Cream&Sugar™ Ultra - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #11 of 161 Old 05-12-11, 09:12 AM
Shackster

Re: Cream&Sugar™ Ultra

New to the Forum, you guys are geniuses. I simply want to know/confirm that you can make the Elektra mix using the new C&S ultra right? Also I have a 100% light controlled environment and will likely be using a high lumen output projector I would say 1500+, I definitely want to have dark blacks, should I add the 2oz. of N6 ?
Thank you a million times over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 161 Old 05-12-11, 10:54 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Centurion wrote: View Post
New to the Forum, you guys are geniuses. I simply want to know/confirm that you can make the Elektra mix using the new C&S ultra right? Also I have a 100% light controlled environment and will likely be using a high lumen output projector I would say 1500+, I definitely want to have dark blacks, should I add the 2oz. of N6 ?
Let me add that the projector I am looking at is the Panasonic PT-AE4000U (1600 Lumens)
post #13 of 161 Old 05-12-11, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Centurion wrote: View Post

Let me add that the projector I am looking at is the Panasonic PT-AE4000U (1600 Lumens)
Hi Centurion, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the compliments. DIY screens, and screens in general, are a hobby for us; but it's one we do take seriously.

To answer your question, yes the Elektra™ mixes can be made using C&S™ Ultra as a base instead of the old C&S™.

As to how dark a screen you need, we will need a bit more info to help with that.

1. What size screen are you making?
2. Are the walls and ceiling painted white or a very light color, or are they dark?
3. How far will the PJ be mounted from the screen?
4. What will the viewing distance be from the screen?

post #14 of 161 Old 05-16-11, 10:35 AM
Shackster

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is the additional information:

1) the screen will be approximately 110" Diagonal, 16:9 format
2)Ceilings are Black Walls are a dark brown color.
3) The projector will be mounted about 14.5' from the screen
4) the first viewing row is about 11' from the screen

Thanks again, I'm already excited!
post #15 of 161 Old 05-16-11, 10:51 AM
Shackster

Harp,
I figured I might as well give a few more specifics about my room. All paint is flat, so no reflection. Floors are dark as well, and absolutely no ambient light (basement). The seating is in direct line with the screen, so there should be no concerns with the viewing angle. By the way the projector being mounted at 14.5' from the screen is about as far back as I can mount it, plus or minus maybe 6".
When I saw the thread of the Elektra™ screen, more specifically the Batman opening scene with the buildings, the blacks looked amazing! so deep, that is what I am going for.
post #16 of 161 Old 05-16-11, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Thanks for the additional info Centurion. If you want deep blacks in the projected image the best way to do that is to buy a PJ that already has them and then build a dedicated theater to keep the screen protected from light pollution (which it seems you have done ).

I'm thinking that you really don't need much help getting good contrast and black levels if you go with the Panny AE4000 or an Epson 8700UB in a dedicated theater with dark surfaces. Either use a white paint for your screen, or if you want to have a little bit of "black level insurance" you could go with C&S™ Ultra. If your heart is set on something a bit darker, the Elektra™ mixes can be made with C&S™ Ultra, but I would use the Behr N6 sample rather than the Valspar N6 sample paint because the Valspar sample is only available in satin finish which might make C&S™ Ultra hot spot a bit.
post #17 of 161 Old 05-16-11, 09:52 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Harp, a quick question. We have discussed this on the development thread already but I was wondering if you have gotten around to formulating the C&S Ultra with paint one could get at Home Depot. My situation is almost identical to Centurian's and so your comment about the valspar paint maybe hotspotting got me thinking. Or is that only in regards to the darker mix( Electra)?

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #18 of 161 Old 05-16-11, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
kadijk wrote: View Post
Harp, a quick question. We have discussed this on the development thread already but I was wondering if you have gotten around to formulating the C&S Ultra with paint one could get at Home Depot.
I'm quite certain C&S™ Ultra can be made with Behr #1850 paint (ultra white flat latex enamel) instead of the Valspar Ultra Premium white flat latex enamel, but the silver paint MUST be Liquitex BASICS Silver (at least at this time). Home Depot seems to be stopping selling metallic paints; first Behr stopped making their metallics and then HD stopped selling the Ralph Lauren metallics. I know it's an inconvenience ordering the Liquitex paint, but the only other choice is paying big bucks to get them from a local store that sells artist paints (A. C. Moore, Michael's etc.). If you can assemble the needed paints over time, you can get 40% to 50% off retail price by using weekly coupons at the above mentioned stores (they will accept each others sale coupons).

Quote:
My situation is almost identical to Centurian's and so your comment about the valspar paint maybe hotspotting got me thinking. Or is that only in regards to the darker mix( Electra)?
It's only when making a darker mix by adding the N6 paint. The way things stand C&S™ Ultra is made using the regular BASICS Silver paint since the BASICS MATT paints are not sold in the large craft/artist supply stores any more (I don't know why). All the BASICS paints are of a satin finish (some, like the Titanium White are even glossier) so C&S™ Ultra is already 50% satin and 50% flat white enamel so any additional satin paint may push the mix into hot spotting. Another contributing factor is that C&S™ Ultra only makes 32 oz. of paint before water is added while the older C&S™ mixes made 48 oz. The volume discrepancy is really less than that because the BASICS paint is VERY thick, but I hope you get my drift. That is why I'm only suggesting the Behr N6 paint (it's flat) be used to make Elektra™ with C&S™ Ultra as the base paint.

We will be introducing two new mixes later this year, the first is Cream&Sugar™ International and the other will be called Aurora™ International. These mixes will be made from 100% Liquitex BASICS or BASICS MATT paints. This is being done so that these mixes can be made in any country in the world. Aurora™ will basically be the same thing as Elektra™ only it will use a N5 paint as a shade-adjuster since that is the only neutral gray Liquitex sells.
post #19 of 161 Old 05-16-11, 11:50 PM
Senior Shackster

My System
Thanks. I have the liquitex basics already so it's the base I need to acquire with no lowes nearby. Your work and testing are MUCH appreciated.

Kadijk

post #20 of 161 Old 05-17-11, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
kadijk wrote: View Post
Thanks. I have the liquitex basics already so it's the base I need to acquire with no lowes nearby. Your work and testing are MUCH appreciated.
Thank you.

In all of our testing Valspar Ultra Premium enamel and Behr #1850 have performed in a very similar manner and one could be exchanged for the other. If you have to you could probably use the newer Behr #1750 (their ULTRA paint), but do that only if absolutely necessary. I have read that some have had problems with roller marks with #1850, but all that means is that they haven't thinned it enough with water before rolling (it doesn't take much).