Another NEWB Requesting recommendation - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 7 Old 11-19-12, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Another NEWB Requesting recommendation

Hey Guys. I just purchased an optoma hd20 and I am looking into painting a screen and I am looking for some recommendations. Another forum suggested that I use silverfire 2.5 3.0. It seems like there may be some better suggestions here. The projector will be ceiling mounted no more than 11 feet away. I am limited on size due to my wall, I am looking at around 94 inches. The room color is green, I am not sure how to describe it but I would say that it is neutral. I also have a white drop ceiling. From what I have heard, the hd20 lacks blacks so I may need a gray screen. I will be viewing mostly HD content from directtv and occasionally blu rays. While I can control the light to some extent I will mostly viewing with a fair amount of ambient light. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-19-12, 09:12 AM
Elite Shackster

Silly Girl!

Re: Another NEWB Requesting recommendation

Hi, nineshot. I cannot help on the DIY screen, but wanted to welcome you to Home Theater Shack. I am sure someone will chime in with just the right suggestion for you.

Hug your pet today!
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-12, 09:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
nineshot wrote: View Post
Hey Guys. I just purchased an optoma hd20 and I am looking into painting a screen and I am looking for some recommendations. Another forum suggested that I use silverfire 2.5 3.0. It seems like there may be some better suggestions here. The projector will be ceiling mounted no more than 11 feet away. I am limited on size due to my wall, I am looking at around 94 inches. The room color is green, I am not sure how to describe it but I would say that it is neutral. I also have a white drop ceiling. From what I have heard, the hd20 lacks blacks so I may need a gray screen. I will be viewing mostly HD content from directtv and occasionally blu rays. While I can control the light to some extent I will mostly viewing with a fair amount of ambient light. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, you guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to HTS!

Yes, we have some better suggestions for you than Silver Fire (we have several threads on SF mixes here if you want to know how they really perform; they do need updating though). Another point is that the SF mixes are needlessly difficult to make, there is no reason to use their "color component" to color the mix. They have their own reasons for doing so, but neither color science nor reflective physics supports their claims.

Are you going to paint an existing wall or use some form of substrate as a screen (MDF, Sintra etc.) and paint that?

The real key to getting a good projected image is controlling ambient light, the less ambient light that reaches the screen the better. That said, I think I would recommend a paint from Lowe's to you that unfortunately has changed names several times this year. First it was Valspar Ultra Premium interior Flat Enamel Finish, then it was changed to Valspar Ultra Premium interior Super Flat Finish, and then finally Valspar Ultra Paint + Primer super flat interior. As far as I can tell it is still all the same paint. The point is that ANY of the paints (really just paint names) can be used in place of each of the others. What paint you find will depend on your own Lowe's store and what they have in stock. Tell them you want the paint tinted to match Glidden 'Veil'. That color will be in their database under "Glidden Master Palette". If they tell you they don't see it ask for someone else to look or ask for the store manager. This color will absorb a lot of ambient light, but you have the projected lumens to counteract that absorption.

post #4 of 7 Old 11-19-12, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome and the reply. I googled the paint color and pulled up a screen from someone on this site. It looked awesome! I will be painting the screen on my basement wall. It's kind of a half basement, I'm in a tri level house. I installed can lights about six months ago so there's plenty of light down there but i do have a dimmer switch. And I can always unscrew the lights closet to the Wall. Thanks for the suggestion, I will probably go with that paint. It seems so much easier than the sf.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-28-12, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Do I need to use primer also?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-28-12, 03:42 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
nineshot wrote: View Post
Do I need to use primer also?
It's always safest to prime before painting a screen, but if your wall is not a strong color and is a flat finish paint you may not have to. If your current paint has more gloss than a flat paint then I would recommend priming, also prime if you have a any color stronger than a pastel on the existing wall.

Primers are not finish paints and finish paints are not primers - don't believe the "paint+primer in one" mumbo jumbo that is so popular right now, it is literally a lie designed to get you to use more of the expensive finish paint rather than if you used a primer that costs less than the finish paint for it's intended purpose.

A primers job is to be very opaque and hide the color of the paint it is applied over with one or two coats (the stronger the wall color the more primer will be needed to hide it). It should also hide any stains that might be on the wall. It's next job is to dry to a very slightly tacky finish, this gives the finish paint (regular latex house paint) something to stick to so it will better resist peeling or flaking if something hits the wall.

If you choose not to use a primer I would recommend giving the wall area to be painted a light sanding just to scuff up the surface and give the new paint something to grab on to.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-30-12, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I still havent found the time to get it done yet. But I am looking forward to it