Neutral Grays and Simple Off the Shelf Solutions - Page 8 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #71 of 179 Old 09-22-07, 06:58 PM
jefft1314
Inactive

Re: Neutral Grays and Simple Off the Shelf Solutions

Heh... my sherwin williams isn't open on Sundays. Looks like I'll have to default to True Value unless somebody thinks it's worth waiting until Monday to hit up Sherwin Williams.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 179 Old 09-22-07, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
jefft1314 wrote: View Post
It doesn't matter at all how the paint looks on the wall. The room is used solely for home theater- well, that and music listening.

It also doesn't matter whether the paint is difficult to clean or not. Again, this is a dedicated ht room, there are no kids in the house. There is a cat, and I have a couple of roomates.

Also, flats are pretty inexpensive and if over time it did get some dirt, just roll on another coat. Anyone smoke? That's something you won't be able to wipe down on a flat finish, but again, just roll it again a year or so down the road if it looks like it's getting some wear and tear.

I don't regret priming the wall today. The image is certainly better than what I was getting with the off white cream color that was there before. Also, this will make the painting process tomorrow much easier.

Glad to hear that. Didn't want to push with the primer, but it really is important to baseline in my opinion. Kilz is the easiest and cheapest way to throw a white reference screen up and then like you said... you're already primed for painting the wall. Extra step, but worth it.

My projector is rated at 700 lumens, but unlike other projector's lumen claims, the Samsung actually comes close to what it claims.

They are problably stating actual Video Optimize lumens and not raw max lumen output. Interestingly Sony says that Lumen ratings vary so much from on manufacturer to another that they are almost meaningless. I do have an email out to Projector Central asking for some clarification on their site calculator. When they get back to me on that I'll pass it on to everyone.

So, gray screen, winter mountain, winter mist. I did spend fifty bucks today on primer and painting supplies. (i had nothing to start with)

If winter mountain is less expensive than gray screen, and it's closer to a neutral n8, and I don't have any concerns about being able to clean the painted surface (it will likely never be touched... except by the cat...) and a n8 is appropriate for how small my screen is, how dark my room is, and how bright my projector is, wouldn't it make sense to go with winter mountain over gray screen?

Winter Mountain and Winter Mist are definitely within the neutral tolerance specs for D65. Gray Screen is within the near neutral range but is very close to D65. I went with it for the reasons I mentioned in the other threads and yes it works very well, but you won't have a problem with Winter Mountain either, not with a bright projector. If your video optimized lumen output ends up being lower than that, say 400 or less, you might want to stick with a lighter shade of gray, but it sounds like from what you're seeing it is a very bright projector, if so, you'll be fine with N8.

So yes, Winter Mountain is less expensive. I got it in the Valspar base and it was $9.50 for a quart. Not sure what they charge for a gallon. TV EZ Care is pretty inexpensive by the gallon though.

I'm certainly still open to the gray screen idea, but I figure I might as well save the 15 bucks on the gallon if winter mountain will work as well, if not better.
Yeah save your money. If you were going to be watching with lots of ambient lighting, especially incandescant lighting I might say spend the little extra on it, but doesn't sound like thats the case. Save some money and pick up a new DVD to watch when you're done!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #73 of 179 Old 09-22-07, 07:29 PM
jefft1314
Inactive

Thanks Bassett.

Your responses are fantastic, and quick to boot!

Also, there's a better than 80% chance that I won't be in this townhouse longer than a year. I'll be returning to school next year, and even if I end up local, I'll probably still opt to move closer to the school.

Last edited by jefft1314; 09-23-07 at 09:37 AM.

post #74 of 179 Old 09-22-07, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
Now that you mention the smoking... none of us smoke cigarettes in the house, but this is looking to be our primary, let's say, "recreational" smoking room. Given that little tid-bit, gray screen may be worth it for the durable matte finish?

Also, there's a better than 80% chance that I won't be in this townhouse longer than a year. I'll be returning to school next year, and even if I end up local, I'll probably still opt to move closer to the school.
You should be fine with the flat, just pointing out flats can show wear and any dirt, smoke or other things a lot quicker than other surfaces, but it is a real easy thing to fix.

The main benefit with Duration, and I want to say I'm not trying to sway you in that direction is not only the tougher finish, but it has a slightly higher surface sheen to it than flat paints, which equates to a slightly higher gain, but nothing I would say is astronomical. It will provide a little more vivid picture but it is $42 a gallon, so that's an added cost.

Seeing that you're only going to be there a year (renting I assume) you don't want to do anything that's going to cost you your security deposit and any of the grays being mentioned should fit that need well.

When you move, you might be ready for a full fixed frame setup, hopefully you'll be happy enough that you'll know where to come back to!

post #75 of 179 Old 09-23-07, 09:38 AM
jefft1314
Inactive

Considering the quality of responses and "service" I've been provided- mind you, that's *free* service, I'll absolutely be back when its time to build a nice 120" inch screen!

You guys have been great. Also, I think I will go with gray screen and paint tomorrow night instead of picking up winter mountain today. If it's too dark, and I don't think it will be, then it's a good thing I've still got half a gallon of kilz left. :-)

This board moves so much faster than avs, it's a wonder anybody bothers with that other forum. Even so, I do really appreciate Tiddler's work that he's done for me in that forum.

I'll be back with impressions after I get gray screen up tomorrow night.
post #76 of 179 Old 09-25-07, 01:49 AM
jefft1314
Inactive

Painted the wall with two coats of gray screen.

Everything looks good. The "black bars" in cinemascope movies are definitely still quite gray. The picture is definitely more watchable with lights on, however. Also, my whites are still brilliant. Nothing lost; very little gained. Definitely not worth the 40+ dollars or the time invested considering how little of my viewing will happen with lights on and how little my black levels were impacted. With that said, it was a fun experiment, if nothing else! I think I should have gone with my instincts and tried an N7. I think if I'm ever in such a short throw situation again, I'll give it a shot. I'll certainly let you guys know how it turns out.

For now, I need to finish felting the walls, put my rear speakers on the stands arriving tomorrow, and enjoy my home theater. :-)

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and help!

I'd love to share some pics, but I can't get my camera to sync with my pc.
post #77 of 179 Old 09-25-07, 06:33 AM

jeff, that's just the nature of the 710ae unfortunately and quite frankly the best fix for it is to mask off the borders and then reevaluate - pin up some black cloth and take another look.

once you can take your eyes off the much less than black bars on cinemascope movies you really tend not to notice that the blacks could be blacker and instead get mesmerized by the crazy amount of shadow detail.

i also still think it might be worthwhile you taking bill's advice and checking out an ND filter - that could be the perfect match.

did you recalibrate the color, contrast and brightness of the PJ for the new screen?
post #78 of 179 Old 09-25-07, 06:50 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
Painted the wall with two coats of gray screen.

Everything looks good. The "black bars" in cinemascope movies are definitely still quite gray. The picture is definitely more watchable with lights on, however. Also, my whites are still brilliant. Nothing lost; very little gained. Definitely not worth the 40+ dollars or the time invested considering how little of my viewing will happen with lights on and how little my black levels were impacted. With that said, it was a fun experiment, if nothing else! I think I should have gone with my instincts and tried an N7. I think if I'm ever in such a short throw situation again, I'll give it a shot. I'll certainly let you guys know how it turns out.

For now, I need to finish felting the walls, put my rear speakers on the stands arriving tomorrow, and enjoy my home theater. :-)

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and help!

I'd love to share some pics, but I can't get my camera to sync with my pc.
Jeff, you may also see an improvement over the next 1-2 weeks...the paint is still curing at this point.
post #79 of 179 Old 09-25-07, 08:26 AM
jefft1314
Inactive

I didn't recalibrate for brightness or contrast. I can't calibrate for colors because i'm missing the blue filter that came with my calibration disk. (**** it!)

I'll adjust for contrast and brightness tonight. It will be a while before I can pick up the avia disk, though, and do a proper calibration. I've been hemorrhaging money with the move. It seems I don't spend it in more than 50 dollar chunks, but with the pickup of a new game, the money spent in primer and paint supplies, the money for the gray screen, as well as speaker stands for my front and rear speakers, my play money is all but exhausted!

At any rate, I think you're right about masking the gray bars. I mean, I watched Kill Bill the other night, (on simply the kilz2) and I fell in love with the movie all over again. The blacks actually seemed fine in the picture, but if those gray bars aren't annoying. :-)

It looks like I'll be able to wrap up the theater room this weekend which should include my makeshift masking system. I'll report back, then!
post #80 of 179 Old 09-25-07, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Elite Shackster

Bill

Definitely recalibrate even if you can only get the contrast and brightness done, it really will make a huge difference.

What screen size and throw distance are you at?

For a 94" screen you'd have 21 fL of brightness, which is very bright! (That's adding 25% back in for a brand new bulb)

A border also provides a black reference for our eyes too, which helps some with those letterbox area. Check into an ND filter and I think you'll be all set and also be able to pull the filter as the bulb gets older and dimmer and still be very satisfied with the PQ all the way through the life of the bulb.