New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Page 5 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #41 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Sounds like you may have wanted to paint a substrate then, huh? Major bummer! Let us know what we can do to help!
No doubt (in hindsight). I just never expected the wall texture to be an issue since I had never seen it shooting to my basic beige wall or even after rolling two coats of primer. i now realize that any high contrast paint is going to accentuate texture, blemishes, etc. Lesson learned.

With the size screen I am shooting for (120-126") the choice of substrates seemed pretty slim. Now I need to look in to that again and see what might work. For obvious reasons I find myself again wondering about a 122" DW or FG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 03:21 PM

I tend to agree with mechman. Get a quick fix in place to buy some time and rethink your situation. IfTrue Value is available that's great. If not then go to Home Depot and get some Behr UPW Flat-Enamel #1850. It can be easily rolled or sprayed on.

Your comment about texture and high contrast paint has one major flaw in it. It is the gain and viewing cone that cause wall texture or blemishes to be more visible. I'm not sure there is any such thing as a high contrast paint, but it does sound good doesn't it.

MississippiMan once mentioned that a sub-contractor mixed down some drywall compound with water and rolled it on a large screen area. He then sanded down the whole screen area to get a very smooth flat surface. I have found cheep chalky primer can be used in a similar way.

One thing for sure, one way or another we will get you setup without breaking the bank or your back.
post #43 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Thanks Tiddler. If availability is not an issue is the True Value Winter Mist the best option? I assume I would need to prime again since their are 6 sprayed and 1 rolled coat of SF on the wall right now?

With the time, money & effort I have invested in this project it only makes sense to take the advice I have been given by MM. I will roll two farily thick coats of the SF mix (as thick as it can be considering it has been thinned for spraying) and then if there is enough left, spray a final coat. If the texture is still there, that's it for me.

One of the things I will consider in the coming days is compromising my desire to have decent ambient light performance and seek an easy dark room solution. That gets back to the advice Wbassett gave me in the beginning to treat the problem at the source (windows) instead of at the screen. So if I want daylight viewing for Sunday afternoon football, etc. I will have to come up with a way to better control the light coming in. Just something to consider.

post #44 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 04:12 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

12th man, I honestly feel you can get excellent ambient performance as well as overall performance with OTS and Todds Tints. It was your screen size, lumens and room setting as to why I made the recommendations I did.

I have a screen up right now that fairs more than well against a much more expensive commercial screen (as in several thousand dollars for the same size screen) and ambient performance is almost beyond reproach.

Winter Mist is the most D65 neutral paint I have seen and tested, OTS, custom mixes/tints, or commercial.

I still recommend right now that you do what you have planned and use the SF and then if you're not happy rethink things. You already have it up, so why not give it best effort and see if you can get it fixed and working to your liking. If not, don't be afraid to ask for recomendations.

I'm sorry to hear that your first stab at DIY wasn't the greatest experience, but think of it like this- you could have spent a lot of money on a commercial screen and ended up unhappy with it, and worse, maybe even stuck with it as far as money spent.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #45 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 04:50 PM

I agree that you should follow through with MM's directions. I have no basis for comparison to the TV Winter Mist. I do know that the more neutral the gray the better it works. Surprisingly so. Wbassett's Gray Screen is a good example of how well a matte neutral gray can perform in ambient light conditions.

Did MM not suggest you give the screen a light sanding with a wet sanding sponge? That has been his recommendation in the past when texture was a problem. I could see sanding down the texture and then applying some rolled or sprayed coats may improve the surface. Good luck and keep us posted, we are interested and also learning from your experiences.
post #46 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

My biggest mistake was not addressing the texture up front. I started out rolling 2 coats of primer and then did only a light sanding followed by a sprayed third coat. I thought that the coats of primer would be sufficient since I had not had problems with the texture before. I know, a naive rookie mistake!

So his correcting advice was to roll 2 fairly thick coats of the remaining SF mix, sand lightly and then spray a third coat if I have enough paint left. Well, after rolling the two thick (or as thick as I can get given the mix has been thinned for spraying) it is clear that the texture problem is NOT going to go away. So the last suggestion had made was like what Tiddler mentioned earlier -- thinning drywall compound, sanding and starting from scratch with 3 primer coats + 7-8 more SF coats. No thanks. I tried but need to go in a different direction.

So as to the earlier question I had -- I assume I will definitely need to prime again no matter what painted application I go with? Probably a good place to get back to anyway -- a matte white screen so further evaluation can be done before picking the next step.

Thanks for your help guys -- it is most appreciated
post #47 of 144 Old 08-12-07, 06:48 PM

I think priming would be good before painting or rolling on some thinned drywall compound.
post #48 of 144 Old 08-13-07, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

I'll try to get some screen shots tonight or tomorrow before I start over with Kilz2. Mech, I'll let you check them out and provide some feedback before I post publicly. Thanks for your help!
post #49 of 144 Old 08-13-07, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

I want to make something clear as you guys continue to provide valued insight.

My unsuccessful first attempt at a DIY screen prompted some rethinking of my ultimate objective and preferences for this project. I have concluded that if there are trade offs to be made in whatever option I try next, I would like to favor the side of dark room performance and "pop" over ambient performance, black levels, etc. That is not to say I value those things any less but I do need to be mindful of the fact that we primarily use the projector at night and that's what I would choose to optimize for even if it means some sacrifice in other areas.

That said, how does Winter Mist do in a dark environment? After what I have been through I am obviously interested in OTS and other simple applications if the results are there. I have also read about an UPW with poly topcoat(s). Any thoughts on that?

Thanks guys for all your input.
post #50 of 144 Old 08-13-07, 11:34 AM

Winter Mist is a measured neutral gray paint. It is lighter at an N9 shade. It will not perform like wbassett's "Gray Screen" does in ambient light but it will be better than a white screen. You can apply a matte polyurethane top coat to any base latex, so you could top coat the Winter Mist. It will provide a very durable protective coating and add a little gain boost.

Here are a couple of photos to consider:

When I was investigating the Behr sheens I used these rough surface panels to demonstrate how a flat paint can tolerate surface blemishes. Roller texture is no exception. Due to the very wide viewing angle of a flat latex, texture is also invisible.

Take a look at these same two panels in the photo bellow.

These are the same two panels as shown above. The left one has a couple of coats of flat gray latex on it. The right one has had the same latex paint applied but a poly top coat was added. The poly top coat introduces a gain that is angle sensitive. It is not a sharp a sensitivity as a pearl clear coat or a metallic paint like SF though. It is however sensitive enough to make the very rough substrate much more visible than a flat paint alone.

The bottom line is that a flat or matte finish wall paint will not make the roller texture or wall blemishes visible in the image. Adding a polyurethane top coat will make significant wall blemishes more visible but in my experience it does not make the roller texture visible.

I think the choice of True Value Winter Mist is a good start over point for you. You may want to do a bit of sanding and priming first. I would suggest you paint a couple of sample panels 2'x4' while you are painting your screen. If you are inclined to try a polyurethane top coat then try it on the sample panel first. If you are starting to feel more adventurous down the road and want to try a Pearl Clear Coat then try it on the other sample panel first.