My first painted wall - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 8 Old 11-11-12, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System
My first painted wall

ok guys, I have an Epson 8350 right now and am using a 100 inch Do-able board screen. It was great as a "set it and forget it screen" when I first started but I'd like to go bigger. I figure I can do a good 120 inch screen with what wall space I have left and my viewing distance but most "board" screens only do 4x8 boards and that does limit me a tad.

I WAS going to go with the "liner paper" idea, but that seems it might not work due to the width of the paper. now my IDEA is to mask out my screen size and then float my wall with mudd (it's standard knockdown texture but it's old and has nicks and dings in it. would just floating the wall like that work??? then I'd just paint with some colors recommended on here. (I looked through the paint colors and mixes listed on here and wasn't sure which one to get for my situation. I have the walls and ceiling of my projector room painted in Behr's "Dark Cavern Grey" using Sherwin williams matte paint right now so I've got the reflectivity taken down in the room a bit from the old superwhite that it was before.)

I'm a little nervous about that one though since I have two THT sub woofers that have driven out over 700 nails in my house over the course of a year (had to replace all 700 of them with screws and patch before I repainted my house this year. I'd be worried that a few nails I didn't replace would just finally pop out right where my screen area would be and destroy the nice floated wall . One of the handyness of an actual SCREEN, it can cover those pops if it happened. are there any boards bigger than 4x8??? seems like if I had a 5x10 or 5x9 board it would be simple enough to paint that and have it hanging on the wall.

Last edited by Mike Edwards; 11-11-12 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-12, 09:13 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: My first painted wall

Mike,

When I called to get my 4x8 sheet of Sintra they also had bigger sizes. Mech found this place for me:

http://www.midwestsign.com/products/sign.asp

I double checked - they do make it bigger.

It does not look like you have one nearby, but if you have a vendor that carries Sintra, you should be able to get it in the bigger size.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-12, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

kewl, I'll see if I can find a place that stocks sintra. see what other materials out there for a good 120 inch screen. seems like it's EASY and CHEAP to make a 100 inch screen but go up a few more inches and your options start to dry up

post #4 of 8 Old 11-12-12, 08:15 AM
Shackster

Piedmont Plastics in Phoenix stocks Sintra in 4 x 8 & 5 x 10 sheets. They will cut it for you as well. Their info is:

Piedmont Plastics
5720 S. 40th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85040
602-437-1000
post #5 of 8 Old 11-27-12, 09:06 AM
Shackster

Quote:
Mike Edwards wrote: View Post
ok guys, I have an Epson 8350 right now and am using a 100 inch Do-able board screen. It was great as a "set it and forget it screen" when I first started but I'd like to go bigger. I figure I can do a good 120 inch screen with what wall space I have left and my viewing distance but most "board" screens only do 4x8 boards and that does limit me a tad.

I WAS going to go with the "liner paper" idea, but that seems it might not work due to the width of the paper. now my IDEA is to mask out my screen size and then float my wall with mudd (it's standard knockdown texture but it's old and has nicks and dings in it. would just floating the wall like that work??? then I'd just paint with some colors recommended on here. (I looked through the paint colors and mixes listed on here and wasn't sure which one to get for my situation. I have the walls and ceiling of my projector room painted in Behr's "Dark Cavern Grey" using Sherwin williams matte paint right now so I've got the reflectivity taken down in the room a bit from the old superwhite that it was before.)

I'm a little nervous about that one though since I have two THT sub woofers that have driven out over 700 nails in my house over the course of a year (had to replace all 700 of them with screws and patch before I repainted my house this year. I'd be worried that a few nails I didn't replace would just finally pop out right where my screen area would be and destroy the nice floated wall . One of the handyness of an actual SCREEN, it can cover those pops if it happened. are there any boards bigger than 4x8??? seems like if I had a 5x10 or 5x9 board it would be simple enough to paint that and have it hanging on the wall.
I ended up using SW soothing white (a neutral grey that reflects the whole spectrum evenly and a gain about 1) on a 48x112 screen in a light controlled room and I am very happy with it. I started with a 4x10 and cut down to 112 inches long to go with 2.35:1 aspect. I built the screen up about a foot off the wall to help keep the perimeter a deep black. If I'm watching 16x9 I just zoom the projector out and I have black curtains that I hang over the side to black out the unused portion of the screen.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-27-12, 01:44 PM
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

You can get Sintra as big as 6' x 10' x 1/8". Cut to 16:9 that gives you a 137.5" screen. You may have to call around to a bunch of places to find it though. Here in Portland there's only one shop that carries it.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-27-12, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

oooops, I kinda forgot about this thread..... I ALMOST got a cut of Sintra from a local sign place but lucked out and found a Draper cineperm 120 inch pro screen from a guy who didn't know what he had. sold it to me basically brand new for $150
post #8 of 8 Old 11-28-12, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
HTS Moderator
Reviewer

My System

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
Can't beat that price!
it gets better, my buddy and I went BACK to the neighborhood (it's one of those RIIIIIIIIICH neighborhoods where houses are in the 2-8 million range) for a garage sale and we found a MINT condition Bretford 124 inch motorized screen since he needed a new screen as well...(we both were using the D0-Able board 100 screens). the people had installed it in the house and used it once... then the house got foreclosed due to the economy. he picked it up for $175.... it was like the black friday for projector screens