Newb help. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 29 Old 11-18-12, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Send a message via Yahoo to nickm
Newb help.

I need help decideing what type and material I need. I want a screen that I can hear my speakers through. I have inwall speakers that i'm using for my 55" wall mounted LCD. The room size is 18'6"X 18'. The 18'6" is the side the Tv is mounted on the wall, and where the new screen will be at, I have a couch directly across from it. Above the couch on the wall is where I want to mount the projector. The room has about a 3' arched door opening that has minimal light coming through in the day time, also have three windows that have the black-out style curtains. Also I have not decided what projector to get. I would like to get the Epson powerlite Home Cinema 3020e projector. I hope this is enough information. Ive read in the projector forums that you shouldhave the screen first then the projector so if I need to get a different projector I am open to suggestions. Oh yeah one last thing I will be using this for gaming on my PS3, watching blurays, watching tv, and an occasional surfing the net.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 11-19-12, 08:24 AM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System
Re: Newb help.

SMX CineWeave is one of, if not, the best. It is also more expensive. You will have to call them about material.
http://www.smxscreen.com.

Elite AcousticPro-4K
http://elitescreens.com/index.php?op...mid=23&lang=en

and you have already been told about SeymourAV Center Stage XD

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #3 of 29 Old 11-19-12, 09:34 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

I personally would find the projector I wanted first then look for a Screen. This way you can calculate the amount of gain you need in order to get the right amount of brightness. This is even more critical if you want to do 3D since the glasses can bring down the brightness. Since you know the distance from the screen the projector will be and the size your looking for you can use the calculator at projectorcentral to help you narrow down what you are looking for

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...ulator-pro.htm

I like the Panny because of its ability to power zoon to a Cinemascope sized image.

post #4 of 29 Old 11-19-12, 08:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
I personally would find the projector I wanted first then look for a Screen. This way you can calculate the amount of gain you need in order to get the right amount of brightness.
Actually no, one should not NEED a screen with a gain over 1.0 if they have the correct projector for their desired screen size and room conditions. ALL screens with gains over 1.0 (or even some gray screens with gains less than that) are special purpose screens for fixing problems that come from not having enough lumens hitting the screen in the first place. High gain screens introduce their own viewing problems while curing others.
post #5 of 29 Old 11-20-12, 09:04 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

The "if" is the key there, hence the reason for finding the projector you want first imho. IF the you buy the screen and the projector you Want can't project the size of image you Want and the lumens you Need. You either have to rethink your projector or your screen or settle on the what you can attain
post #6 of 29 Old 11-20-12, 06:44 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Andre wrote: View Post
The "if" is the key there, hence the reason for finding the projector you want first imho. IF the you buy the screen and the projector you Want can't project the size of image you Want and the lumens you Need. You either have to rethink your projector or your screen or settle on the what you can attain
Somehow I think I managed to misunderstand what you said in your first post Andre. Sorry about that. I agree that the PJ should be picked first and to make sure it has enough lumens so the desired screen size won't require a high gain screen.
post #7 of 29 Old 11-25-12, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

The pj I will get is the Epson powerlite home cinema 3020e. So the screen material I will buy is the smx cine-weave diy material. The screen size will be 120" diagnolly and I will be sitting about 17' away. This is the best picture I could get with my phone. Usually they are really good, guess the lighting sucks for the Iphone 4. That will be the lighting I will be using while the projector is on. Maybe the tv gave off to much light.

Last edited by nickm; 11-25-12 at 07:09 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-25-12, 11:16 PM
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Nothing wrong with an acoustically transparent (AT) screen, But if you ind the cost and effort a little high, consider that it really wouldn't be all that hard to move those speakers. Drywall seems intimidating, but it's really not all that hard to plug the current holes and make new ones. Check out instructional videos on YouTube. If it were me, that's the way I'd go. But nothing wrong the other way either, I'm just saying consider all of your options. Also, I've heard that people have had good luck with certain kinds of spandex for doing an AT screen? They think highly of it on the "Other" forum, but I've not seen it reviewed here.

The Epson 3020e is a light cannon, shouldn't have any problem lighting up a 120" screen.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-26-12, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

The drywall isn't hard to plug, painting and drywall was family business. I might just do that as I still have the plugs from when I installed the speakers. What other screen material would be good if I didn't use the AT material.
post #10 of 29 Old 11-26-12, 09:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Andre

My System

Looks like you will get 15 FL from that projector in enconomy mode (save your lamp) on a 1 gain screen @ 120 inch, 17 feet 2 inches, zoom set at 1.1