My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen - Page 4 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #31 of 108 Old 11-28-12, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Silver Fire

And DONE! Woo Hoo! Why didn't I start a separate thread for this????? Anyways, I will start a seperate thread for how the white screen performs. I'll be sending a sample--sprayed at the same time as my screen-- to Mech for gain testing. I'm really curious how it measures out... It measures a teensy bit brighter than my sample of Carada Brilliant white, which is supposed to have a gain of 1.2. (Advertised as 1.4 gain.) Doesn't that mean it should have similar gain? I guess we'll find out! If it doesn't, my sample of Carada BW will also be on the way to Mech for gain testing!

By the way, the screen came out as close to perfect as I can imagine. My best effort yet. I do love spray guns. I used the Graco 2900 with a 1.0 mm tip. Kilz2 diluted at 3.5:1. The Glidden was diluted at 4:1.

And of course, I will be calibrating the PJ with it to Rec 709...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 108 Old 11-29-12, 11:54 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Nak wrote: View Post
And DONE! Woo Hoo! Why didn't I start a separate thread for this????? Anyways, I will start a seperate thread for how the white screen performs.
I was kind of wondering about that too. It looks like all the posts from #94 on could be put into their own thread. I would be glad to do that for you if you would like, just start a thread and I'll drop those posts underneath your intro post.
post #33 of 108 Old 11-30-12, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Cool! I'll start it now...

Thanks!

Note: All messages below this are original to this thead and not copied from another thread.

Last edited by Harpmaker; 11-30-12 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Addendum added

post #34 of 108 Old 11-30-12, 02:46 PM
Senior Shackster

Re: My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen

Nice ! Finally. I'm gonna guess 1.0 gain. Let's see what mech finds.

My snowfield is still doing the job. Perfect as the day I finished it. No problems.
post #35 of 108 Old 11-30-12, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Quote:
Cali wrote: View Post
Nice ! Finally. I'm gonna guess 1.0 gain. Let's see what mech finds.

My snowfield is still doing the job. Perfect as the day I finished it. No problems.
1.0 makes sense, as yours measured out at .9 I believe? What has me scratching my head is that the Glidden measured just a bit brighter than my sample of Carada Brilliant White, which I believe has been measured at 1.2 gain... I'm really looking forward to Mech's analysis. Anyways, it is what it is and I love it!

Something interesting happened when I was watching my 8700 on this screen. The haze I saw before was lifted, and the shimmering is gone. But I noticed an odd kind of grain on the screen. It's different than before, very uniform. I got up and got closer, and realized I was seeing screen door effect! I'd never noticed it before, I think the poly in the mix fuzzed the image up just enough to hide the SDE at my viewing distance. Either that or the grain was hiding it. Before, I'd see SDE at about 8 feet. After painting, I could start seeing it at 12 feet, my normal viewing distance. The screen is tack sharp obviously. What I did is de-focus just a tiny bit. Just enough to blend each pixel just a bit into the empty space around it. Success! The SDE disappeared. As an added bonus, the "soap opera" effect when using FI is reduced!

I marked the focus ring at perfect focus. Then, I brought a few people in and had them watch. I just asked everyone to tell me which was sharper, but I did not tell them what I was changing. I went back and forth and had everyone keep track of what they thought was sharper. The vote was unanimous. Everyone thinks the picture is sharper when I de-focus just a little bit. The picture looks beautifully sharp, the grain (SDE) disappears, and everything is great! It's like looking through a hole in the wall. Anyone suffering from SDE or Soap Opera might want to give this a try. BTW, I don't have to de-focus the 5020...

After getting a 5020, I was thinking I would paint the screen gray because I'm getting 1100 lumens in ECO mode, but I'm absolutely stunned by the picture. Over 20 ftl... Brilliant whites and gorgeous deep blacks. Best picture I've seen yet on a screen. I think I'll be leaving it white!
post #36 of 108 Old 12-01-12, 12:14 PM
Senior Shackster

I'll revise to 1.1 then :-). I forgot mine was .89...so .9 rounded up.

Interesting about the SDE. On my 8700 i have a good amount of hours now and I dont see it in the front row. When the PJ was newer, I could see them, in addition to having to change focus every couple hours. Now things are very stable and I only use living room eco mode, with light calibration.
post #37 of 108 Old 12-01-12, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

I watched Avatar again last night with my new "Light Power Edition" 5020 and this screen. Wow, wow, wow. Not a hint of grain, shimmer, or hotspotting. Just a crystal clear image. My wife--who is not sensitive to such things and swore she'd never notice a difference--was stunned by the picture. She absolutely raved about it. Of course, she was seeing the combined effect of the new PJ and the new screen. The overall improvement--considering both the upgraded PJ and screen-- feels like as much as when we went from SD to HD. Seriously, it's that good. I won't be painting the screen gray, as we are thrilled beyond words with the white.

on a side note, I think something is wonky with either my i1 Pro or my installation of Calman 5. I was getting some readings that made no sense last night. I'll be sending the i1 into Spectracal for a certification on Monday...

Last edited by Nak; 12-01-12 at 02:25 PM.
post #38 of 108 Old 12-01-12, 12:55 PM
Shackster

Send a message via Yahoo to nickm

Quote:
Nak wrote: View Post
Hey there! Carp, what primer did you use? I'm painting my SF screen right now. I sanded the stuffing out of it, cleaned it with rubbing alcohol, and let it dry for a couple of hours. Then I rolled on the first coat of Kilz Premium. Wow, it doesn't look so good. I'm thinking one more coat, then wet sanding it. Trust me, it's going to need sanding. I'm hoping it's going to work at all. It's almost fish eyeing, but not quite. I'm almost thinking just sand this coat then switch primers...

I really don't want to hang a new sheet of Sintra. It's a pain to get home, and I have styrofoam insulation bonded to the back. It looks like I may have too though.

Is the insulation board required for he sintra board to be installed as a screen?
post #39 of 108 Old 12-01-12, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

No, not at all. I have some funky sound in my theater room, so I'm installing bass traps. The insulation glued to the Sintra is an attempt to reduce how much sound it reflects. The effort was somewhat successful...
post #40 of 108 Old 12-01-12, 01:38 PM
Shackster

Send a message via Yahoo to nickm

Good to know, thanks.