My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #21 of 108 Old 11-26-12, 07:15 AM
Shackster

Re: Silver Fire

Quote:
Nak wrote: View Post
Interesting... I wonder if it's the Kilz Premium that just goes on rough, or if I'm just that bad with a roller?
I was using a 3/16" Wooster. How about you?
I was also using a 3/16", but I can't remember the brand - I think it was a microfiber material if I remember right. So it still looks pretty rough even after it's had time to dry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 108 Old 11-26-12, 09:58 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Hey there! Carp, what primer did you use? I'm painting my SF screen right now. I sanded the stuffing out of it, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and let it dry for a couple of hours. Then I rolled on the first coat of Kilz Premium. Wow, it doesn't look so good. I'm thinking one more coat, then wet sanding it. Trust me, it's going to need sanding. I'm hoping it's going to work at all. It's almost fish eyeing, but not quite. I'm almost thinking just sand this coat then switch primers...
I hope that rubbing alcohol wasn't the type that is tinted green and has wintergreen fragrance added. Also some "rubbing" alcohol has oil in it to lubricate the skin while rubbing. I suspect all three of these added ingredients can mess with a painted finish if left on the wall/substrate before priming. I suspect it may be the cause of your fish-eye type problems.

To be safe, I never recommend cleaning anything with rubbing alcohol. Some types are simply isopropyl alcohol diluted with 30% water, but others have those added ingredients. If you feel you must use alcohol to clean a surface before priming or painting I would use 91% isopropyl alcohol, but really if all you want to do is remove sanding residue I would just use a clean cloth dampened with distilled water.
post #23 of 108 Old 11-26-12, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Just a little bit of winter green... LOL No, it was 91% Isopropyl with no additives. Maybe it wasn't quite dry even though I gave it a couple of hours? Yeah, I probably should have used water in retrospect. The websites I found that talked about painting Poly all suggested some kind of cleaner/solvent... To do over I'd use damp rags to clean all the sanding dust off. I've got good coverage after two coats, but still rough even after a night's drying time. I'll be sanding for a few hours this morning!

post #24 of 108 Old 11-26-12, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

OK, that was a LOT of work. Wet sanding a 138" screen after a night of curing is not fun. Should have wet sanded yesterday. All the ridges are gone though. Tiny pits remain, so I'll be priming again. I'm trying to decide between spraying and rolling. I'm not 100% sure spraying will fill the pits, but my rolling skills apparently suck!
post #25 of 108 Old 11-26-12, 04:05 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Let the roller do the work don't put pressure when rolling.
post #26 of 108 Old 11-27-12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Well, you live and you learn. I tried rolling some test panels. Should have done that first. Now matter what I did, I couldn't get the Kilz premium to roll on reasonably flat. With Kilz 2, I could. I tried several different types of premium roller covers too. The best I found was the Sherwin Williams 9/16 Microfiber. Still, no love with the Kilz Premium. Spraying was a different story of course. I'm not saying the premium can't be rolled smooth, I'm just saying I can't roll it smooth. Biggest thing I learned? If you're good at spraying, and are iffy at rolling, spray. I thought I'd save time by getting two quick rolled on coats of primer, instead I cost myself several days of work.

I went ahead and skimmed the screen this morning, it was the only way to proceed. This evening I'll lightly sand and I should be good to go. I'll spray primer and top coat tomorrow.

Of course, now I'm debating my paint choice--here's why: I managed to pick up an Epson Light Power Edition filter for the 5010/5020. I've been looking for one for a year. They're only available in a couple of European countries, and even there they are difficult to find separate from a new PJ. But I have one now! Woo Hoo! Plus, Visual Apex had a Cyber Monday deal on the 5010, $1999. Couldn't pass that up since I had the LPE filter!

What is the LPE filter? It's a filter 12 cm in diameter that mounts on the 5010/5020. It corrects the native light output of the bulb in the same fashion as the internal filter, except that it is more efficient due to it's size. You run the PJ in Dynamic with a few adjustments listed in the instructions. Supposedly, you get over 1200 color correct lumens--in ECO lamp mode. Over 1600 in Normal lamp. PLUS, you get a healthy bump in native contrast! (Up to 5000 from about 4300.) I'll calibrate it and measure lumen output to see how it lives up to the claims. Here's the link. It's in German, so you'll have to use Google Translate. http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...W9000_Test.htm Why is this only available in a couple of European countries? I have no idea.

Anyways, with 1200 lumens on tap, now I'm thinking a neutral gray paint. On the other hand, 3D might benefit from white with my 138" screen...

If I paint the Glidden white now, will I be able to easily paint over it in a couple of weeks? I'm thinking since it's latex just prime and paint?
post #27 of 108 Old 11-27-12, 02:53 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Nak,
Where did you get the filter from. I've been reading about this filter for the pass 3 months.
post #28 of 108 Old 11-27-12, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Austria, but the place I got it won't or can't sell any more. They are VERY tough to get hold of unless you're in Germany or Austria. Even then, they aren't common...
post #29 of 108 Old 11-27-12, 07:15 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Well, you live and you learn. I tried rolling some test panels. Should have done that first. Now matter what I did, I couldn't get the Kilz premium to roll on reasonably flat. With Kilz 2, I could. I tried several different types of premium roller covers too. The best I found was the Sherwin Williams 9/16 Microfiber. Still, no love with the Kilz Premium. Spraying was a different story of course. I'm not saying the premium can't be rolled smooth, I'm just saying I can't roll it smooth. Biggest thing I learned? If you're good at spraying, and are iffy at rolling, spray. I thought I'd save time by getting two quick rolled on coats of primer, instead I cost myself several days of work.
Wow, I never heard of any problems rolling Kilz Premium so it's good to know about that issue. As for me personally, there is a reason my avatar is a spray gun.

Quote:
If I paint the Glidden white now, will I be able to easily paint over it in a couple of weeks? I'm thinking since it's latex just prime and paint?
There should be no problem at all, in fact you probably wouldn't have to prime and be able to simply apply the new paint over the Glidden.
post #30 of 108 Old 11-28-12, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Wow, but I love spray guns! The primer is done--Kilz2--and talk about perfect texture. Dead flat with a surface like 1600 grit sandpaper. I'm going to let it dry for an hour or two then hit it with the Glidden.