DIY Screen for Epson 5020 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 11-14-12, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

john

My System
DIY Screen for Epson 5020

Right now I'm using BW in my family room. Wandering if the BW will work or look at something else. Here is a picture of my room.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Screen for Epson 5020-img_0100.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-12, 03:33 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: DIY Screen for Epson 5020

Quote:
robsong wrote: View Post
Right now I'm using BW in my family room. Wandering if the BW will work or look at something else. Here is a picture of my room.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If anything, you could go with a darker screen; but before you even think about doing that I would see what image you get with the 5020 on your current BW™ screen. Personally, I think that if the image is too bright and if I couldn't tame it using the PJ's settings I would buy a neutral density filter for the PJ - that way you can easily compensate as the lamp ages and the image gets dimmer.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-17-12, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Thanks Harpmaker. Will wait and see how it does with 3D tonight and go from there.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-18-12, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Well guys the PQ on Hugo was very good no one complained and what to see more 3D movies. Going to watch Avengers 3D next weekend.

Last edited by robsong; 11-18-12 at 01:21 AM.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-20-12, 01:52 AM
Shackster

Looks really nice setup you have robsong and i bet the 3D looks good, i might try 3D one day soon myself.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-20-12, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Thanks. It took awhile in getting the room the way I wanted it. Now it's time to enjoy it with family and friends.
post #7 of 12 Old 11-20-12, 02:12 AM
Shackster

You bet..nothing like having your own private theater room and enjoying it with family and friends..enjoy it to the fullest.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-25-12, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

john

My System

OK guy's after watching 3D movies the last two weeks the PQ is good. But the problem is the picture is not bright enough. I need something with more gain any ideas.
post #9 of 12 Old 11-25-12, 03:53 PM

Post Re: DIY Screen for Epson 5020

Nice screen! - looks like you made the wise choice of using an anamorphic aspect ratio for your screen. From what I have been reading, your best choice to increase brightness would be to add an anamorphic lens to your projector. Move the projector as close as you can to the screen with the widest possible zoom setting to produce the brightest possible image to fill a height to fill a 16x9 aspect image. Then, using a Blue Ray player (or receiver capable of the vertical stretch – to convert your anamorphic images into a 16x9 image (in 3d mode (I have found many receivers that will to the vertical stretch but have yet to find one that confirms 3d vertical stretch) -you'll have to do some searching for the correct device - if you choose the 3d - blue ray player with vertical stretch for about a thousand be aware that not all 3d blue ray disks can be stretched with that player. Be sure to read the owners manual on-line for stretching for anamorphic images). Then you must add an anamorphic lens to horizontally stretch the vertically stretched image to fill your Cinamascope screen. You can expect to increase brightness by just over 30 percent as the black bars above and below a 16x9 aspect ratio window will be lit. You can build an anamorphic lens for about a hundred dollars or spend thousands for a slightly better lens. Be aware that adding an anamorphic lens that is not made with excellent optical glass will usually produce rainbow effects on the edges. A white pixel on the extreme sides will separate into the colors of the rainbow. Overall, a vast improvement over not using the lens. - Also note, if your prisms used to build the lens are not coated, you can expect a light reflected band near the middle of your screen (lens flair). Focus on the outer edges can also be a slight factor – some have build a curved screen to accommodate this condition. I haven't played with anamorphic lenses (yet) Some use a curved screen. Many people add a sled to move the anamorphic lens back and forth so you can watch your 16x9 images nice and sharp without the lens. Good luck.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-26-12, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

john

My System

It does the same thing as yours.