New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 144 Old 08-13-07, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

The "high gain" recipe was just added to the main thread 2 weeks ago around the time I started my project. Based on the instructions I was given before they published it, I used a little more pearl (42 oz) but everything else is basically the same and was followed strictly. Hope I am not stepping on toes by posting this here but it is publicly available on the other forum.

"SILVER FIRE HG" (High Gain)*

(base components)
36 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Pearl #02601
12 oz. Delta Ceramcoat Silver Metallic #02603
8 oz. Delta Pale Metallic Gold #02624
7 oz. Behr Interior UPW Flat #1050 (or Exterior #4050)

(viscosity components)
24 oz. Distilled / Tap Water
20 oz. Minwax Polycrylic - Satin Finish

(color components)
30 ml Delta Cardinal Red #02077
18 ml Windsor & Newtwon "Galleria" - Pthalo Green (PG7)
12 ml Delta Ultra Blue #02038
4 oz. Distilled / Tap Water

* use only .75oz of color components.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 144 Old 08-13-07, 11:03 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

67.5% = Metallic Paints = 56 oz.
24% = Polyurethane = 20 oz.
8.4% = Behr UPW #1050 = 7 oz.

The other metallic mixes that I am familiar with such as RS-MaxxMudd and my own White Pearl mix were ratios as follows:

57% = Metallic Paints = 8 parts
28.5% = Polyurethane = 4 Parts
14% = Behr UPW #1050 = 2 Parts

It is hard to imagine how this would not result in a very shinny surface. The only flattening ingredient in the mix is the UPW and it has been reduced to 8.4% from 14%.

I also thought they had switched over to the Behr Matte Poly.
post #63 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

wbassett, can you look at post #68 above and comment?

I really like the liner paper idea as a way to make sure texture is not a factor in whatever screen application I try next. To clarify, is the drywall compound only applied at the seams and sanded or do you spread a thin coat over the entire surface of the paper?

Thanks!

Last edited by 12th Man; 08-14-07 at 12:29 PM.

post #64 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

Quote:
Cynical2
[IMPERSONATION
wrote:
"he ain't got a skreen as smoooth as a baby butt like he's s'posed to...how can he 'spect the light to fuze when his skreen looks like the fargin' Rocky Mountins?"
[/IMPERSONATION]
I got a good chuckle out of that.

Quote:
Like others have said, maybe it'll be OK if you finish the application and let it cure???
I did finish out the application using the "last ditch" suggestions he provided. Granted it has only been a few days but I have observed no change in the projected image and the amplification of the wall texture. It's time to try something else.

Honestly, since I am very familiar with the process and instructions, I would probably consider giving SF another try once my texture issues are resolved if not for the relatively expensive sum of all the parts I would need to buy again, if I had a reason to keep the Wagner, and most importantly, if I was highly confident that I would get different and desired results next time.

Last edited by 12th Man; 08-14-07 at 11:46 AM.
post #65 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 01:25 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
wbassett, can you look at post #68 above and comment?

I really like the liner paper idea as a way to make sure texture is not a factor in whatever screen application I try next. To clarify, is the drywall compound only applied at the seams and sanded or do you spread a thin coat over the entire surface of the paper?

Thanks!
Just the seam unless when you see low spots when you look across it from the sides. In my case I don't have drywall and the lathe and plaster did have some minor low spots.

I used premixed mud that came in a gallon bucket and a 12" trowel to spread it very thin over the seam. With a wide trowel and going light with the mud you can almost get it smooth enough, but definitely sand it smooth! You only need the fine side of a 3M sanding block, the coarse side will take too much off and leave grooves in the mud.

Tip: Don't put the mud up until the glue on the liner paper is fully dry. You may even see some bubbles in the paper which may freak you out, but if you have wallpaper paste all over the back side of the liner paper, it will pull in when it dries. That's really what takes the longest... waiting for things to dry. That screen you see in the thread Working with Rough Walls only took a week working on it in my spare time from start to finish and watching a movie. If you were to work on this over a weekend, you could probably knock it out before Monday.

I'll take a look at post #68 in a bit, work is being hectic today.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #66 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 01:42 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
A little extra work but this sounds like a good approach for whatever screen application I end up going with (as you said). So I've been reading up on liner paper and found some of your old posts on the old forum with good information. Is wallpaper paste the recommended way to get it on the wall? Then I would skim some drywall compound over the seams, sand and put a few layers of primer down? If the paper comes in rolls that are 26" wide I would need three rolls for my approx 62" tall screen.

How thick is the paper? Does the texture not come through the paper at all?
Here is the link to Working with Rough Walls.

Everything is outlined there, but for quick answers, it's not a lot of extra work, but tedious waiting for things to dry and putting the liner paper up is a two person job.

You can get the liner paper at Lowes or any wallpaper store. Unfortunately Home Depot doesn't sell it anymore. It is thick, but workable. It is made specifically to cover rough walls, concrete, cinder blocks, and paneling prior to painting or putting wall paper up so you have a smooth surface. It comes in a roll that's 26" wide by around 30' long. That's enough for at least two 52x92 screens. You're screen is larger so you'll need three strips and then mark off the screen from there. You should be able to do it with one roll.

post #67 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Thanks!

I went to Lowe's on my lunch and picked up the paper and supplies.

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
I used premixed mud that came in a gallon bucket and a 12" trowel to spread it very thin over the seam.
Ooops! I only bought a 1/2 pint of this stuff!
We'll see how far it goes!

post #68 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 03:01 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Is the DryDex pasty or a bit soupy and sloppy looking, like, well, mud! If it's spackle it will work but not as well or as easy as regular drywall mud. Sorry about not saying that and possibly causing another trip.

post #69 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

It's a spackling compound. I have only used it once before and would consider it thicker than "soupy" if memory serves. I had found one of your posts on AVS from January in which you said you used "the kind that goes on red and dries white". Well, that struck a chord of familiarity with me because this DryDex goes on red (well, pink) and dries white. It was only $3 for the 1/2 pint I bought so guess I'll give it a try before heading back to the store.

My next door neighbor owns a sign company and my first order of business is checking with him on any large PVC sheets he can order at a reasonable price in which case I can take all this other stuff back to the store and move on!
post #70 of 144 Old 08-14-07, 04:17 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
I did finish out the application using the "last ditch" suggestions he provided. Granted it has only been a few days but I have observed no change in the projected image and the amplification of the wall texture. It's time to try something else.
Well, that stinks. It's tough to deal with wall texture when it covers such a big area. In all seriousness, I don't doubt that the guys who came up with SF have gotten great results. Some of their screenies look incredible...

I think it is just a tough application to apply. Everything needs to be just right, and it doesn't seem to be too forgiving. My wall looked like after I put Kilz2 on it...found all kinds of dents, high spots, low spots, etc once the screen was bright white and I put a bright halogen bulb on it. But, when watching a movie, it looked just fine. I didn't notice any of the imperfections.

With a glossy finish like silver, it will probably show every imperfection in the screen, which means that texture, overall flatness, etc become that much more imporant (not that you don't already know this...).

Personally, if you believe in your heart of hearts that SF if the best mix for your viewing situation, I wouldn't have any hesitation with trying again over liner paper. I might go to HD and get a sheet of Thrifty White or Do-able (either is about $10-15) to practice on 1st, though. You could give it a try on that while you're waiting for your liner paper to dry. If you can't get what you want on the "perfect" substrate of Do-able or Thrifty-white, I think I'd forget the idea of SF and look for another alternative.

Anyway, good luck and keep us updated!

Last edited by cynical2; 08-14-07 at 04:40 PM.