Very easy, fool-proof "hot swappable" screen frame? - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 36 Old 02-02-12, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System
Re: Very easy, fool-proof "hot swappable" screen frame?

Hey Harp!

Thanks for the encouragement! Man on a mission time. lol I'm really diggin' this triple black velvet. I went to the fabric store today and ended up in an antique store. To make a long and boring story short, the man that owned the place let me try cutting the tape with a hobby knife of some sort that looked like a scalpel. I messed up part of it, but most of the section I cut with an imperfect blade on an imperfect table in un-ideal condtions... turned out pretty professional looking! I was surprised. You can actually make black velvet border tape for pretty cheap!

Announcement: Yes people! It appears that you too can make cheap black velvet border tape pretty easily! (But give me some time to verify this. lol) Work in progress here. I'm excited about this one little thing right now. I never knew black velvet strips could be so exciting! I'm a dork I know. Oh well. *sigh*

Harp, if it were you, would you use spray adhesive or double-sided tape? Which do you think you would be fighting with the most? Or which would be easiest, best-looking? That's the part I'm wondering about. I'm thinking that single-sided would be easier to acquire in the desired widths. Hmm.... I'll check on that re-positionable-ness! Good call good call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 02-03-12, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Update:

Okay, about making your own black velvet border... I just don't know. The cleanest cut I could get was by using scissors. But, the scissor cut just wasn't straight enough for my liking, even though it was straighter than I anticipated it would be! Velvet doesn't like to play nice. I tried a snap-off blade knife, scissors, and a hobby knife. IME, the scissors worked the best. It is "doable". I don't know if I can recommend it to a friend or not. Leaning towards no.

Working with tape has given me a new idea. Black flocking powder onto double-sided tape. Eh? eh? (Eh, maybe just flocking without the tape.)

Anyway... Round 2:

Last edited by j0nnyfive; 02-03-12 at 01:35 PM.
post #33 of 36 Old 02-04-12, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Update: For now, I'm going to skip adding a black border to my screen. I'm not sure it helps in my particular situation. 2 areas I believe it does help: Overscan and perceived brightness. 1 area I believe it hurts: Perceived image size (thicker the border, smaller the screen seems). 1 area I'm not convinced of yet: contrast. I'm going to experiment by simply leaving it off for now. But, if I do add one later, I believe I'll look into flocking first. If that is a no-go, then I may break down and buy that black border tape. I hope I don't break down though. lol

post #34 of 36 Old 02-11-12, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Update: I've decided to just paint the wall. Yep. It's not that I don't like the Sintra idea, but I'm going to save money on Sintra and shipping and put that money toward a colorimeter. I really think if you're going to get into projection, it's worth it to learn a little about calibration. It's fun! And you can calibrate all your TVs too! And your friends' TVs! And your... you get the idea.

I've also had the opportunity to test my HT with and without a border, back and forth, back and forth. And, I really went back and forth on whether I actually liked it better with or without a black border. My screen is 110" with a 3.5" black velvet wrapped wood frame. I ripped the blackout cloth screen out of my border and just used my wall with the border around it.

I'm an odd duck, I know, but here are my thoughts on why I prefer to go borderless for MY setup:

1. I really enjoy the limitless freedom of creating a picture at whatever size I feel at the time.

2. I use the screen size changing to tweak my brightness a bit. Hey, whatever works!

3. I like the look of my "floating screen." It has this almost holographic look to it IMO. "Out-of-nowhere".

4. For some reason, the black border makes me think TV instead of theater. Kinda looks dated for some reason. I don't know why.

5. To me, the screen looks bigger without a border. I have no idea why this is, but I feel its definitely true (for me). My theory is that the border gives my eyes something physical to "lock" onto and gives me an easy time perceiving the limits of the screen without looking directly at the border. I think that without the border, the screen stretches off into the "unknown" of my peripheral vision. I feel like I lose my perspective on size and get more immersed somehow. I'm theorizing. Keep in mind I'm one of those people that love an impractically big screen! Star Wars and Jurassic Park have to be BIG.

Anyway, I guess this ends the whole point of this thread, the "hot-swappable screen". I think that going with borderless paint seems like it's going to be the answer for me, for now. And a colorimeter.

Thanks for reading, and helping!

P.S. In case you want to know what paint I'm going with, I'm going to prime it with the Kilz first and use that as reference as per the great advice on this thread. I'll get my calibration equipment first and calibrate it to the white screen. If this isn't good enough, I'll drop to probably Elektra 8 or so. Or maybe Black Widow. Not sure how dark I want to go yet. Will be testing! Remember: It's a mess to guess. Thanks!
post #35 of 36 Old 02-23-13, 11:39 PM
Shackster

Ok, I wanted to PM you with an update to your thread, but I can't do PMs because of my post count. I'm also not allowed to post links.

So I'll just tell you.. go to google and type in quotes "My wa dw aluminum frame screen build".

I think you'll find this information most helpful. Also in my experience, I was able to fit a 5x10 sheet of DW in my compact import car quite easily with the front passenger seat folded down and placed in diagonally. Don't be scared.
I hope this info is helpful to you, cheers.
post #36 of 36 Old 02-25-13, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

My System

Hey Jesh! I looked at that 80/20 tubing. Very cool! I had seen that before, but couldn't remember what it was called. You fit a DW screen in your car!? Scary man. lol I like the idea of a lightweight frame. My biggest concern is how to deal with potential bowing in the middle of the screen. I COULD put some vertical support beams down the middle of the screen, but I'm concerned about what this might do to the acoustics. Any ideas? I'm all... eyes!