New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Page 9 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #81 of 144 Old 08-15-07, 01:45 PM

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
Just to confirm, the sample on the right is one bottle of Folkart Metallic White Pearl mixed in one quart of Behr Matte polyurethane #780 and rolled on in two coats, correct? Any plans to add to the comparison a sample of the 1x Folkart Pearlizing Medium + poly mix?
I assume you are talking about these three photos:

Left Panel, left half == Behr UPW #1050

Left Panel, right half == Behr UPW #1050 \ Behr Matte Polyurethane #780

Right Panel == behr UPW #1050 \ 1xPearl (1 bottle (2oz.) of Folkart Pearlizing medium mixed in one quart of Behr Matte Polyurethane #780)

The Folkart Metallic White Pearl is more readily available but has less pearl in it. To get the same gain from the Folkart Metallic White Pearl you would need to add 2 bottles of the pearl to the quart of matte poly. I strongly recommend the Pearlizing Medium because it has no white pigment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 144 Old 08-15-07, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. I'm straight now...
post #83 of 144 Old 08-15-07, 04:56 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
Yes. Sorry for the confusion. I'm straight now...
If you decide to use the Pearlizing medium (as I have), you should be aware that I was unable to find it anywhere. I ended up ordering it online...apparently, in Canada it's available at Wal-mart. All of the Wal-marts in my area (Cincinnati) had only the Metallic Pearl, but not the medium.

There's a list of stores that I tried in my screen thread, along with a reco for the place I ordered it.

If you decide to go with the Pearlizing medium, and you do find a local source, please post the location it so others in the states will know where to look.

Good luck!

post #84 of 144 Old 08-15-07, 11:08 PM

12th Man,

I know you applied 2 heavy coats of SF with a roller.

Did you take the texture photos after those two coats?

Have you done anything to the screen yet?

If you have done no more than a light sanding are you willing to risk $20?
post #85 of 144 Old 08-15-07, 11:36 PM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
Anyway, it's made from 1x3 poplar. Where I deviated was I used Black Suede instead of the ever popular Black Velvet. Why? I wanted to see if it would work. I got it at Walmart for around $2.50 a yard, so three yards was outrageously inexpensive.
Bill, I saw that suede material at Walmart, and right now it is my leading candidate for a frame wrap. To my eyes (which admittedly may not be very discerning), it looks really good...and definitely the best value. I brought a sample home and it looks to me like it's very comparable to velvet samples that I've had sent to me.

What do you think about the material? Would you have any reservations about using it for your "permanent" frame? Or am I just completely missing the boat on the benefits of velvet?
post #86 of 144 Old 08-15-07, 11:54 PM
Elite Shackster

Bill

No reservations at all. I have a native 4:3 throw and it handles the spill very well. If I had a 16:9 throw and just needed a black reference and something for 'slight spill' I say it works fantastic.

And looks good too.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken
post #87 of 144 Old 08-16-07, 12:25 AM
Senior Shackster
Jim

Quote:
wbassett wrote: View Post
No reservations at all. I have a native 4:3 throw and it handles the spill very well. If I had a 16:9 throw and just needed a black reference and something for 'slight spill' I say it works fantastic.

And looks good too.
Good, thanks for the info. That confirms what I've been thinking. I'm considering using some other colors for the room walls since the price is so reasonable.

Would you have any reservations using it as a wall covering... maybe black everywhere on the screen wall, surrounding the screen...and other colors on the other 3 walls? Do you think it would look like a quality job, or "cheap"?
post #88 of 144 Old 08-16-07, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

Quote:
Did you take the texture photos after those two coats?
Yes.

Quote:
Have you done anything to the screen yet?
Nothing else. Following the 5 or 6 duster coats (can't remember which one I stopped at), I rolled on 2 "heavy" coats but heavy is relative. The mix is very thin for spraying so I loaded the rollers up as much as I could and got some pretty long paint runs that I had to work with the roller to blend in.

The next step would have been to sand lightly and spray a final topcoat but at that point it was clear upon shooting an image to the dried wall that further coats would be fruitless in solving the texture problem. So that's where it stands.

Quote:
If you have done no more than a light sanding are you willing to risk $20?
Absolutely. Let me know what you're thinking.
post #89 of 144 Old 08-16-07, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

Todd,

By the way, I saw this from you on Cynical's thread...

[PIE]I wish I had seen the 12th Man's surface texture and sheen before he did any sanding. I suspect a poly top coat would have solved his problem.[/PIE]
For the record, the sanding I did was pretty light and sweeping as per my original instructions. I did not go back and do any additional sanding after the texture problem cropped up because it seemed that no amount of sponge sanding was going to work.
post #90 of 144 Old 08-16-07, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Absolutely. Let me know what you're thinking.
I see that you ran across my comment in Cynical2's thread about the matte poly.

So now you know what I was thinking. If the light sanding has simply smoothed out the texture some and not gone too terribly deep into the SF, or through it, you could try a matte poly top coat. It will eliminate any surface sheen.

Now that you have sanded lightly, the peaks of the texture will be matte and the valleys will still have some sheen. That will make the texture even more visible. The poly will equalize the surface sheen over the peeks and valleys.

I can't see any metallic flakes in your texture photos. Can you see them with your eyes?

If just the matte poly seems too simple and you want something a little more exotic you could add a bottle of Folkart Pearlizing Medium or Folkart Metallic White Pearl to the quart of Behr Matte Polyurethane #780. I think you would still get good results with just the polyurethane though. There should have been lots of mica from the Delta metallic paints. Did you rinse the little bottles out well with poly and water when making up the SF? Did you stir the satin poly well before adding it to the mix?

In Canadian dollars:
$19 Quart Behr Matte Polyurethane #780
$4 3/16" - 1/4" Nap White Synthetic Roller sleeve
$3/$2 Folkart Pearlizing Medium / Metallic White Pearl
Top coating SF is NOT something I have tried myself.
What I have tried is top coating a semi-gloss enamel that looked like this:

The matte poly killed that surface sheen that makes the roller texture so apparent in the above screen shots.

Here is what a nice matte surface sheen would look like under bright projector light:

NOTE: The roller texture is similar on the two samples above. Surface sheen and roller texture bad, Eh. Surface sheen is something I avoid like the plague.

Remember Bill said you could have just as much trouble with a commercial screen. Here is a side by side of my variation of RS-MaxxMudd (SF jr) and my original commercial screen surface on the right. Talk about grainy texture. That's why my retractable got painted.

The other question I would have is do you think the shade of gray is dark enough for your ambient light conditions?

Last edited by Tiddler; 08-16-07 at 09:07 AM.