Help Wanted! Want to paint screen - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 10 Old 05-01-12, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Help Wanted! Want to paint screen

Hello HTS! I just picked up an oldie but goodie ae900u panny. I am asking for your advice for a simple and inexpensive screen that will help this pj look it's best. This pj is rated at 1100 lumens and I am putting it in my basement theater that is 9x16. I have a black ceiling and med. gray walls. I would like to watch sports during the day and some light on during night because my basement has multi-purpose uses. Being the basement was just complete, I would prefer to roll on the paint so I don't have to make a mess with spray. Seating will be about 10-11' and throw distance can be 11-12'. I'm hoping to build 100" diag. Keep in mind this pj is only 720p and I am planning to use it until my kids get a little older and I can afford a nice 3d 1080p. I will be watching sports and blu ray. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-01-12, 10:25 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Help Wanted! Want to paint screen

Hello 69Mach1! Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

With your PJ placement and desired screen size you are getting around 17 foot-candles of image brightness (maybe a bit more in the brightest modes). Folks usually use the brighter modes for watching sports where color fidelity doesn't usually matter as much, and the dimmer (but more color correct) modes for movies.

It sounds like you have reflections from your HT walls and ceiling pretty much under control. If you can design your room lighting so it won't directly impact the screen area I think you could use a very light gray screen paint. The first I would recommend is our C&S™ Ultra mix that is around N9 (a very, very light gray), but it has the gain of a white screen. If you don't want to bother mixing two paints and some water together and would rather simply buy a can of paint and roll it on your screen then I would recommend Valspar Ultra Premium interior latex in eggshell finish tinted to match the color Glidden 'Snowfield'. The Valspar paint is available from Lowe's and is just a hair darker than C&S™ Ultra.

Both of these paints can be rolled. Use the best quality roller covers you can find. The shorter the nap on the covers the less texture they will add to the screen. Don't use foam rollers.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-02-12, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks! should I paint the wall or use a white hardboard or some other substrate? It is all new sheetrock, so painting it would be easiest and I can trim out a velvet boarder to give a nice look.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-02-12, 11:43 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
69Mach1 wrote: View Post
Thanks! should I paint the wall or use a white hardboard or some other substrate? It is all new sheetrock, so painting it would be easiest and I can trim out a velvet boarder to give a nice look.
As long as the wall is fairly smooth (it doesn't need to be "baby bottom" smooth) the sheetrock should make a good screen substrate. The thing you need to watch out for is texture differences in the wall (or any other screen substrate) as these will show in the finished screen.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-02-12, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yes it is smooth, how would this paint compare to an elite cinegrey or jamestown gray screen? I know the paint is less expensive and thats what I'm looking for but will the overall performance be enhanced with a screen material opposed to paint?
post #6 of 10 Old 05-02-12, 03:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Yes it is smooth, how would this paint compare to an elite cinegrey or jamestown gray screen? I know the paint is less expensive and thats what I'm looking for but will the overall performance be enhanced with a screen material opposed to paint?
The Cinegrey is a N8 neutral gray screen, don't know about the Jamestown.

You could get a similar screen to a Cinegrey by painting your sheetrock with Sherwin-Williams Proclassic satin finish tinted to 'Unique Gray'.

The paints I recommended to you were N9 so they would be a lighter gray. The darker N8 would give you more perceived image contrast, but at the cost of a bit of image brightness.

If you are worried about being able to make your own screen, a commercial screen will work well for you and be a lot less work. The main reasons to build your own screen are to save a bit of money, but also to be able to fine-tune your screen to your needs as to level of gray. There is also a sense of accomplishment that comes from building your own screen that no commercial screen can give you. When done properly, DIY screens are every bit as good as commercial screens (if not better ).
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-12, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thank you for the reply and advice. As a repeat and to make sure I understand you correctly the "snowfield" (N9) would brighten the image more than the "universal gray" (N8). But the N8 will give me better contrast and blacks correct??? Is there one that will be better with ambient light during day or at night with a dim light or lights on in other part of basement like kids play area. I am able to completely black out the room, but not sure how often that will be...(probably not much with 2 little boys unless they are sleeping)
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-12, 05:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Thank you for the reply and advice. As a repeat and to make sure I understand you correctly the "snowfield" (N9) would brighten the image more than the "universal gray" (N8). But the N8 will give me better contrast and blacks correct???
Correct. BTW, 'Universal Gray' is a Glidden neutral gray that is N8.3, not N8 (it's just enough lighter than a true N8 for the difference to be visible by the human eye).

Quote:
Is there one that will be better with ambient light during day or at night with a dim light or lights on in other part of basement like kids play area. I am able to completely black out the room, but not sure how often that will be...(probably not much with 2 little boys unless they are sleeping)
The darker gray a screen is the more ambient light it will absorb (the N8 will absorb more than the N9), but the screen will also absorb projector light as well so you need to have enough initial projected image brightness to compensate for that lose. You would be safe with a N9, but going with an N8 would be subjective - those that prefer a bright image over one with deeper colors and contrast might think a N8 screen is a little dim in your HT setting. I could live with it just fine. There is no right or wrong choice here, it's simply what different people like.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-04-12, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok thank you very much for the explaination. I will give the N9 a shot and see how it goes. My mount just arrived yesterday so I'm hoping to have it all set up this weekend. I appreciate your time. I'm glad I joined this forum because I may have made another silverfire mistake. I've researched alot on that forum and I can't believe how many of you tried it and came here to complain. I would go to the source and share your frustration with those members.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-04-12, 01:20 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Ok thank you very much for the explaination. I will give the N9 a shot and see how it goes. My mount just arrived yesterday so I'm hoping to have it all set up this weekend. I appreciate your time. I'm glad I joined this forum because I may have made another silverfire mistake. I've researched alot on that forum and I can't believe how many of you tried it and came here to complain. I would go to the source and share your frustration with those members.
I'm glad you found us and got a more complete picture of silver fire's screen attributes and didn't fall into the "trap" at it's home forum.