Newb help. - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 29 Old 12-02-12, 06:39 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Newb help.

Sherwin-Williams 'Soothing White' is an N9 tint that is fairly neutral according to the manufacturer's specifications. It pushes a bit red-blue and is in fact listed as being in the violet family of tints by SW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 Old 12-03-12, 06:42 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
nickm wrote: View Post
I actually got the SW soothing white from one of your post.
With the above choise (thanks Don!!), i calculate that you 'll have 18-19 FL of light in 110'' which is quite good!!

(projector calibrated intended of course....)
post #23 of 29 Old 12-04-12, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Send a message via Yahoo to nickm

How bad of a decision will it be if I painted my walls with a satin/ eggshell finnish? Reason im asking is I bought the paint awhile back and now that I have the projector I shouldve bought the matte finnish. Im thinking I should just go buy some more paint that is a matte finnish? What about the ceiling, its vaulted and I know that my wife will not go for a dark ceiling. So i will be painting it white, My question is should I paint just the flat spot white and paint the vaulted part of the ceiling the same color as the walls? Next if I do go white on the ceiling will the satin/ eggshell finnish be very reflective? The screen is still going to be the floated wall with the SW 6539 soothing white. Sorry for all the quetions and thanks for the responses so far.

post #24 of 29 Old 12-04-12, 06:25 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
How bad of a decision will it be if I painted my walls with a satin/ eggshell finnish? Reason im asking is I bought the paint awhile back and now that I have the projector I shouldve bought the matte finnish. Im thinking I should just go buy some more paint that is a matte finnish? What about the ceiling, its vaulted and I know that my wife will not go for a dark ceiling. So i will be painting it white, My question is should I paint just the flat spot white and paint the vaulted part of the ceiling the same color as the walls? Next if I do go white on the ceiling will the satin/ eggshell finnish be very reflective? The screen is still going to be the floated wall with the SW 6539 soothing white. Sorry for all the quetions and thanks for the responses so far.
No problem, glad to be of help when we can.

The problem with any sheen/gloss over flat or matte is that there is no standard for them in the paint industry so unless you can find a TDS or other spec sheet that gives a literal gloss reading you can't tell how much gloss the paint really has. As a general rule eggshell has less gloss than satin within a given brand of paint, but one brand of eggshell may have more gloss than another brand of satin; and then some brands have their own names for various glosses like "low lustre" or "pearl" (which has no relation to mica-based paints that go by the same name).

As to the matter if a wall paint in a higher gloss than flat or matte will work is determined by the layout of the home theater in which it is used. If the seats are positioned so that light reflected from the screen and bounced off the walls does not hit the viewers eyes a higher gloss wall paint could actually be a good thing, but keep in mind the reverse is also true and that the walls shouldn't reflect any ambient light onto the screen. As you can see it's all a matter of the angles that light is reflected at in the theater. This is the reason that most of the time we use a flat/matte finish - the reflectance angles don't matter much.

Since you have the higher gloss paint (and I assume it can't be returned or used elsewhere) all you will lose from trying it is your labor since you can always paint over it if needed. If you are in a position where your labor is worth more than the paint I would suggest getting a flat/matte finish paint just to be on the safe side.

As far as the ceiling goes, your guess is as good as mine, better actually since you can guesstimate the angles involved in relationship to the viewers and the screen. A flat surface will reflect the light in all directions (meaning 180) no matter what angle the light hits it. The glossier the surface the more the light rays will reflect like a billiard ball striking a cushion on a pool table.
post #25 of 29 Old 12-04-12, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Well I guess I'll be buying two new colors in matte Finnish. Lucky for me I can use the paint somewhere else.
post #26 of 29 Old 12-05-12, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

This is going to be the color for my walls. I'll just buy some more in matte finnish.

post #27 of 29 Old 12-05-12, 09:23 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
This is going to be the color for my walls. I'll just buy some more in matte finnish.
Looks good. BTW, the LRV value for SW paints is the percentage of light reflected from the paint in a totally flat finish.
post #28 of 29 Old 12-05-12, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

What is a good lev? Lower than 17 in matte is what I would want? Or is that fine?
post #29 of 29 Old 12-05-12, 12:43 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
What is a good lev? Lower than 17 in matte is what I would want? Or is that fine?
That LRV value would work well for a general use HT.

LRV stands for Light Reflectance Value. The lower the LRV of a color the darker that color will be since it absorbs more light than a color with a higher LRV. As for what LRV you should use, well, that's up to personal preference.

We are constantly talking about N values here; these values are taken from the CIELAB Color Space (specifically that systems L* or Lightness value). CIELAB is also called the L*a*b* color space. In the CIELAB system the Lightness of a color runs from a value of 100 for pure white down to 0 for pure black and represents the same value as the SW LRV values. When we say a paint is N8 we mean that it's Brightness/Lightness value would be 80 in the CIELAB color system (CIELAB L* value divided by 10 = N value).

Probably the best way to understand SW's LRV numbers is to look at various colors on their website and compare the LRV's of similar colors where one is simply lighter or darker than another.

For a home theater the darker the room surfaces the better since this helps to absorb any ambient light or light reflected from the screen, but unless one is building a dedicated HT such dark colors (LRV's below 10 and preferably below 5), especially for ceilings, simply aren't practical.