Easy DIY screen - help appreciated - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 04-25-10, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Easy DIY screen - help appreciated

I've been reading on this forum, and I'm looking for an easy solution for a DIY screen. I've got an Epson 8500ub that is going to be mounted about 10' 8" away from the screen. This should give me an 82" diagonal screen. Most of my watching is done at night, but some is done during the day, sports, Wii with the kids, etc. I can control most of the light, and at night the room will get extremely dark. The seating area is also just over 10' from the screen, with the widest angle from the screen just over 45 degrees.

I really would like something simple that will help give good blacks, color, and help with ambient light when needed. I don't have hours upon hours to spend, but am willing to invest some time to get it right.

Any suggestions and help are appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-25-10, 05:40 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Re: Easy DIY screen - help appreciated

Quote:
gowings23 wrote: View Post
I've been reading on this forum, and I'm looking for an easy solution for a DIY screen. I've got an Epson 8500ub that is going to be mounted about 10' 8" away from the screen. This should give me an 82" diagonal screen. Most of my watching is done at night, but some is done during the day, sports, Wii with the kids, etc. I can control most of the light, and at night the room will get extremely dark. The seating area is also just over 10' from the screen, with the widest angle from the screen just over 45 degrees.

I really would like something simple that will help give good blacks, color, and help with ambient light when needed. I don't have hours upon hours to spend, but am willing to invest some time to get it right.

Any suggestions and help are appreciated.

Thanks
Tim
Budget?

Blackout Cloth is probably the simplest screen to build. You will need 1 vertical brace in the frame. And I suggest using a couple of dowels for the corners. Use can use 1 dollar 2 x 4 for the frame.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-25-10, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I've read a ton about the different paint mixes and was looking to go that route. I don't have the budget to buy a high end screen, but would like to get close with a DIY solution. If I need to spend a couple of hundred bucks to get it I can.
Posted via Mobile Device

post #4 of 12 Old 04-25-10, 10:17 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

BOC while inexpensive can also be a pain to stretch.

At 10'8" and an 82-84" diagonal screen you are talking about a very bright image. Also that size screen can easily fit on any 4'x8' substrate or if you paint directly on the wall you won't need a substrate.

Based on the calculator you'll have around 29fL of brightness at the screen, and that is incredibly bright. If you want quick and easy then an OTS gray at least N8. True Value Winter Mountain (paint code 1982) mixed up with Valspar Signature Series in the matte finish would work for you for both lights out and lights on viewing.

Another thing I would do would use a low lamp setting for lights out and a higher mode when you have the lights on. If you want something 'fancy', you definitely can handle Black Widow, Scorpion, or Elecktra N8. Things don't have to be complex or complicated in order to be good.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #5 of 12 Old 04-25-10, 10:58 PM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

If you have a nice flat wall, I'd highly recommend simply painting the screen right on the wall. I went that route and do not regret it for a second.

I have the Epson 6500UB and went with the newer Elektra N8 (aka HTS-X2). Much of my journey (plus screen shots) is documented here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...creen-mix.html

It really is quite straightforward. The paint was simple to mix and if you are careful with a roller, you can roll on a nice finish right on a freshly primed wall.

BTW, why only 82" diagonal? You have the lumens to go bigger and the PJ has plenty of zoom range to throw a bigger picture to. I'd go at least 96" if I were you. My screen is ~126" diagonal and I am sitting 11.5 feet from that screen.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-26-10, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the replies guys. The main reason I can only go to that size is because of where the screen will be located. It is in a bonus room over the garage and the ceiling slopes down. Where the ceiling meets the wall it is 58" above the floor. In order to keep the screen from sitting right on the floor and off the ground about 20", then that's the size screen I have to go with. I'm ok with that for now to get started.

I'd love to be able to paint the wall, but it is not flat and would take too much work to get it there. That's why I think a fixed screen will be my best route.

I read through the link you sent 1canuck2, and the screenies look amazing. We have similar projectors, so that is very promising to me. I like very good contrast with very good black detail, and nice whites. The screen will be used some during the day as well. Based on that, which of the mixes will give me the best multi-use, the BW, Scorpion, or Elecktra?

Thanks for everyone's help, I'm looking forward to getting the materials and putting everything together.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-26-10, 05:57 PM
Senior Shackster
1canuck2

My System

With a smaller screen, you'll have lumens galore, so I'd think you'd be fine with an N8 (I'd vote Elektra, but I am biased) as the best of both worlds.

But, when you say during the day, do you mean with tons of ambient daylight in the room, or do you have good light control?
post #8 of 12 Old 04-26-10, 06:56 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

You don't need a screen to use a projector. Just put it up on the wall and get an idea for the size you want first. Math doesn't tell you what you like.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-26-10, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

That's good advice lsiberian! I'm not very good at being patient, so maybe I will learn some through this process.

1c2 - I have a double window in the room that has blinds and curtains on it, so it will get rid of most of the direct sunlight. I would say the ambient light would be low to medium at best. The worst time of day in this room is the morning, and I very rarely watch anything in that room at that time of day.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-26-10, 07:46 PM
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
gowings23 wrote: View Post
That's good advice lsiberian! I'm not very good at being patient, so maybe I will learn some through this process.

1c2 - I have a double window in the room that has blinds and curtains on it, so it will get rid of most of the direct sunlight. I would say the ambient light would be low to medium at best. The worst time of day in this room is the morning, and I very rarely watch anything in that room at that time of day.
I've found blind+ curtains works well. Be aware that you may get some leakage though.

It's also advised that you get some sunlight every now and then. We don't want you going crazy.

I don't even have a screen so I'm living proof that a White wall works just fine. A good projector will still look fantastic on a textured white wall. I've seen no need to build a screen yet. Though I do have my plans.