Cream&Sugar™ Ultra - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #61 of 161 Old 02-01-12, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Cream&Sugar™ Ultra

Quote:
fnordmorph wrote: View Post
This stuff is WAY lighter than the C&S mark 1, but unless my eyes deceive me, it still looks kinda pink. Hard to mess up C&S base... but maybe they managed it?

Some of the original C&S is still there on the borders, with the new, not quite dry C&S mk II next to it, and the ugly beige, gastroenteritis yellow wall on the other side (maybe that color is just skewing my cones). I know monitors, cameras, etc. play tricks, but what do y'all think of the tint in this picture? Nasty yellow beige on the left, C&S I in the middle, my new mix of C&S 2 on the right?
First off, does the C&S™ Ultra area in your photo still look pink to you? Neither C&S™ area looks pink to me, if anything they might be just the smallest tad blue. This of course could be due to the camera (the Nikon D5100 is a nice one) doing it's job and compensating for what it thinks is small color errors. I notice you used AUTO mode for exposure and white balance too.

There is still a chance that your mix really is pinkish and you're not just seeing things. If you want to be totally certain about the color of your mix (or mixes) just make up about 1" square samples of it/them and mail them to me and I will test them with my spectrophotometer and report the results. If you want to do that just PM me and I'll send you directions on how to wrap the samples for mailing and give you my address. All it will cost you is a some scrap cardboard or a few 3x5 cards, a white paper towel, a letter sized envelope and a first class stamp.

There is ALWAYS a chance that the paint store messed up the base color. The last I heard HD might also have changed the tints they use, but magenta is kind of a root color, but still... Murphy's Law is always in effect. Could you look at the can of base paint you are using and post the tint formula here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 161 Old 02-01-12, 03:41 PM
Shackster
Dan

Second coat is dry now, looks less pink. The light in that room (walk-out basement) is always funny, (but getting more and more controlled!) and its grey here in SW Colorado today, so hard to say for certain. I basically used the default settings on (my wife's) camera since I don't know any better, though I could probably figure out how to at least white balance it if I tried. The base paint is marked Behr Premium Plus Ultra Pure White Interior Flat Enamel no. 1850, top was marked 5/384th VL (Magenta) Qt 1850 Flat Enamel (in pen). They did mention something about new pigments within the last few months. I think I'll try to send you some sample cards; they might be educational for everyone interested in using HD paints, and I seem to have left my spectrophotometer back in grad school.
post #63 of 161 Old 11-01-12, 08:34 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I see in the formula that 8oz of water to dilute is suggested when rolling. When spraying, it is suggested that more dilution is needed - just how much more is based on the sprayer used.

As I am using the same sprayer that Don has, I was wondering if there was a more solid amount of water to be used for dilution?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #64 of 161 Old 11-01-12, 03:33 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
What you can do is to use a fork as a guide. When the paint falls out from between the tines of the fork fairly quickly, the mix should be thin enough. The Wagner guns come with a tool.

Always test the mix to see if it's thin enough before spraying your screen. Make sure it doesn't spatter out of the gun.
Thanks Mech - the fork idea really helped. First coat has been sprayed. For the record, I used 20 oz of distilled water.

post #65 of 161 Old 11-02-12, 09:23 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I just wanted to take a minute to give you guys props - I just finished hanging my new C&S Ultra screen and popped in the Avengers. I was simply astounded by the result - colors just exploded! I started at the 14th chapter - the start of the NYC destruction sequence - and when I got to the point where Thor showed up, his cloak was such an amazing deep red! And, Scarlett's hair - wow!

I did not pay as much attention to how the blacks looked - I will spend some time later - but I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you guys for a great mix. Plus, it has only been done for less than a day - if it gets better as it cures longer.......

post #66 of 161 Old 11-03-12, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Thanks for the feedback Joe. While we don't go fishing for compliments we do appreciate those that come our way.

All water-based paints go on looking milky (which is why you can't judge the true color of a paint in the can or before it dries) and turn transparent as they dry (I mean the binder or vehicle and not the pigment). I don't think you will notice much of a change after a day or two.
post #67 of 161 Old 11-03-12, 10:50 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Thanks for the feedback Joe. While we don't go fishing for compliments we do appreciate those that come our way.

All water-based paints go on looking milky (which is why you can't judge the true color of a paint in the can or before it dries) and turn transparent as they dry (I mean the binder or vehicle and not the pigment). I don't think you will notice much of a change after a day or two.
OK, thanks Don - I will fire up the PJ again tomorrow to get a good feel for how it will look going forward. I am going to try to get a couple photos up on my build thread tomorrow as well.

post #68 of 161 Old 12-12-12, 10:54 AM

Hello.

I've been reading through the various threads of various generations of various paints. I do have one question that I was unable to answer...

Currently, I have a mix of Black Widow and a mix of C&S Ultra. Is it possible to mix these two current formulas together to make a variant of Scorpion or am I better off just tinting some of the C&S Ultra to find a middle ground between the two grey extremes?

thanks
-f
post #69 of 161 Old 12-12-12, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
burrometer wrote: View Post
Hello.

I've been reading through the various threads of various generations of various paints. I do have one question that I was unable to answer...

Currently, I have a mix of Black Widow and a mix of C&S Ultra. Is it possible to mix these two current formulas together to make a variant of Scorpion or am I better off just tinting some of the C&S Ultra to find a middle ground between the two grey extremes?

thanks
-f
Welcome to HTS!

Yes, you can mix BW™ and C&S™ Ultra in any proportion you please. Both paints are neutral so the resulting blends should also be neutral.
post #70 of 161 Old 12-13-12, 09:35 AM

Thanks so much guys. I plan to paint up a few small panels with the three paint mixes to see which I prefer.

For the sake of curiousity... I have an Optoma H77 which will be shooting a 85"ish image from about 14'. The walls are a warm brown beige not too much darker than BW. Most viewing will be done in a dark room, some times with a little ambient light if we need to find the coffee table. Would BW be a bit dark for this setup or am I better off with a lighter tint?

Thanks in advance.