Black Widow or Dulux Paint? - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 14 Old 07-04-10, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Ivor

Re: Black Widow or Dulux Paint?

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
While I realize that NCS s0907-Y70R doesn't match the RGB numbers for Bermuda Biege on paper (NCS' paper), it matched just fine with my spectro. And while I've only measured the one sample of NCS s0907-Y70R, I've measured a few UKBW samples and all were neutral. So it does work just fine.
I've Followed the instructions on the BWUK paint to the letter, being a newby at this i wasn't really knowing what to expect anyways i used MDF board, used a good primer then set about the top coat. i found it really easy obtaining the two parts to mix. B&Q ware very helpful this is where i got the s0907-Y70R ( Dulux mix ) the CTX-4101 Aluminum i got from the web.
i used a 4/1 mix, gave the MDF five rolled coats being a hot day i gave it one hour between coats. the screen ended up looking very, very good. wasn't sure what i was expecting but since I'd mixed Aluminum in to it i was thinking i would see Silver (specs) .. not knowing if i would or not .... I didn't !!
now the screen it finished and on the wall, and must admit i have a low end projector (Sanyo SE20A being my first ) i wasn't very impressed with the picture, it seemed "dull" advice from the forum suggested i would find "Digital Video Essentials" useful which i bought "new" with filters.
DVE did do a good job and improved the picture by 40% ..... I'm now a very proud owner of my very own "cinema" ...... but the wife is now moaning as I'm now on the outlook to upgrade the pj .... Thanks to the chaps for their knowledge and advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 07-04-10, 03:31 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Glad you are enjoying your HT Ivor.

There should be visible aluminum flakes in your BW™, but only if you get within inches of the screen. From anything approaching normal viewing distances when using a projector a BW™ screen should simply appear a solid neutral gray, but the very small aluminum particles in the mix are working to reflect more light back to you than a simple paint of the same shade.

As you have found, properly calibrating your PJ to your screen can have a tremendous impact on image quality. All of the problems that I remember people reporting with Black Widow™ screens have been resolved by either letting the screen dry overnight (it's too glossy while it's still wet) before judging image appearance or by calibrating the PJ.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-04-10, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Ivor

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Glad you are enjoying your HT Ivor.

There should be visible aluminum flakes in your BW™, but only if you get within inches of the screen. From anything approaching normal viewing distances when using a projector a BW™ screen should simply appear a solid neutral gray, but the very small aluminum particles in the mix are working to reflect more light back to you than a simple paint of the same shade.

As you have found, properly calibrating your PJ to your screen can have a tremendous impact on image quality. All of the problems that I remember people reporting with Black Widow™ screens have been resolved by either letting the screen dry overnight (it's too glossy while it's still wet) before judging image appearance or by calibrating the PJ.
Just given the screen a good look.... i can't say for certain i have any silver flakes but that may just be the light in the room when i looked. but can confirm it is a really good neutral gray.
i give it another look when the room light is better and maybe post some pictures for you chaps to give your opinion......

post #14 of 14 Old 12-31-12, 10:03 AM
Shackster

Re: DULUX Exterior Paint vs. Black Widow

A tangent, what tool did you use to do this sketch?