My Time for a Screen has come. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 17 Old 04-29-10, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

My Time for a Screen has come.

I've been resisting it for some time now, but now that the semester is over I'm looking to get this project underway.

For screen material I'm debating between Laminate and BOC. For either screen I plan to line the edge with some masking and put some crown moulding on the exterior to appease the wife.

I could paint the screen with Black Widow since that seems to be well liked.

I want to make quick work of this since the size of a screen is to large to easily hide away somewhere. I'll be taking pictures so wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-29-10, 10:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: My Time for a Screen has come.

Ditto on the good luck! Looking forward to the pics.

Don't want to interfere, but are you set on your screen mix or would you like some recommendations?
post #3 of 17 Old 04-29-10, 11:37 PM
Senior Shackster

IT Guy

I've had good success with a WilsonArt Designer White laminate screen (1.3gain) on an 80/20 frame (aluminum tubing). Worked great until I got my fixed frame 1.0 gain recently.

Res non sententia.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-30-10, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Ditto on the good luck! Looking forward to the pics.

Don't want to interfere, but are you set on your screen mix or would you like some recommendations?
Well I watch during the day a lot so I want a good ambient light solution.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-30-10, 09:30 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
lsiberian wrote: View Post
Well I watch during the day a lot so I want a good ambient light solution.
What is your PJ brand and model?
How far from the screen will it be mounted?
What is your desired screen size?
post #6 of 17 Old 05-01-10, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
What is your PJ brand and model?
How far from the screen will it be mounted?
What is your desired screen size?
It's an old Optoma EP719 the picture is around 80"

How do you guys order the laminate.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-01-10, 10:47 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
It's an old Optoma EP719 the picture is around 80"
Your PJ has a native Aspect Ratio of 4:3, so I assume you want to make your screen the same. An 80" diagonal screen would be 48" tall and 64" wide. You wouldn't have to by oversize laminate if you wanted to go with laminate, but rather than laminate I would go with either 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard if you are going to paint it since it is much less expensive than any laminate I know of. Usually when people use a laminate, such as WilsonArt "Designer White" it is to make as high a gain white screen as they can. Such screens work horribly in ambient light.

Since your PJ can probably use a bit of help getting black blacks and you want to use it in ambient light I would recommend going with Black Widow™. The PJC Calc is showing 45 fL. with your PJ and screen size so you certainly have the lumens for it.

Quote:
How do you guys order the laminate.
It may sound silly, but laminate is where you find it. If you know what brand of laminate you want, the companies web site usually has a dealer directory of some kind. Also, any store or shop that sells flooring or countertop material may sell it or be able to special order it.
post #8 of 17 Old 05-30-10, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

lsiberian

Quote:
Your PJ has a native Aspect Ratio of 4:3, so I assume you want to make your screen the same. An 80" diagonal screen would be 48" tall and 64" wide. You wouldn't have to by oversize laminate if you wanted to go with laminate, but rather than laminate I would go with either 1/8" or 1/4" hardboard if you are going to paint it since it is much less expensive than any laminate I know of. Usually when people use a laminate, such as WilsonArt "Designer White" it is to make as high a gain white screen as they can. Such screens work horribly in ambient light.

Since your PJ can probably use a bit of help getting black blacks and you want to use it in ambient light I would recommend going with Black Widow™. The PJC Calc is showing 45 fL. with your PJ and screen size so you certainly have the lumens for it.

It may sound silly, but laminate is where you find it. If you know what brand of laminate you want, the companies web site usually has a dealer directory of some kind. Also, any store or shop that sells flooring or countertop material may sell it or be able to special order it.
Hey I realize I kind of ignored this as I dove head first into the 3-way build and the amp builds I'm planning, but I've decided to go with a backing substrate and black widow. I think mounting is probably going to be the greatest challenge. I'll be running it in 16 x 9 mode since a 4 x 3 screen would be vetoed immediately. I have been watching the same screen size for almost a year so that is set pretty well.

I plan to put a border and a frame around the board.

This is my third concurrent project so bear with me as I get the updates rolling(pun intended). I'm excited about having new speakers, amps and a screen coming down the pipe.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-31-10, 12:54 AM
Elite Shackster

bambino

Quote:
I've been resisting it for some time now, but now that the semester is over I'm looking to get this project underway.

For screen material I'm debating between Laminate and BOC. For either screen I plan to line the edge with some masking and put some crown moulding on the exterior to appease the wife.

I could paint the screen with Black Widow since that seems to be well liked.

I want to make quick work of this since the size of a screen is to large to easily hide away somewhere. I'll be taking pictures so wish me luck.
I don't have any suggestions for ya but i can say your lucky. I want to do projection so bad it hurts.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-31-10, 07:11 PM

Built my DIY screen about 3 months ago and love it, 120" 16:9 made from 1x4 poplar board and a black cloth screen 1:1 gain turned out great. Less than $120 yeah $1 per inch