Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Velvet tape keeps coming off Screen Goo screen

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Rancho5 
#1 ·
We rolled on Screen Goo digital grey and it looks fantastic! We edged it with 3 inch black velvet tape and the tape won't stick for more than 30 minutes, then sluffs off.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

#5 ·
All I can do is guess, but I would guess that either the tapes adhesive is too wimpy or it may be reacting with something in the Goo that makes it lose adhesion over time. :dontknow:

Another thing that will make the glue on the back of pretty much any tape soften is heat. How hot is it by your screen?

How hard did you push the tape onto the screen? You should have used a tool similar to this one (know as a "J Roller") to evenly push the back of the tape into contact with the screen.

It would also be a good idea to take some coarse sandpaper and scuff up the paint where the tape will be applied; this will create little valleys for the tape adhesive to go into.

There is an old saying in woodworking that you should NEVER depend on glue alone to hold something together, that is why there are so many different types of joints and mechanical fasteners for the carpenter/cabinet maker to choose from. Glues have gotten better over the years, but it's still a good idea not to depend on glue alone. The exception to that rule is contact cement, but only if it's used properly.

#7 ·
It was a good few weeks after the goo screen was up that we applied the velvet tape. Just because we didn't have any, not because we waited for a specific time.

When I did the screen I overrolled quite a bit so the tape is on the entire screen, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.