Research assistance - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 09-18-12, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Research assistance

I have decided to do a DIY screen - more than likely a grey screen - and I was hoping to get a little direction. You guys have provided more than enough direction on how to paint the screen and choose a color, so I plan to read through a bunch of those threads.

Where I am stuck and cannot seem to find anything is constructing the screen wall itself. I plan to do 2" behind the screen and will also have super chunk corners. What I am hoping for is a thread that describes how to frame out the screen wall to set it up for a DIY screen - I cannot seem to locate one when doing a search (although I may not be using correct terminology to get one).

Does anyone know a good reference?

Thanks!

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-18-12, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Research assistance

Where did you run your lights to backlight the screen?

post #3 of 6 Old 09-19-12, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Have you found or do you know of a supplier in our area for the 6mm Sintra substrate? I have looked at the Menards and Home Depot sites and cannot seem to find it on there.

And, I was wondering how you framed out your screen wall to hang the screen - I am assuming you did not do studs sixteen on center after the sheetrock was up.

post #4 of 6 Old 09-19-12, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
There's a sign company up by my mother's house. I could get it from them if I needed it. They have a branch in New Berlin as well - Midwest Sign. It would probably be better to call around locally and find someone who carries it. Google is your friend!
Thanks Mech - I googled for about an hour and was having a hard time finding something - Midwest is actually close enough for me to get to. Appreciate the link!

Is there a color substrate you suggest using or does it depend on which color I select for the screen?

Quote:
Oh! Are you talking about a frame for the screen itself? Something like this - look halfway down that post.
Thanks for the link - that is exactly what I was looking for!

post #5 of 6 Old 09-24-12, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
White would be fine. If you're painting it, it shouldn't matter.

Do you own a pocket hole jig? I'd suggest getting one as they are pretty indispensable when building just about anything. Menards carries them. And if you do the rope lighting, don't mount it like the picture. Put the rope lights closer to the outer edge of the frame.

I've been looking into the diy ambilight options lately. That would be extremely cool to do as well. I just need an extra 4 hours a day to even think about doing something like that though.
Somehow, I missed your post.....

Thanks - I am planning on painting it. I plan to take a day this week and read through the DIY forum to figure out what screen color I want to go with - since I have complete light control, it should not be too hard to figure out.

I don't actually - are you talking about a Kregs? I had looked at getting one, but just had not done so.

That looks really cool - I think I will go with rope lights for now though. Once the room is up and useable, then I can think about doing something different.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 09-24-12 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 6 Old 09-24-12, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

After reading through a bunch of stickies, I think I am leaning toward doing the C&S Ultra. I will be doing predominantly movies in that room and have complete light control.

Also, the ceiling is black, the walls will be black on the bottom and dark grey (most likely) above the chair rail - GOM covering the 703, and the carpeting is a dark grey with a black spot pattern.

I do prefer better black contrast, so I am thinking doing something a tad darker than plain ol' white will do the trick for me.