New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 05:46 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
So that's what led me to look at painted options and any solutions that might combine the best of both worlds. I am very intrigued by the possibility of a pearl clear coating to further enhance one of Todd's mixes.

This is fun!
Paint, laminate, cloth, substrate or commercial screen I honestly feel in your situation you need a white screen with a 1.2-1.3 minimum gain and then take control of the ambient light with window treatments, that's exactly what I would do. Gray screens are going to typically be much lower gain than that, and having only 11-12 fL to work with, you're going to drop light fast and end up with muddy looking whites and dull colors. I definitely would not go any lower than an N9 shade as I mentioned earlier.

Here is a relatively easy and inexpensive way to see if white or gray is for you. If you are painting the room anyway, take a look at that link, even if you go with a different paint or screen option you'll only be out a few bucks to get a baseline and test two screens. You probably already have some Kilz2 around the house, and if not I really wouldn't count the price of a gallon as part of the screen cost since you'll be using it around the house for other projects.

By the way, did you check out the remote controlled curtain system?

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
I honestly feel in your situation you need a white screen with a 1.2-1.3 minimum gain and then take control of the ambient light with window treatments
Quote:
Gray screens are going to typically be much lower gain than that, and having only 11-12 fL to work with, you're going to drop light fast and end up with muddy looking whites and dull colors.
For my sitatuion, what are your thoughts on some of the well known SILVER painted screens? It was suggested to me that a few of the recent tweaks to those high gain ("HG") mixes get you higher than normal gain while maintaining reasonable ambient light performance. I know reasonable is a VERY subjective term and those mixes are more complex in terms of ingredients, preparation & application (spray), but I'm just wondering how they compare (for my situation) with some of the options that have been identified on this thread.

My inclination is to start simple and build my way up so I'm considering that heavily as I try to pick a starting point. I had pretty much ruled out a white screen based on everything I've read but you do make some fine points about controlling the source of the light instead of trying to manage AL performance at the screen. (Duh!)

Quote:
By the way, did you check out the remote controlled curtain system?
Very cool. Let me know if you find a remote controlled "beer & popcorn getter".
post #13 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 12:36 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
For my sitatuion, what are your thoughts on some of the well known SILVER painted screens? It was suggested to me that a few of the recent tweaks to those high gain ("HG") mixes get you higher than normal gain while maintaining reasonable ambient light performance. I know reasonable is a VERY subjective term and those mixes are more complex in terms of ingredients, preparation & application (spray), but I'm just wondering how they compare (for my situation) with some of the options that have been identified on this thread.

My inclination is to start simple and build my way up so I'm considering that heavily as I try to pick a starting point. I had pretty much ruled out a white screen based on everything I've read but you do make some fine points about controlling the source of the light instead of trying to manage AL performance at the screen. (Duh!)

Very cool. Let me know if you find a remote controlled "beer & popcorn getter".
Since they are a commercial company they should be able to answer questions as to what the gain and color breakdown is on both their commercial versions and the DIY version.

High Gain and higher than normal gain is also subjective and depends on the person. If a pro talks about gain being higher than other applications, there certainly is nothing wrong with asking for the test results and to see some spec sheets.

Starting simple is always a good choice if you don't feel comfortable with some of the advanced mixes and how to apply them. Todd's two step method is a very good screen option and performs just as well as some of the advanced mixes, as much as some may disagree with that.

There are some advantages to some of the mixes out there, how much of a performance increase is also subjective and you'll run into many unresolved debates on that topic.

Do whatever you feel comfortable with and don't let anyone sway you or push you into anything. That's probably the best advice I can give anyone.

post #14 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

I know that many of these questions have been asked many times and in many different ways so I appreciate your honest and thoughtful responses.

Oh for the simplicity of a laminate. But at $100++ it only makes sense as a beginner to start with one of the simpler paint mixes and work up from there. , what about finding a relatively inexpensive substrate (122") and painting one side with the Rosco's Off Broadway and the other side Todd's EF-05 + a poly/pearl top coat? Overkill? Shoot...maybe the best first step is just a few layers of Kilz2 or UPW.

I think two statements in this thread are contributing to some of the indecision on my part....

Quote:
tiddler wrote:
Quick answer: I think given the ambient light, larger screen, but higher output projector your choice of EasyFlex-5 with a poly top coat will work well.
and
Quote:
wbassett wrote:
I honestly feel in your situation you need a white screen with a 1.2-1.3 minimum gain
What kind of gain would I get with the EF-05 + poly option? Would it be anything comparable to unpainted DW?
post #15 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 01:44 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

First did you have a chance to look at 'see if white or gray is for you'?

I think Todd has some gain data taken awhile back. I'm not sure if things changed since those were taken.

If EasyFlex-5 is an N9 shade then it's something to consider. I have no issues with a gray screen at all, in fact I use one and my primary viewing is at night with total light control. My concern is the fL. Gray can go muddy real quick without enough lumens. People have made dual screens, so don't discount that option.

Are you going to be painting the room? If so I really do recommend painting the wall that the screen will be on with Kilz2 and spending a day or two watching the type of movies and programing you normally watch. Make sure to check out night time and day time viewing so you have a complete baseline. I'm going to say daytime viewing is not going to look very good at all with any light that's not controlled. If you don't like the blacks then progress to an N9 shade. I wouldn't worry about 'pop' at this point, you're just getting a baseline. You're also testing if gray or white suits your tastes.

post #16 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I think two statements in this thread are contributing to some of the indecision on my part...

What kind of gain would I get with the EF-05 + poly option? Would it be anything comparable to unpainted DW?
They seem contradictory but they really are not. I was assuming you would have ambient light even if you blocked the windows and painted the room dark. Something about football games and having buddies over I think was why I assumed that. Therefore a gray dark enough to tolerate some ambient light but light enough for you HD1000u to light up at a >120" screen size.

I think wbassett was assuming the opposite situation. You would deal with the ambient light and keep the room dark. Therefore a white screen with some gain would be called for.

So before we go any further you need to clarify the ambient light situation.
post #17 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 02:04 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Todd my concern was the screen size and fL. He's already in the area of 'increase projector brightness' area of operation, and that's based on light control. I was actually looking at both sides and I really can't see anything more than an N9 shade or things are going to look muddy and dull even at night when the lights are out.

post #18 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Quote:
First did you have a chance to look at 'see if white or gray is for you'?
Absolutely.....several times in fact and your tips there will be my jumping off point.

Quote:
wbassett wrote:
Are you going to be painting the room?
Yes! A nice shade of dark Texas A&M maroon of course.
Quote:
wbassett wrote:
If so I really do recommend painting the wall that the screen will be on with Kilz2 and spending a day or two watching the type of movies and programing you normally watch.
I'm going to do just that. One question -- and this will demonstrate my ignorance when it comes to painting -- if I apply a few coats (2? 3?) of Kilz2 and spend a few days, weekends, months, etc. evaluating on just the primed wall, will I have to put another fresh coat of Kilz2 on when I am ready to paint the wall with whatever? Probably not but I'm trying to ask all of the dumb questions I have not seen answers to.
post #19 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
Something about football games and having buddies over I think was why I assumed that........So before we go any further you need to clarify the ambient light situation.
You are correct. Although I do plan on treating the windows to bring the ambient light down some, I do not want to sit there in a cave with my buddies watching football on Sunday. And my wife is frequently up there reading so something that would allow for a small amount of indirect lighting in the seating area would be ideal too. So I guess I'm just looking for the best balance -- I do not intend to totally black out the room but as I said in the opening post, most of our viewing is at night anyway. I know........something about having cake and eating it too.
post #20 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 02:54 PM

Here is what you could do in the meantime. get a gallon of Behr UPW Flat Enamel #1850. Tint it a fairly light gray close to EasyFlex-02. It is a compromise between white and a darker gray. Paint the wall or screen area and watch some movies. Then you tell us if you want darker or lighter and we can go from there. You may even be happy with that as is. I heard very good things back from folks with the HD1000u.

Gallon Custom Tint
Behr Flat Enamel #1850
0 2 1 Lamp Black
0 1 0 Yellow Oxide

Edited to be very light gray.

When you first open the can put a paint stick straight in to the bottom and mark the level with a pen on the stick. Then divide the stick up into 4 equal lengths so that you can judge how much paint is leftover. Each mark will be a quart depth. This may be helpfully to adjust the tint darker if you want it darker after watching it for a bit.

This way you can break the stalemate and try something inexpensive and start to get a feel for it yourself. Once the base gray is sorted out we can talk about clear coats etc.

Last edited by Tiddler; 07-21-07 at 01:50 PM.