Wilsonart Designer White or White Matte screen material ? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 14 Old 03-23-10, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

Wilsonart Designer White or White Matte screen material ?

I'm trying to decide which way to go. If I go with the screen material, I would buy the pulldown screen, cut the material off and use my wood frame. I just don't know if the screen material is pliable enough to get a tight fit on the frame with staples.

1) Designer White laminate screen

2) Elite "Max White", 1.1 gain screen material, textured, black backing, model # M120UWH2

3) Draper "Accuscreens" in matte white, gain I assume is 1, black backing, model # 800008

Thanks for any advice. I want to decide ASAP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-23-10, 09:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Wilsonart Designer White or White Matte screen material ?

Hi Jim, welcome to the forum!

I have no direct knowledge of working with either DW or commercial screens, but since you seem to be in a hurry I'll jump in here with info based on common sense (I hope) and the experiences of others.

Designer White is a good white screen by itself and after it is mounted it is by far the easiest to keep clean, especially if you have little ones that might mistake that large white area on the wall as a target for their artistic expression (crayons, jelly etc.); most things just wipe off with a damp cloth.

While it may be possible to purchase a retractable screen and then remove the fabric or vinyl from that screen and mount it to a fixed frame, I would be concerned that the material might stretch or sag over time. Mech or someone else familiar with commercial screens might be able to tell you if the screens you mentioned are fiberglass backed or not. I think a purely vinyl screen would be more prone to stretching/sagging than one backed with 'glass.

From a gain standpoint, the DW has the higher gain (Mech actually measured it at 1.26) while most inexpensive commercial white screens have a gain very close to 1.0. You didn't mention your intended screen size or the PJ you are using, but unless you are stretching the brightness of the PJ to the limit the small difference in gain between the prospective screens shouldn't really matter too much.

Ahh! I see Mech answered while I was typing this - just ignore what I said...
post #3 of 14 Old 03-24-10, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

Thanks guys. I plan to glue the laminate with contact cement to a sheet of 1/2" MDF, then make my final cut with a router and laminate bit. Then I plan to hang on the wall with a wooden cleat. I don't want to take any chances of the laminate having any ripples or warping down the road.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-24-10, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Sounds good Jim. Take pics along the way if you get a chance.

I won't be able to post any pics. One reason is I don't know how, and another is I'm having a local laminate business do the job for me. I talked to them today, and they're only charging me $40 labor. They're going to glue the laminate on front, a laminate "backerboard" on the back(they said it's needed to prevent cupping while cement dries, to "balance" panel), and cut panel to final size. Really, it's only costing me about $10 labor because now I don't have to buy the laminate bit for router, contact cement and roller for glue. I should have it by the end of next week. What's surprising is they recommend I use 3 french cleats to hang it, 2 at the minimum.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-25-10, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

Hanging a laminate/MDF screen with french cleats

My new screen will be 106" diagonal, DW laminate, glued onto 1/2" MDF. The local laminate shop suggested I hang it with 3 french cleats, 2 at the minimum. Each cleat being a 1X6 ripped in half, glued and screwed to back of MDF. Doesn't this seem like overkill? They said the 2-3 cleats will prevent any bowing or warping of the MDF. If my drywall is bowed inward slightly toward the top, won't I have trouble locking the cleats together on the wall? Would 2X cleats work better in that case? Would 2X cleats be too "thick" or "heavy" for the glue and screws to hold properly on the back of MDF? Thanks.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-25-10, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

Re: Hanging a laminate/MDF screen with french cleats

Thanks mechman. Do you have any opinion about my questions concerning the 2X cleats?
post #7 of 14 Old 03-25-10, 02:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Well, you're screen is probably going to weigh somewhere in the neighborhood of 75-100 pounds. I'd do the two cleats just for safety's sake.

Coat the mdf with polyurethane to avoid warping. It'll also help during the humid summer months.
Just to expound on this a little for those wondering what this does, the idea is that coating the back and sides of the MDF panel with some kind of finish will retard atmospheric moisture exchange and thus potential warping of the panel.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-25-10, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

The only reason I thought of 2X cleats is because my wall bows in slightly as it goes up. If I use 1X cleats, I think it will be hard to lock in the cleats with each other. Does that make sense? With 2X cleats, there's more material to grab onto. BUT, are 2X cleats too heavy/thick for the adhesive and screws to hold properly to back of MDF? Because the screws are only going into the back of MDF about 1/4". When I say 1X or 2X, I'm talking about a 1X6 or 2X6 ripped in half. Thanks.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-25-10, 04:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Just to throw in my $0.02, I think most of the weight of the screen is going to be held by the glue and not the screws if they are only biting 1/4" into MDF. That being the case, I would recommend something other than regular "wood glue" or "carpenter's glue" be used (these will move over time if under constant shear tension). Construction adhesive might work, but I have no experience with it. I would use a slow setting epoxy (it's what I used for holding the staved bodies of my harps together).

On the cleat thickness issue, I don't think it matters for holding power. I see no reason not to use the 2x6 except the screen would be a little further away from the wall. I would also suggest having a wider cleat on the MDF (since it will be held primarily with glue) than on the wall since you can use the additional surface area, assuming the wall cleat will be held firmly with screws.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-25-10, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Jim

Thanks. I'm going to use some sort of construction adhesive. So what I'm thinking about using 2X cleats makes sense, because of the bow in the wall? It just seems that it'll be easier to get the cleats to lock onto each other(with the thicker wood). But it would have to be 2X pine. That's fine right?