Advice on Anamorphic designer white screen - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 06-02-11, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Advice on Anamorphic designer white screen

I am not a total newbie but need advice on a DIY build. I presently have a 98" DIY screen I built about 3 years ago using information posted mostly by Wbasset. This screen worked flawlessly until a few months back when the Blue polarizer on my PLV-Z5 started causing problems like a yellowish color and symptoms like a weak lamp. Through research it appears that it is time to upgrade my system. I have decided for my purposes that Laminate would be my best option for a 2.35 screen. My problem is I am having to approach this in stages. Presently my projector is mounted in another room and is projecting through a cutout 16' from the screen. I am in the process of completing that room which will be a kitchen. In order to do this I must redo how my projector is housed without changing it's location. Since I am redoing my projector space, I am completely redoing how AV equipment is located. It is now in cabinets below my screen with a 50' HMDI cable running in the overhead to the projector. I plan to move all of this equipment to the back wall under my projector. I plan to have two separate HEPA filter systems routed above my new Kitchen cabinets, one to the projector cabinet and one to the AV cabinet.

At this point I am not sure what my projector will be, but I know I want it to be 1080p, and eventually I want it to have an anamorphic lens. Because of the timing on all of this redoing I am faced with building my 2.35 curved screen before I have a lens for my Projector. What can I expect from a visual standpoint projecting a un-morph image on a curved screen. I will be projecting 16 feet to a 50"/119" 2.37 screen built on a 40' arc.

I need to know what to expect with a curved screen without the anamorphic lens. I am interested also, if anyone has had issues enclosing a projector and supplying positive pressure to the enclosure so that air is venting around the lens and cabinet opening at the projector exhaust. I have used this principle with my AV equipment with very good success.

Any advice and words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-02-11, 06:47 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System
Re: Advice on Anamorphic designer white screen

Using a curved screen without an anamorphic lens may or may not cause any problems..It will depend on your throw distance and the curvature of the screen..
If your projection distance is going to be 16' and the screen has a 40' arc..I don't think you will have any problems, particularly with a 1080p projector..
There may be some very slight blurring at the edges, but probably wouldn't be noticed under normal viewing conditions..

A curved screen is only really needed if you have a short throw ratio when using an anamorphic lens, to reduce or eliminate the pincushion effect..

Prof..
Home Theatre...the never ending story!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-02-11, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Thanks Prof,
I know from reading some of your other post that pincushion effect is not a problem on a long throw projector if you have a flat screen. I guess the reverse would also be true. I was hoping that I could get by without any problems. With a 16' throw do you think I would even need a curved screen on a 50"/118". 2.35 screen.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-02-11, 07:15 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

Projecting from 16' onto a 50" high 2.35:1 screen, gives you a throw ratio of 2.2..That will give you minimal pincushion effect, so no..you don't need a curved screen..

Prof..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-02-11, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster
Bill

Many thanks, Prof

That will save me a lot of time and expense. That will also open my options as to whether to go zoom or
anamorphic lens.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-02-11, 08:19 PM
HTS Senior Moderator

The Mad Professor

My System

My pleasure..

You can use zoom for the time being and then later add a lens without having to make any other changes..

Prof..