New Shackster needs a Painted Screen! - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 144 Old 07-18-07, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Howdy y'all!

Brand new to the HTS. My search for a DIY solution landed me here and I immediately recognized many of you fellas from that other place so that was nice. So far this is the only board I have looked at but I love the look and especially the great information stuck to the top. OK...all kissing aside....

I'll try to keep this brief and yet provide the information you will need to make some awesome suggestions.

My "theater" is actually a 20x20 game room. There are 2 medium sized windows on the side of the room where the projector & screen are so ambient light IS an issue for daytime viewing. We have 2" faux wood blinds on the windows and plan to get some blackout curtains but for now, there is very little light control when the sun's up.

However, the majority of our usage is after dark, if and when the kiddies actually go to bed. I do watch a TON of football though so I am looking for a solution that performs adequately in moderate ambient light situations while sacrificing the least amount of the pop & color you get with dark rooms & white screens. Am I asking for the Holy Grail?

My projector is the popular Mitsubishi HD1000 and it sits at 17' throw. Currently projecting a 122-130" image to a "builder beige" drywall with light texture. And I must say, it's not bad at all as is so maybe that gives you an idea of my overall expectations. I am not a videophile or perfectionist -- just looking to improve what I can without dropping a lot of $$.

I do not consider myself a handyman so please keep that in mind. However, I do pick things up quickly, follow instructions well, and most of all -- have the time & patience to get it right. Elsewhere it was suggested that one of the more involved spray on Silver mixes would yield the best performance, and be that as it may, I am still intrigued by some of the simpler roll on solutions such as Tiddler's.

So what shall it be? Any advice you can provide is GREATLY appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
12th Man

Re: New Shackster needs a Painted Screen!

Good morning and thanks for the reply.

I will indeed continue pouring over the threads you mentioned. I spent most of the last few days (at work, no less ) reading and one of the things that lead me to create my own thread, for example, is not knowing which of the 8-9 (?) EasyFlex formulas Tiddle created would be bst for me. I had the Easy-Flex 04 or 05 mixes in mind but I'm not sure what I was basing that on.

Some sort of a "sticky" selection guide for the latest painted screen options would be a GREAT tool to develop but the information here is plentiful and much appreciated.

Last edited by 12th Man; 07-19-07 at 08:01 AM.
post #3 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 10:56 AM
Elite Shackster

Bill

Quote:
12th Man wrote: View Post
Some sort of a "sticky" selection guide for the latest painted screen options would be a GREAT tool to develop but the information here is plentiful and much appreciated.
Todd's EasyFlex are a sliding gray scale much like the Munsell gray scale. He updates the tint formula information but the names remain the same. That way people don't have to run around with a bunch of different application names, some which may have become obsolete and outdated.

The threads I have been working on deal with Off The Shelf (OTS) paints that have been identified as neutrals or near neutral. Together the EasyFlex and OTS options should provide a person with an easily accessible avenue for a base screen. Some of the paints work exceptionally well as a simple one step screen method, others may benefit from the use of a poly or soon pearl clear (optical) coating. Either way it's an easy one or two step application method.

The reason we went this way was to keep things simple yet yield exceptional performance. Some people have a favorite brand of paint, some may not have certain brands available in their area, so doing a one brand only catch all solution limits the options people have.

Todd and I talk on forum and off about this and keeping things simple but good.

We are working on some tools that match projector Lumens, room settings and lighting conditions with recommended application methods. That way a person can do some of the initial groundwork themselves and then ask any questions they may have about a particular application. I can't say when that will be completed, but in the next month or two I hope.

I would like to key it off the Lumen chart and have a breakdown from there, but am open to any input and collaborative efforts anyone wants to provide.

Here is the lumen chart, this may help you on a start as to what your projector can do and from there more details can be gathered for a solution.

Keep in mind even though your projector is rated at 1500 Lumens, your screen size has to be taken into consideration as well as video optimized Lumens.

Based on your first post, with the HD1000U at 17' and the size screen you are putting out you'll have roughly 11-12 fL of light at the screen. At that level I would definitely have to recommend a white screen with a little bit of gain. You need something between 1.2 and 1.3 in gain, and we can point you in a couple of directions.

Wilsonart Designer White is in my opinion pretty much the reference standard when it comes to white screens. Do-able is also a white reference screen in my opinion, but it doesn't come in the size you are looking for. Designer White maxes out at 122" diagonal.

UPW would be one of the painted options, and with the poly coating it also meets your gain requirements.

If you really want something great, check into Rosco's Off Broadway White White. It's a matte vinyl acrylic based paint that is actually acknowledged by Rosco as a screen paint. It's like a liquid version of Designer White. The downside... you have to either order it on-line through them or check their store locater to see if there is a local distributor near you. If I remember correctly it's around $28 a gallon, so you could actually paint your entire wall for an 'inviso-screen'.

Your setup isn't going to be very ambient light friendly at all. Without a screen with gain, you're already at the 'recommend a higher brightness projector' or reduce the screen size or increase the screen gain. Since you're already on the cusp, any ambient lighting is really going to kill the image and wash it out. Gray would be the recommendation, but you are already maxing your Lumen output and the only shade of Gray I would recommend would be nothing darker than an N9 shade. Personally, I think it would be smarter to attack any ambient light issues at the source.

You can get window film at any Lowes or Home Depot that cuts down on the incoming sunlight and UV. Put that up on all your windows and definitely go with some Blackout Cloth for the curtains. (BOC comes in more colors than just white, so you can dress things up a bit too with some color) Between the window film treatment (which is relatively inexpensive and easy to put up) and the BOC you will be surprised at how much control you can take over the situation.

Now for some coolness factor stuff... not necessary, but very easy and very cool...

Remote Controlled Curtains!

Lastly, keep any incandescent light sources away from the screen.

"Make everything as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

"If all else fails, spin the cat."- Grzboken

post #4 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 11:53 AM
Banned!
Tiddler

Things are crazy at work today, so I will read this thread carefully and reply as soon as I can, but it may be this evening.
post #5 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 12:16 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

Quick answer: I think given the ambient light, larger screen, but higher output projector your choice of EasyFlex-5 with a poly top coat will work well. If you want to keep it simple, start with a EasyFlex-04 without the poly but use the Behr Flat Enamel 1850.

I usually get 2 coats out of a quart on a 120" screen so you probably need a gallon of paint and you will get at least one top coat from a quart of polyurethane, maybe two.

Gallon tints:

================
EasyFlex-05
Gallon Behr UPW #1050
0 20 0 Lamp Black
0 08 0 Yellow Oxide
================

================
EasyFlex-04
Gallon Behr UPW #1850
0 16 0 Lamp Black
0 06 Yellow Oxide
================

Be sure to look at the Basic Roller Painting Instructions.
post #6 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 12:27 PM
Shackster
Harry Muscle

Sorry to bud in ... I was away for a week or two from the forum and just finally got a chance to read over some of the newer posts. I'm still leaning to go with the #1850 Easy Flex 05 or 06 solution ... but when did the formula change? Is there a post I missed with all the updated information?

Thanks,
Harry

Last edited by Harry Muscle; 07-19-07 at 04:03 PM.
post #7 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Quote:
Harry Muscle wrote:
Sorry to bud in ... I was away for a while from the forum and just finally got a chance to read over some of the newer posts. I'm still leaning to go with the #1850 Easy Flex 05 or 06 solution ... but when did the formula change? Is there a post I missed with all the updated information?

Thanks,
Harry
My first thought was that he only proportionately increased the values to produce a gallon mix since the "standard" formula is for a quart. My second thought was that I am still squarely in the "dont' know what I'm talking about" camp and better let tiddler respond.

Last edited by 12th Man; 07-19-07 at 02:42 PM.
post #8 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

Thanks for chiming in mech, wbassett and tiddler. I am still carefully reading all of your posts and will surely have more questions as I progress my decision making and learning.

I am certainly open to any option and have been looking at laminate as well. I ordered some of the 8"x10" samples of DW and FG from WilsonArt and taped them up in small 16"x20" squares to compare to each other and the drywall. Not big but big enough to show some performance differences. During the day, with blinds closed but leaking in through the cracks, the FG probably looked the best in terms of contrast and retaining detail but it was a tad on the dark side. The DW seemed to do a great job with the colors, especially in a dark room, but it really looked washed out during daytime (a.k.a. football time) testing.

So that's what led me to look at painted options and any solutions that might combine the best of both worlds. I am very intrigued by the possibility of a pearl clear coating to further enhance one of Todd's mixes.

This is fun!
post #9 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
12th Man

All three stores you mentioned (SW, HD & Lowes) are all < 5 miles from me. So my issue will not be access to supply but picking a solution that works for my pj/room.
post #10 of 144 Old 07-19-07, 04:09 PM
Banned!
Tiddler

Quote:
Harry Muscle wrote: View Post
Sorry to bud in ... I was away for a week or two from the forum and just finally got a chance to read over some of the newer posts. I'm still leaning to go with the #1850 Easy Flex 05 or 06 solution ... but when did the formula change? Is there a post I missed with all the updated information?

Thanks,
Harry
I originally used a 2:1 ratio of LB:YO but the spectral reflectance curves from the Behr Color Lab suggested backing of slightly on the Yellow Oxide. The ratio I am working with now is 5:2. I'm not even sure I could tell the difference. I have painted screens with quart formulas of 0 6 0 LB + 0 2 0 YO, 0 6 0 LB + 0 3 0 YO, and I have made up some samples of 0 5 0 LB + 0 2 0 YO. The difference is very slight. the 0 6 0 LB + 0 2 0 YO is a ever so slightly cooler looking than the 0 6 0 LB + 0 3 0 YO.

It is also true that those formulas above were for a gallon. I multiplied the quart tints by 4 to get the gallon tint. His screen is larger than 120" therefore a quart may not make it for two coats.

I was going to add to the post with the tints that the HD1000u at 17' can throw an image from 117" to 144". I would be inclined to go with 120" for a bit brighter image.