My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen - Page 10 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #91 of 108 Old 01-22-13, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen

I use HCFR, Calman 5, and Babel Color. Unless I'm totally out to lunch, I believe the only time you use the diffuser is when you are taking readings directly off the PJ. I've never used the diffuser to take readings off the screen or off any material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 01-22-13, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

OK, I took some measurements again. I used Calman 5, an i1 Pro and a windowed 50% white/gray pattern.

Diamond 450 Sprayed: 4.07 fL, Rolled: 4.27 fL (Please remember I sprayed an intentionally "sandpaper" kind of finish. Stupid and unnecessary. But hey, I love it anyway!

Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Satin: 3.7 fL

Carada Brilliant White screen material: 4.28 fL

I put up a panel of the rolled 450 and panels of the other two materials against my sprayed 450 screen, and put up a 100 IRE field. I even took pictures if anyone is interested. The SW paint was very noticeably dimmer than all the other materials. The Carada definitely had a hot spot compared to the Glidden. If you moved so the Carada was right in it's hotspot, it was equal in brightness to the 450. As soon as you move about a foot, it starts appearing dimmer than the 450. If you looked very closely, you could just notice that the rolled 450 was just slightly brighter than the sprayed. Measurements showed it to be 5% brighter, on axis.

Mech, is that 5% in your error tolerance? If they average 1.0 gain, the sprayed sample could be .975 gain and the rolled 1.025 gain?

I don't remember the Carada hot spotting as bad in my last test, but there is no doubt that was happening today. But that was with a 100 IRE pattern and about double the lumens as my last test.

Conclusions:
For a white paint, the Glidden 450 blows the SW away.
The Glidden is superior to the Carada.
The Carada 1.4 gain material must have a on-axis gain of 1.0, as that is what Mech measured the Glidden at. However, it's got a good dropoff off-axis. (Good as in lots of drop-off so really it's bad.)

Is my reasoning good? Or am I missing something?

Last edited by Nak; 01-23-13 at 11:56 AM.
post #93 of 108 Old 01-22-13, 11:52 PM
Shackster

Now you need to throw up some of that super cheap Glidden GL9000 from HomeDepot and see how it compares

post #94 of 108 Old 01-23-13, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

That's on the to do list.
post #95 of 108 Old 01-23-13, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

I think it was two rolled coats on the one, and 9 VERY fine sprayed coats on the other. Your experience matches up with mine. I can barely see the 5% difference, I have to look really carefully. just for fun, I might make a negative out of the pics I took, just to see what that shows.

What I'm still having a hard time with is the comparison to the Carada Brilliant White. I looked at your screen gain page, and you've tested the Carada at 1.26 on axis gain. I have a sample that must be about 10" x 12" of that stuff, and there is no way my sample is that much higher gain than the 450. Both by eye and measuring light of off it it is very close to the Glidden if you line your eyes right up on axis. Move a foot and the 450 is visibly brighter. Move another foot and the 450 is much brighter than the Carada. I'm talking about viewing from 8 - 10 feet back, so we aren't talking many degrees. Maybe 10 or 12 degrees at the most. The further off axis you go, the dimmer the Carada gets in comparison to the 450. By 70 degrees, the Carada is no brighter than the Sherwin Williams.

What sample of the Carada BW did you measure? Would you mind checking mine if I sent it to you?

Thanks Mech!

BTW, I'll go ahead and post the pics I took later today or tomorrow.
post #96 of 108 Old 01-24-13, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Possibly? The sample came from Carada and is marked as Brilliant White, 1.4 Gain. Maybe somebody at Carada screwed up?
post #97 of 108 Old 04-01-13, 09:08 AM

Hi Nak (and others). First post, so yay me! Finishing a basement from bare poured concrete and wouldn't you know, the first room to be worked on is the new HT.
I just picked up a gallon of the diamond 450 in velvet matte. The guy at the store wanted to "tint" it white. I mean he really, really wanted to tint it. He said he didn't have any standard white but he could add a little white pigment in to it. I told him what I was doing and just wanted the straight base, no tint. He said ok, but the coverage would probably not be very good and would actually be a little opaque, letting the base color show through. He suggested several times that I let him add some pigment to it to get to his standard white. I said the term "titanium white" was used here a few times, but he did not have a shade that matched that. It sounded like he was just going to wing it with the tint. Are you sure that what you painted was just the straight base with no tint?
Thanks

Last edited by k-dub; 04-01-13 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Wrong wording
post #98 of 108 Old 04-01-13, 09:42 AM
Senior Shackster

The base is titanium white, its not labelled as such.
All you should need is diamond velvet matte white.(PN posted somewhere around here)
post #99 of 108 Old 04-01-13, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Hey K-dub, and welcome!

Cali is right, just the base with no tint added. Used on Sintra or over a white primer you won't have any problems at all. You can spray or roll. To be honest, if you can roll well at all, this stuff really self levels in a most excellent fashion!
post #100 of 108 Old 04-01-13, 04:23 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

The reason the paint person wanted to add tint to the base was to make it more opaque and cover better. You made the correct decision to NOT have any white tint added as that would have made the final paint less color-neutral.