Munsell N5 - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 35 Old 08-26-15, 01:31 PM

Re: Munsell N5

Hi there - resurrecting long dead thread as my first post. Found the site through a search for grey theater paint. I'm thinking of doing the entire area forward of our viewing area in 18% grey - crazy talk? The big question is which style of Behr ultra deep base for the formula - flat? Does flat/matte/eggshell affect the formula? There's also a dead flat option but no idea what that means and description doesn't help. If anyone's listening, thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 08-27-15, 07:52 AM
HTS Moderator

Hello and welcome to Shack!

No, the various finishes (matte, flat, eggshell) do not affect the formula. Couldn't understand exactly...do you want to paint your screen with N5 or the surrounding area?
post #33 of 35 Old 08-28-15, 02:49 PM

Thanks! I had a gallon made up, will put it on next week after priming the new drywall. It's not for the screen (have a 20 foot chunk of white 1.0 reflective screen material ordered off ebay - had it set up before at old place, looks great. This time, will be 185" 16:9), it's for the entire room forward of seating - walls and ceiling. Going on the advice that it's ideal for a viewing lab and it's not so dark that it will be a total cave.

post #34 of 35 Old 10-13-16, 10:53 AM
Pending

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... I have been looking for paint that is spectrally flat before running into this thread.

Has anyone tried Behr N520-5 "Iron Mountain"? When I look at the gray on their website by inspecting the code, it is rgb (117, 117, 117), which is the same RGB as the N5 18% gray's I've seen elsewhere. I am curious if a spectrometer would see it as N5.

I think it is a newer color then when this thread was created, so if this is N5, then it is probably easier to have them make that then to have them use this formula.
post #35 of 35 Old 12-27-16, 03:25 PM
HTS Moderator

If i may ask...are you planning to use N5 with which projector and on how big screen?