Cream&Sugar™ Ultra - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

1Likes

post #71 of 161 Old 12-13-12, 12:45 PM
HTS Moderator

Re: Cream&Sugar™ Ultra

Quote:
burrometer wrote: View Post
Thanks so much guys. I plan to paint up a few small panels with the three paint mixes to see which I prefer.

For the sake of curiousity... I have an Optoma H77 which will be shooting a 85"ish image from about 14'. The walls are a warm brown beige not too much darker than BW. Most viewing will be done in a dark room, some times with a little ambient light if we need to find the coffee table. Would BW be a bit dark for this setup or am I better off with a lighter tint?

Thanks in advance.
I estimate that BW with your Optoma and 85' screen will be the perfect match, as long as your bulb is in good condition and has not too many hours of operation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 161 Old 12-13-12, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Thanks so much guys. I plan to paint up a few small panels with the three paint mixes to see which I prefer.

For the sake of curiousity... I have an Optoma H77 which will be shooting a 85"ish image from about 14'. The walls are a warm brown beige not too much darker than BW. Most viewing will be done in a dark room, some times with a little ambient light if we need to find the coffee table. Would BW be a bit dark for this setup or am I better off with a lighter tint?

Thanks in advance.
Interestingly enough the answer to this question depends on what signal source you are using to send the video to the PJ; a progressive signal produces a much brighter image than one from DVI or an interlaced source. According to projectorcentral your PJ is kicking out 385 lumens with a 480p source and Normal lamp mode (which is the low lamp mode), but only 240 lumens with a 480i source. This means that you would be hitting an 85" 16:9 screen with ~17.8 foot candles of image brightness using a 480p source and only 11.1 fc with a 480i source. All this assumes a new lamp so you can cut those brightness values by about half as the lamp ages giving ~8.4 fc and ~5.6 fc). All that said, the lower limit of watchable image brightness is very subjective, both Mech and I have no problem watching a BW™ screen being hit with a measured 12 fc, but we have had members here complain of a too-dark image if it was much less than 16 fc.

If you were running on Brite lamp mode BW™ could work fine by itself, but if you want to get longer lamp life then I would go with a lighter mix. Since it sounds like you have fairly dark walls and either no, or very limited, ambient light during viewing I would suggest a mix of 33.3% BW™ and 66.6% C&S™ Ultra (assuming you have both paint mixes). This should give you about an N8.4 level of neutral gray, but give you a brighter image than an OTS paint of the same shade.
post #73 of 161 Old 12-14-12, 12:59 AM
HTS Moderator

Don, i 'm a little confused...is this the pj we are talking about?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

Are you refering to calibrated values?

post #74 of 161 Old 12-14-12, 08:57 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
He's referring to whatever it was that PJ Central used Yiannis. It's from page two of their review and it's rather interesting.
Thanks Mech!!

I don't know if back in 2004 ''This phenomenon is common..'', but in 2012 sounds a little bit like wrong settings either from the source or in signal processing.
post #75 of 161 Old 12-14-12, 07:57 PM

Thanks Don. I tested a patch of both BW and C&S Ultra last night. Obviously both produced a very nice image. I found myself using the eco-light setting with the C&S and BW was on the border of requiring bright mode. I'll take your suggestion of a 2:1 mix and call it a day!

As for the dim DVI phenomenon... perhaps I should dig out the component cables and A/B a few sources.

And to everyone else, thanks for your input... it's much appreciated!
post #76 of 161 Old 12-14-12, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Thanks Don. I tested a patch of both BW and C&S Ultra last night. Obviously both produced a very nice image. I found myself using the eco-light setting with the C&S and BW was on the border of requiring bright mode. I'll take your suggestion of a 2:1 mix and call it a day!

As for the dim DVI phenomenon... perhaps I should dig out the component cables and A/B a few sources.

And to everyone else, thanks for your input... it's much appreciated!
You are very welcome!

If you do those source tests please let up know how they turn out! Unless you already have a colorimeter or spectrophotometer you will need some kind of light meter to do those tests. You can get this one from Amazon for $25 with free shipping. I have one, and some others on this forum do too, it is a good accurate meter.

post #77 of 161 Old 12-14-12, 08:56 PM

Levels will be measured with a Spyder3. Expect to see a post within the next week or two!
-f
post #78 of 161 Old 01-09-13, 07:06 PM
Shackster

Harp and others just replied to the unique gray hotspotting thread but jist of it is and not going to repeat it here. That gray with bulb hours and the changes I made to my room just to dark for me. Its been a year and looking to do the C&S now. Please don't anyone leak this to my wife as she will kill me gonna sneak it in on a weekend.

My question is ambient light is no longer any issue but I sit 13' back from the screen, epson 8350. I have 2 can lights above the couch back there on dimmers and I do keep them on very low and I mean low just to talk with people during the football games and see them so based on that I can't imagine that would cause a problem with the C&S or am I incorrect which I probably am. I know this mix does not take ambient light but would the cans shooting down have any effect.

Thanks, Brian
post #79 of 161 Old 01-09-13, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
traderbbc wrote: View Post
Harp and others just replied to the unique gray hotspotting thread but jist of it is and not going to repeat it here. That gray with bulb hours and the changes I made to my room just to dark for me. Its been a year and looking to do the C&S now. Please don't anyone leak this to my wife as she will kill me gonna sneak it in on a weekend.

My question is ambient light is no longer any issue but I sit 13' back from the screen, epson 8350. I have 2 can lights above the couch back there on dimmers and I do keep them on very low and I mean low just to talk with people during the football games and see them so based on that I can't imagine that would cause a problem with the C&S or am I incorrect which I probably am. I know this mix does not take ambient light but would the cans shooting down have any effect.

Thanks, Brian
I think you would probably be OK with the cans set very low, but such things are quite subjective. One of the best things to do is to get a low cost light meter like the one I showed and linked to a few posts back. This would let you KNOW how much light is hitting your screen, both ambient and from the projector.

Note: Valspar has changed the name and label of the paint yet again! The paint is now called Valspar Ultra super flat finish. Everything else is the same. I'll try to make the correction and add a new photo this week.
post #80 of 161 Old 01-10-13, 07:16 PM
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I think you would probably be OK with the cans set very low, but such things are quite subjective. One of the best things to do is to get a low cost light meter like the one I showed and linked to a few posts back. This would let you KNOW how much light is hitting your screen, both ambient and from the projector.

Note: Valspar has changed the name and label of the paint yet again! The paint is now called Valspar Ultra super flat finish. Everything else is the same. I'll try to make the correction and add a new photo this week.
Is the number still the same for the new name on the valspar, good thing I looked at the first page as I did not realize the valspar needs a tint. Decided the cans are not a problem going with the C&S but the liquitex silver getting a bit confused its the basic is there a model or part number that identifies the correct liquitex silver?

Thx again for all the help.