My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen - Page 6 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #51 of 108 Old 12-09-12, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen

Here's a couple of shots of the screen. The straight on shot was taken with a flash; notice the complete lack of a hotspot even with a flash. The weird reflections on the right side are the reflections of the audio gear from the flash. This equipment will be covered by a small black velvet curtain. The angled shot was taken with natural light, and it clearly shows the limitation of a white screen. Look at the lower right section of the screen; what you see there is the reflection off of the light colored carpet. My room will be completely light treated at the end of the remodel, until then I'll throw something cheap and dark down. I had some cheap dark carpet down that got given away while I was gone--since we were remodeling anyway. I might have waited on that if I was around for the decision... Re-carpeting will be the second to the last stage of the re-model and won't happen for 3 or 4 months.
Attached Thumbnails
My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen-p1010752-custom-.jpg  

My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen-p1010753-custom-.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 108 Old 12-09-12, 08:23 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

What speakers are those?.
post #53 of 108 Old 12-09-12, 09:05 PM
Shackster

Send a message via Yahoo to nickm

Is the brown above the screen a vaulted ceiling or is it just painted brown to keep the glare down? Also what color is your ceiling? Very nice setup, I'm getting alot of ideas just from these couple of pics for my room.

post #54 of 108 Old 12-10-12, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

@ Robsong: Infinity Cascades. I got them when Infinity was closing them out a while back. I love them, but you need a ton of power to drive them. Fortunately, the Yamaha Z-11 has plenty of juice! The subwoofers are DIY Infinity Baffle subs with 18" drivers. I REALLY love those! Those will get a heavy veneer and black speaker cloth in front. The Cascades have black speaker cloth grills which will get installed, although the speakers look better without them.

@Nickm: Standard 8 foot ceiling. It's dark charcoal black for the first 6 feet from the screen. I had material on the rest before. Tacky. I'll be painting the rest of the ceiling Charcoal Black as well. The color of the screen wall will be the color of all the walls. But they'll be covered by black velvet curtains, so it will really look just like a trim color where it peaks out from behind the curtains. The left side of the theater will be separated from the rest of the entertainment room by heavy black velvet curtains which will be pulled back for all but movie watching. The carpet will be a very dark gray and the furniture is black. The glass coffee table will go away.
post #55 of 108 Old 12-10-12, 06:47 AM
Shackster

Send a message via Yahoo to nickm

Thats a good idea. I think I can get away with painting the vaulted part just above the screen a dark color, and go with something that has some tint to it for the ceiling. Where do you get the black velvet curtains from? I have a 4' arched doorway open to the balcony/ upstairs foyer that I would like to isolate from when I watch movies, and leave open during regular viewing hours.
post #56 of 108 Old 12-10-12, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

This is where I'll be getting them from: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Velvet-Bla...el-Red/5555770
post #57 of 108 Old 12-10-12, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

I made an interesting discovery--that should have been obvious--yesterday while doing some analysis on my screen. When testing I found that it did not reflect projected light as brightly as my original test sample. In fact, it measured almost 10% dimmer. So, I got a brush out and quickly painted a new sample. Sure enough, after drying it was almost as bright as the original sample.

Why the difference? I'm sure guys like harp and Mech already know the answer: I sprayed very fine coats, so fine that they dried to a texture like very fine sandpaper. With some other paints--lets not throw stones--you need that to limit the hotspotting. What I did was artificially create a Very, very flat texture, as opposed to the paint's Velvet Matte sheen. The result? Less gain and less hotspotting as the light is dispersed more evenly in all directions. The thing is, this paint doesn't hotspot anyway, so I just reduced the gain. Samples will go to Mech to confirm this as soon as the new sample cures a bit. (To prevent damage during shipping.)

Why the difference between the original sample and the new sample? The original sample was rolled and dried to a very smooth finish. My new sample was a quickie job and brushed on, resulting in some texture.

So, will I be re-painting? If I was still lumen challenged, yes. But I'm getting 21 fL anyways--in ECO. In fact, it might just have been a little too bright if it was smooth. Plus, I absolutely love the picture. it is so sharp and vivid and completely grain/artifact free. I'm wondering if that slight sandpapery texture helps this out? I checked out the screen at Cinetopia--a VERY high quality theater--and it had a sandpapery texture as well... Regardless, I'm so thrilled with the PQ that I wouldn't dare change a thing right now. But it would be good to know for future DIY guys...
post #58 of 108 Old 12-12-12, 07:20 PM
Senior Shackster

How many coats did you do? I only noticed the sand papery finish in the earlier coats.
post #59 of 108 Old 12-12-12, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

I actually did the sandpapery finish on purpose. Kind of a thought process left over from an earlier life. Gain is down, but other than that the screen is most excellent. Zero grain, zero shimmer, very very sharp picture. If I was still lumen challenged I'd re-paint, but I'm hitting the screen with 1200 lumens in ECO, so I'm happy just the way it is. I'm just wondering if the Sandpapery finish helps the picture at all. I know it isn't hurting it, other than cutting brightness by about 10%.

Also, I finally got samples off to Mech today! Woo hoo! One rolled sample, one sandpaper sample.
post #60 of 108 Old 12-12-12, 07:38 PM
Senior Shackster

Ah I understand.

Maybe mech can take some close up's of yours and mine( if he still has the sample) so we could see them just for seeing sake.