So I may have to redo this... - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 9 Old 09-24-12, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

So I may have to redo this...

...and I need some advice...

I painted my black widow this weekend and on my second coat I got a phone call right at the end and while on the phone I saw a spot on my beginning side and ran the roller over it...ugh stupid...

I have enough BW left to do probably a 2-4 ft section from top to bottom. Should I just paint over that when it dries, lightly sand it with like 220 then paint that area, or do I need to get another batch of BW and do a whole reprint?? Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-24-12, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I should also note that for some reason that pic is sideways...the stripe goes vertical
post #3 of 9 Old 09-25-12, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Yeah there is a roller sized stripe where it's just slightly textured. You can't see it from the front all that well but from an angle it becomes pretty obvious. It almost looks darker...

post #4 of 9 Old 09-25-12, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: So I may have to redo this...

I'm not sure if it matters but here is a 10 second video on youtube of my screen. It's shot from away and I walk around to the side where you can kind of see the texture(it's a dark spot)

I went down and felt it this morning and the whole screen is smooth and the textured path feels...gritty...I guess is the only way to put it...It also takes on a darker hue from certain angles. I clearly have some work to do on it. I guess here in a few days I'll try and gently sand it with 800 and see if I can feather the remaining BW on it, unless there are any other ideas. If not, I'll have to get a second round of BW and do a 3rd coat...and tell everyone to leave me alone/not answer the phone while I'm doing it too haha

youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2Jn-OseMg&feature=plcp
post #5 of 9 Old 09-25-12, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Check it out with the pj. If it doesn't affect anything, you may not want to do anything. Of course, now that you know it's there...
I need to fire up a movie with it, but I tossed on a blue screen, and the xbox home page and I don't know if could notice it or not....but yeah like you said...now that I know it's there...hahaha

I'm 99% I can't make such a nice screen and then have a chunk of funky texture in one spot. I'm too much of a perfectionist...even if you can't see it when the screens on, you can see it when it's off and that wouldn't be clean enough for me haha...
post #6 of 9 Old 09-25-12, 01:32 PM
Shackster

I have done lots of touch up painting over the years with paint and I have never been able to spot repair and area that isnt noticable to some extent. from my experience it seems to be that whatever you do to one section of the paint needs to be done to all sections for it not be noticable. and i wouldnt use different grade sand paper just the same grade even if you have to use it more in the spot that was blemished. maybe use the drywall screen tool that will do good in leveling off the paint. good luck bob
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-12, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

10-4...I thought about it yesterday and don't wanna try and make remaining paint work, because that rarely turns out very good. So I ordered some more AAA yesterday. Thanks for the help all!!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-27-12, 01:06 PM
Shackster

you may want to consider doing the sanding you need on the textured spot, and then if you sand through the paint, spot repair it with the old paint....and then lightly sand the entire screen so its uniform. some times when you sand you hit a high spot that you didnt know was there and then you can sand into the drywall paper before you know it, especially if theres a seam and the paper of the seam joint is sitting high.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-12, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
bobs77vet wrote: View Post
you may want to consider doing the sanding you need on the textured spot, and then if you sand through the paint, spot repair it with the old paint....and then lightly sand the entire screen so its uniform. some times when you sand you hit a high spot that you didnt know was there and then you can sand into the drywall paper before you know it, especially if theres a seam and the paper of the seam joint is sitting high.
I like that idea quite a bit. I figured I'd for-sure sand the textured spot and then maybe try and "blend" out the sanding by light sanding the whole thing. The difference here is that it's not on a wall, it's actually on stretched BOC, so I shouldn't have to worry about hitting a high seam or anything, but there's always a chance of sanding through something, or over sanding...especially on the textured spot that will need more sanding...