dry, sand smooth. Then I am planning on putting down a 2nd coat of Kilz, sand smooth, and then hopefully be ready to paint this beggar. I'll update with pictures as I go.

E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 07:06 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: My Build Thread. Wall screen, C&S

Welcome to the Shack and sorry to hear about it being so hard to make up your mind... there are lots of good options though!

I wish you would have spoken up first though because I may have been able to saved you a ton of time and heartache as well as you might even be watching your projector right now!

Rough walls can be a killer, but it is definitely manageable and can be easier than people think. I speak from first hand experience here! Just about everything anyone needs to know can be found in the stickies, such as a link to working with rough walls. I'm not sure if you are finished, this method is definitely worth looking into if not.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #3 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 07:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

I've never done what you are doing and never worked with drywall so my advice only holds until something better comes along.

Try to be very careful about making divots in the wall, but I understand if you get some; sanding like that for hours is a lot of work!

When it comes to painting your wall, I would use a 1/4" nap roller for the primer as well as the screen paint. The lower the nap on the roller the smoother the paint finish. If you use a higher nap for the primer you would have to sand it down to get it as smooth as if you used a lower nap roller to begin with so I would think using the lower nap to start would save time.

As I understand things (I'm sooo not a roller, I spray) if your wall is smooth you shouldn't have to sand the second coat of Kilz.

The one thing I do know is that the final finish is only as smooth as the roughest coat, don't depend on a smooth coat making up for a rough coat. In my experience it doesn't work that way.

OK, I see Bill answered while I was writing this. Just ignore what I said and go with his advice.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 02:35 PM
Shackster
Anthony

I just got done doing this exact same thing myself. I actually went the opposite route and built up my wall, rather then sanding it down. I put two coats of taping compound, sanded the second coat, put a coat of topping compound, and then sanded that too. The whole time I smoothed the wall out with a largest blade I could find and a level I taped to the blade to make sure I was as straight as possible. After that, I put my primer coats on and then the final screen paint coat.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
N.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen,

I did read the sticky about working with rough walls.. but it was like 10pm and I wanted to get working. I also didn't think it would take me 6 hours to sand down a wall hhahaha but anyways, the wall is smooth now. I am waiting for some joint compound to dry in a marble sized hole in the dry wall so I will be out of action for at least a couple of hours.

Give me 5 Mins and Ill upload some pictures to this post.

Last edited by eventnick; 09-30-09 at 03:23 PM. Reason: pictures added, inappropriate joke regarding tarps and dead ladies of the night..removed.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
N.

Ok so, sanding complete..
Here's a picture of my projector btw... with a cheap ebay mount that is supposed to be for proj upto 22lbs, but doesnt come anywhere near being able to hold pitch, roll, or yaw adjustment for my 17 lb Planar. I think it would actually be functional for like a 10lb'er. So anyways, I had to balance it using rolls of nickels discretely hidden in the cable bay. Its ok but I obviously try to avoid touching it at all costs.

Here's a fun shot of the projector on against the weird multicolor wall at the moment. Kind of cool looking.

I put down the first coat of Kilz. It was very difficult to get a nice even coat using the tiny 9" low nap roller. But after a while this is what I got:
I am not sure what that square spot it, I think its just a darker section... Ill make sure I get it well with the 2nd coat...

Thoughts and advice? Please

Edit: Im having troubles with roller marks, I will improve my technique on the 2nd coat, but its very difficult to get a good result with the 9'' roller .. I also tend to run out of paint about halfway down a vertical stroke with this smaller roller...it just doesnt hold alot of paint!

I think I am done for the night.. .I have a multilayer perceptron neural net calling my name from MATLAB

Last edited by eventnick; 09-30-09 at 10:26 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-30-09, 11:04 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

It looks like things are coming together.

I would put as many coats of primer on as is necessary to get a fairly even appearance to the screen before I put on the C&S. From my limited experience rolling, the C&S will go on easier than the primer.

My guess would be that the square block is an area that for one reason or another is absorbing more primer than the rest of the wall. One of the jobs of a primer is to seal areas that do that. Wait until the first coat is dry before putting on the second coat otherwise this sealing effect will be lessened.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-01-09, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
N.

Kilz coat #3

I think I am going to do atleast one more primer coat.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-01-09, 08:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

post #10 of 14 Old 10-02-09, 11:53 AM
Shackster
Anthony

Congrats man!