Cream&Sugarô Ultra - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #21 of 161 Old 05-18-11, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster

My System
I guess the only problem with using the Behr product is knowing the tint formula that HD would use to match the Lowes coloring.

Kadijk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 161 Old 05-18-11, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Cream&Sugarô Ultra

Quote:
kadijk wrote: View Post
I guess the only problem with using the Behr product is knowing the tint formula that HD would use to match the Lowes coloring.
With any luck I'll be checking this out today.
post #23 of 161 Old 05-19-11, 09:10 AM
Shackster

Harp,
I really appreciate your insight and knowledge on this. I think i will go the route of using C&S with maybe a pinch (1 - 1.5oz) of N6 ? Interesting recommendation on the PJ as I was/am strongly considering the Epson 8700UB or 9700UB as well. Thanks again.

post #24 of 161 Old 05-19-11, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Centurion wrote: View Post
Harp,
I really appreciate your insight and knowledge on this. I think i will go the route of using C&S with maybe a pinch (1 - 1.5oz) of N6 ? Interesting recommendation on the PJ as I was/am strongly considering the Epson 8700UB or 9700UB as well. Thanks again.
Adding that small an amount of N6 paint to C&S™ Ultra would only darken the mix by the slightest amount, but it wouldn't hurt anything either.

I am far from an expert on projectors, for that info check out our PJ forum here at HTS. All of the PJ's you are contemplating are way above my pay-grade - all I know about them is what I read; but if you are serious about good image contrast and black levels get a PJ that has them "out of the box" and don't try to compensate for their lack with a screen.
post #25 of 161 Old 05-19-11, 01:46 PM
Shackster

Excellent recommendation. So now I have to ask what projector are you running?
post #26 of 161 Old 05-19-11, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Centurion wrote: View Post
Excellent recommendation. So now I have to ask what projector are you running?
I'm half embarrassed to tell you. Like a lot of people I made the mistake of getting a cheap PJ that was on sale (I think I paid something like $300, but it may have been $400) without really knowing anything about projectors. I got a Viewsonic PJ503D (which I don't recommend to anyone for any purpose). It's an 800x600 PJ, but that doesn't really bother me since I'm still using standard DVD's; but it's a DLP PJ that only has something like 2 or 3 segments on the color-wheel which causes me a HUGE problem with Rainbow Effect. It is especially bad when watching a Black&White movie since the colors you see out of the corner of your eyes are easily seen against the B&W image on the screen. The RBE is so bad with this PJ I even was able to take a photo of it! The area of the image where I am moving my finger up and down in is white (meaning it's getting equal amounts of red, green and blue light) the area of the image hitting my hand is blue.

post #27 of 161 Old 06-05-11, 07:56 PM
Dave

Harp,

I am most impressed with your knowledge and experience with high performing DIY screens for a reasonable price.

Presently, I am in the final stages of finishing a new summer home with a theater room that will have high ambient light during the daytime, so we plan to use the PJ only at night and a smaller flat screen display positioned below during the daylight hours. There are some parameters of the room layout and decor that I will not be able to change, so I am seeking advice to help make sure I achieve the best outcome in terms of the screen performance. The Projector is a Panasonic PT-AE4000U that will need to be ceiling mounted at about 11' (as close as possible) from the 107" diagonal screen painted on smooth drywall, the back of the fire place. Ceiling is light beige and walls are medium beige in eggshell latex. I can control lighting to a very low level of light. There can be a small amount of indirect moonlight coming from the great room behind the fireplace wall reflecting off walls in the theater room. This indirect light is coming from behind and to the sides of the screen which remains very dark. I believe the light from the screen image reflecting off the theater room walls and ceiling will be a bigger factor.

Do you think the C&S Ultra will be a good selection for this PJ and the environment described above?

I tried my old Sharp XV- Z90U in this room on the primed wall and it was plenty bright, a little reflection off the ceiling that I may need to work on. I made a 92" dia. portable screen for this projector with a Behr formula a few years ago that we still enjoy and I am looking forward to high performance with the new screen and PJ.

Thanks,

Dave
post #28 of 161 Old 06-05-11, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Hi Dave, welcome to HTS!

Thanks for the kind words, but it really is a group effort here; especially with Wbasset and Mech. Others aren't shy to add their words of knowledge either.

The Panny AE4000U is a very nice PJ, but it has such a wide choice of settings it can be hard to determine the actual brightness people are getting out of their units. The ProjectorCentral calculator (which we use a lot here) shows this PJ hitting the screen with 21 fL of illumination, but the ProjectorReviews measured lumen levels tell another story and in your HT (and using econo mode to extend lamp life) you would be shooting about 10.5 fL.

If you can control ambient light to only reflected moonlight from another room I would think that C&S™ Ultra would work a treat for you.

While we haven't gotten around to testing the exact amounts of N6 neutral gray paint to add to C&S™ Ultra to make darker mixes, the amounts listed in the Elektra™ thread will be very close. If you determine your C&S™ Ultra screen is too light in color you could simply add some N6 paint to any remaining mix to darken it slightly and just paint over the C&S™ Ultra without repriming the screen.

If you were shooting a 107" screen with your Z90U you would have been hitting the screen with about 8 fL.
post #29 of 161 Old 06-06-11, 01:39 AM
Dave

Harp,

Thanks for the very quick response! Are you aware of any disadvantage of mounting the PJ at the shortest throw distance for a given screen width? I need to stay in front of a ceiling fan.

Regards,

Dave
post #30 of 161 Old 06-06-11, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
abby3347 wrote: View Post
Harp,

Thanks for the very quick response! Are you aware of any disadvantage of mounting the PJ at the shortest throw distance for a given screen width? I need to stay in front of a ceiling fan.

Regards,

Dave
The only "disadvantage" of using a PJ (or even a camera) with it's zoom lens set close to the end of it's range (either tele or wide) would be some minimal image distortion around the edges of the image. I want to quickly add that such distortion may not even be detectable with the human eye without a special test image to show it (fine cross hatch patterns and small circles). When watching normal movie/TV images I don't think you will have any problems using the widest zoom setting to get the maximum screen size. It might be a good idea to ask this question in the Projector forum here.

All our screen mixes are designed to have large angles of view so you shouldn't be losing image quality or brightness with a short throw PJ mounting. This isn't the case with high gain screens where you might actually lose some image brightness, and even get some color-shifting, with a short throw due to the relatively high angles of incidence at which the PJ beam strikes. Here I'm thinking about commercial retroreflective screens or so-called high gain DIY screen mixes available elsewhere that use gloss to increase gain. With a retroreflective screen the farther the viewer is away from being on-axis (both vertically and horizontally) with the PJ the less bright the screen will be and the greater the chance of the image being off-color because of light refraction. The glossier DIY mixes will lose brightness also by reflecting a larger portion of light onto the floor and not the viewers eyes (unless you like to lay of the floor during viewing ). This is all simple optics and physics of light refraction and reflection.