Neutral Grays and Simple Off the Shelf Solutions - Page 13 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #121 of 179 Old 04-01-09, 06:56 AM
Shackster
Kent

Re: Neutral Grays and Simple Off the Shelf Solutions

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Well I haven't seen anything from Stewart yet... And it was supposed to have been shipped out before yours.

Da-Lite uses a fiberglass material for some of their screens. I have the Joe Kane screen sitting in my office. But I haven't opened the box yet.
The "dragonfly screen" high contrast/grey should arrive thursday or Friday (dragonfly has to be one of the worst names for a projector screen) and I'll do some comparisons between it, dalite hp 88" screen, and stewart samples. If I decide to keep the "new" dragonfly screen I will be happy to send you the stewart samples if you like (they are about the size of standard sheet of paper).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 179 Old 04-03-09, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Honestly... if you are talking about an 88" diagonal screen... I'd personally recommend an OTS grey.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #123 of 179 Old 04-03-09, 10:56 AM
Shackster
Kent

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Honestly... if you are talking about an 88" diagonal screen... I'd personally recommend an OTS grey.
I assume OTS is off the self grey?

I have to have pull down as the screen goes over a window............the Dragonfly is a tab tensioned electric screen high contrast grey. I paid $200.00 at it was delivered today....just opened the box but have not yet seen the screen surface. Hope it produces a good picture because $200 for a brand new tab tensioned electric screen is not a bad deal.

post #124 of 179 Old 10-15-09, 10:58 PM
Phil

Please help me if you can. I am painting the walls of a theater and have tested the Munsell N7 formula you provided. It is too light. I have searched and searched to find the formula for a match to Munsell N5 and N4 and have come up short. Can you guys help?
Thanks in advance,
Phoenix Phil
PS I was using the formula in Behr UW paint
post #125 of 179 Old 10-16-09, 01:51 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Hi Phil, welcome to the forum!

As luck would have it, I recently had a Munsell N6 and N5 matched at Home Depot using Behr paint.

I had a quart of the N6 made before I realized that Home Depot now has 8 oz. samples available.

N6 match
1 Quart of Behr Deep Base #1854
Code:
Tint     oz.     384th oz.
B         1         6
C         0       79
F         0       22

N5 match
8 oz. sample jar Behr Deep Base.

Code:
Tint      oz.     384th oz.
B          0          95
C          0          16
F          0            7
KX        0         170

I had N4, N3 and N2 matched too, but the neutrality wasn't as it should be for use in making screen mixes (too blue), but they would probably work fine as wall colors.

N4 (not quite neutral)

Code:
B          0         140
C          0          11
F          0            5
KX        0         130

N3 (not quite neutral)

Code:
B          0         202
C          0          11
F          0            7
KX        0         70

N2 (not quite neutral)

Code:
B          0         255
C          0             5
KX        0          26

Home Depot should be able to easily convert these formulae between 8 oz. samples, quarts and gallons.
post #126 of 179 Old 10-16-09, 01:15 PM
Phil

Don:
THANK YOU !!
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your prompt and helpful response. I have looked and looked for this information. Oh, and the tip regarding 8 oz. samples is a big help too.
This is great.
Again, thanks VERY much.
Phil
post #127 of 179 Old 10-16-09, 04:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

No problem Phil, glad to be of help.

As far as I know, formulae for making the darker Munsell Grays in house paint don't exist except here!

Something I forgot to put in my last post was what the base was I had matched! The N5 sample was a Kodak Gray Card (used to determine photographic light measurements many moons ago) which IS N5. The other neutrals were samples of Golden Acrylic artist colors in N6, N4, N3 and N2.

Unfortunately, I discovered that for colors darker than N5 Home Depot has problems EXACTLY matching that color; but as I said, the N4 and under matches should work fine for less critical uses such as painting walls where color neutrality isn't quite so demanding.
post #128 of 179 Old 10-20-09, 02:29 PM
Phil

Sigh,
I am having WAF problems.
Anyone know of a shade of dark purple, burgandy, brown, tan or some similar color that is near neutral, as dark as say, N4, and will not cause my ISF maven to pop a blood vessel?
Thanks,
Phil
post #129 of 179 Old 10-20-09, 03:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Arizphil wrote: View Post
Sigh,
I am having WAF problems.
Anyone know of a shade of dark purple, burgandy, brown, tan or some similar color that is near neutral, as dark as say, N4, and will not cause my ISF maven to pop a blood vessel?
Thanks,
Phil
I understand the WAF problems. Here are some pics from a new build of a HT using a cool N5 (pushed blue a bit) paint for the walls. I think it looks great! http://photobucket.com/ChadHT

I'm afraid your question is throwing me... by definition, any mix that is any of the colors you mention will not be near neutral in color. If you mean colors that are N4 or less in brightness, you are in luck! I've been researching this a bit and today had some samples made up for testing. The colors are Sherwin-Williams, but I had them made up in Behr paint at Home Depot (I love those $3 8 oz. samples!).

Code:
SW 2942 'Liberty Blue' RGB=14, 21, 49 N= 0.8
Behr Deep Base
B     0     44
E     0    203
KX    0     7
V     0     34
Code:
SW 2936 'Black Emerald' (green) RGB=18, 34, 29 N=1.2
B     0     146
C     0      30
D     0     106
KX    0      3
Code:
SW 2912 'Chanticleer' (red) RGB=148, 0, 0 N=3
AK    0      69
KX    0       2
V      0     217
Sherwin-Williams has a nice color picker program here: http://www.sherwin.com/visualizer/#d=c;i=1006 It runs in Flash so it's a bit slow (at least on my old PC).

I found that by simply adding black paint the red color above got darker and turned a nice burgundy.
post #130 of 179 Old 10-20-09, 08:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Upon further consideration of your question, It might be advisable to create your own custom color by taking a shade of neutral gray slightly lighter than you wish the finished color and then adding the color of your choice to the neutral gray until you get the color that pleases your better-half.

For simply making up a color that you will have computer-matched at Home Depot (or relatively closely matched since shades below N5 have not been exact in my experience) you could use craft paints from a store such as Michael's (their house-brand called Craft Smart comes in many different colors and are quite inexpensive) and add them to your neutral gray. Take a sample of the color you want to Home Depot and have them read it with their spectrophotometer. If however; you might want to literally make your own custom paint I would recommend using a higher quality artist paint such as Liquitex BASICS (matt or regular).

http://www.dickblick.com/products/li...s-matt-colors/

http://www.dickblick.com/products/li...ics-8-oz-jars/