New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Page 15 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #141 of 144 Old 09-16-07, 08:41 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
Need a quick answer as this project will wrap today FINALLY. Can I top coat Winter Mist with just the matte poly #780 without any negative impact to performance of the screen? Not really concerned with whatever slight boost to gain it may provide, just trying to protect it from the dirty little hands of the house. Am I correct that the questions about viewing cone, color shift, etc. are only related to adding the pearl to the poly and that just the poly by itself will not alter the Winter Mist in any way? Thanks!
Once upon a time, I happened to ask the same exact question to the experts. Since you need a quick answer, I will tell you what I was told instead of you having to wait for their input.

"Yeah you should be able to put a poly coating on for protection but keep the coats thin."

There you have it...

You shouldn't introduce color shift, viewing cone issues, etc with the poly alone. (In fact, I have a 1x pearl topcoat and have no viewing cone issues that I can perceive).

Have fun!

BTW, how does the picture look now (without a topcoat)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 144 Old 09-16-07, 09:28 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I'd just do it. It may color shift. But probably nothing perceptible to you or your family/guests. There never was an issue with viewing cone with either the poly or the poly pearl. The issue that there was regarding the angle at which the topcoat ceases being beneficial to the basecoat - which is around 15-20 degrees.

Aren't most paints washable? I have to admit I'm not exactly up on this... can't they be wiped clean with a wet cloth?

mech
Mech, many truely flat paints aren't very washable at all...if they become dirty and you wash them, it can literally cause the look of the paint to change where you washed it (much of my house is flat paint, and I have 2 kids and a dog, so unfortunately I have lots of experience with trying to wipe down flat paint). This is because you have to almost scrub flat paints to get the dirt/stain off the wall. Matte paints are better. Something like eggshell (and higher glosses) are very washable...unfortunately we can't use them for screen paints.
post #143 of 144 Old 09-16-07, 11:01 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Sounds like we should be looking into matte paint then! Although I'm sure Todd has already done this... now I have to go and find out what his conclusions were and why we're still using flat.

mech
Some call flat a 'matte' finish. I think pastel would be more accurate since it looks like a soft pastel when dry. Flat paints look awesome, but don't keep that look over time. That definitely would be one benefit of a poly coating that's for sure.

Not all paint manufacturers make an actual 'matte' finish, which is a slight surface sheen between a flat finish and an eggshell finish. They also 'toughen up' the paint to make it more durable and cleanable. That way you get that soft pastel look, but it doesn't show every dirt mark and can even be washed to an extent.

My personal opinion is a straight flat paint screen is a temporary setup. Sooner or later it's going to show some dirt, or if you smoke, yellowing- and there's no way to really clean it. On the plus side, it's so inexpensive that putting another coat on really isn't a big deal unless the border can't be separated from the screen, then it would be a logistical nightmare.

A simple poly coating solves any potential cleaning issues that come with a flat paint and makes it a durable screen surface.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

post #144 of 144 Old 09-16-07, 11:23 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

I only recommend the Behr UPW Flat #1050 for rough surfaces where a flat paints is necessary. Otherwise I only suggest using it for a base coat to be top coated with polyurethane or a pearl clear coat.

If you need a durable but nearly flat finish I suggest the Behr Exterior ULTRA UPW #4850. It is a tough, flexible, self priming paint that has very small particles to make the surface much less porous. It too is a good choice for painting BOC or retractable screen surfaces.

If you are looking for a Behr one-can solution then the Behr UPW Flat Enamel has some sheen but still did not hot spot. It is meant to be scrub-able and more durable. I would call it an eggshell finish. At least it is very similar to Glidden's eggshell finish which I have used extensively in my home. I called the Behr help line and they confirmed that their finishes have slightly higher sheens than the competition.

Any of these can be later top coated with a polyurethane with or without a pearlizing additive.

Of the three paints I was most impressed with the ULTRA #4850. As Benven also reported it leveled out very well producing a very smooth flat finish. Given that it is an exterior paint touted to last twice as long and maintain it's color twice as long I would think this is an excellent choice for a screen paint. It is however a bit more expensive than the basic UPW.

Last edited by Tiddler; 09-16-07 at 11:43 PM.