New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 144 Old 07-20-07, 07:25 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Todd my concern was the screen size and fL. He's already in the area of 'increase projector brightness' area of operation, and that's based on light control. I was actually looking at both sides and I really can't see anything more than an N9 shade or things are going to look muddy and dull even at night when the lights are out.
Ya I see that the Projector Central calculator indicates he is just outside the recommended size for his projector brightness. The strange thing is that my HD72 is also just outside the recommended brightness range for a my screen size and I am using an EasyFlex-06 in a white room. The HD1000u is about 490 optimized lumens while my HD72 is only around 350 optimized lumens.

I think we agree he could use a gray screen but not too gray. He should do as much to improve the room colors and control ambient light as much as he can. I did recommend a lower EasyFlex-04 for an interim solution to give him a base point to start from.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding or aapparent disagreement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 144 Old 07-21-07, 01:51 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
Absolutely.....several times in fact and your tips there will be my jumping off point.

Yes! A nice shade of dark Texas A&M maroon of course. I'm going to do just that. One question -- and this will demonstrate my ignorance when it comes to painting -- if I apply a few coats (2? 3?) of Kilz2 and spend a few days, weekends, months, etc. evaluating on just the primed wall, will I have to put another fresh coat of Kilz2 on when I am ready to paint the wall with whatever? Probably not but I'm trying to ask all of the dumb questions I have not seen answers to.
I think the the Kilz2 will be ok to use after a few weeks. It is a good choice of interim screen as well. If you wanted to try a light gray and prime too you could tint it also. A very light gray would be best. Even the previous tint I suggested may be too dark as a trial interim screen. So if you want to try a light gray instead of a pure white the here is a very light gray:

Gallon Custom Tint
Behr Flat Enamel #1850
Or Kilz2, or Kilz Premium
0 2 1 Lamp Black
0 1 0 Yellow Oxide
post #23 of 144 Old 07-21-07, 03:34 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

The sole reason I suggested just the Kilz2 was to calibrate and baseline his projector. It's really hard to tell if you improved things without knowing first exactly what a projector can do. Since the manufacturer uses a white unity gain screen, it just makes sense to do the same for baselining. That's really the main reason I recommended it.

From there 12th man can decide on or test a light gray and if he likes that over the white, we work on the optic coating If he doesn't like the gray better, throw on another coat of Kilz2 and pic a higher gain white option. At least he'll then know for sure and won't be second guessing things down the road.

I think we'll get him hooked up and happy!

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

post #24 of 144 Old 07-23-07, 10:57 AM
Banned!
Tiddler

Hey 12th Man, how about an update?

I've been thinking this over and I am going to revise my suggestions. I think wbassett was on the right track. I was trying to eliminate a step or two for you but in hind sight I think they are important steps for you to take and see for yourself. So here is what I would suggest:

Buy a gallon of Kilz2 or Kilz2 Premium primer. Using a paint stir stick measure and mark the depth of the primer in the gallon can. Apply a couple of coats of the white primer and look for any noticeable blemishes when it is still wet and glossy looking. These will need to be sanded and then another coat or two of primer applied. This will provide a matte white screen for you to evaluate given the ambient light conditions you will have.

If after a few good movie and game viewing sessions you want to try a gray then measure the depth of the remaining primer. Report the original depth and the current depth. Also give an indication of what makes you think a gray would be better. The idea is to help me select a shade of gray for you to try. Then I will give you a tint formula to take back to the store and get the remainder of the primer tinted.

Let us know what's happening. We are interested in your experiences and comments.
post #25 of 144 Old 07-24-07, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

Hey. Thanks for checking in. I did pick up the Kilz2 Sunday and plan to do exactly as you and wbassett have suggested as far as calibrating & establishing a baseline. I'll be rolling the primer this wekend and will report back once I have a chance to demo a little bit in various lighting conditions.
post #26 of 144 Old 07-24-07, 08:53 AM
Banned!
Tiddler

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
Hey. Thanks for checking in. I did pick up the Kilz2 Sunday and plan to do exactly as you and wbassett have suggested as far as calibrating & establishing a baseline. I'll be rolling the primer this wekend and will report back once I have a chance to demo a little bit in various lighting conditions.
Did you understand what I was asking you to do with the stir stick?
post #27 of 144 Old 07-24-07, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

I think so. The idea being that it will allow me to tell you exactly how much primer was applied, presumably because that would be a factor in recommending a specific tint formula at that point. No?
post #28 of 144 Old 07-24-07, 06:23 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Said another way, so he knows how much is left in the can after each iteration...allows him to scale down the ingredient mix from one gallon to whatever you have left for the next (grey) screen painting. The first time, it will tell him how much primer (only) is left. He can have you start with a very light shade, test it, and move progressively darker with each iteration (if appropriate, based on your feedback). He can accurately give you the incremental ingredient dosage for each iteration as long as you can continue to feed him the information that enables him to calculate how much is left in the can at any given time (via the prescribed stick method). You could even make that "stick" a metal ruler...and provide Todd with very accurate measurements along the way. Just dip it in after the ingredients are mixed, write down the measurement, and rinse under hot water. Repeat once you're done painting that mix, and give Todd the 2 measurements.

Now, I will wait for Todd to come and and tell me that I have it all wrong...at which point I'll edit my post and replace all of this rambling with "Nevermind".
post #29 of 144 Old 07-24-07, 07:17 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

Quote:
cynical2 wrote: View Post
Now, I will wait for Todd to come and and tell me that I have it all wrong...at which point I'll edit my post and replace all of this rambling with "Nevermind".
Absolutely Correct! I like your ruler idea too!
post #30 of 144 Old 07-24-07, 10:38 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
tiddler wrote: View Post
Absolutely Correct! I like your ruler idea too!

In the spirit of the Home Theater Shack (vs other unnamed locations that one may visit in the virtual land of "the internets"), I'd like to give credit to mech for the dancing banana idea. He thought of it first, and I simply reapplied it. In no way am I saying that my dancing banana is better than his. Although, mine does "look" better...just take a look at the pic...it's obvious.