My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 108 Old 12-20-12, 09:56 AM
Senior Shackster

john

My System
Re: My Glidden Diamond 450 (White) Screen

mech, did you get a chance to test the samples?.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 108 Old 12-20-12, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Take your time Mech, it's the holidays! I'll be thrilled to get the results even if you don't have time till Spring. It took me close to a year to get them to you!
post #63 of 108 Old 12-20-12, 09:54 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

Spring no way I want it now.

post #64 of 108 Old 12-21-12, 12:50 AM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

No problem, just would like to see what this paint has.
post #65 of 108 Old 12-21-12, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

I rolled 2 or 3 coats, I think it was 3, but that was a long time ago... I sprayed 9 very thin coats. I know it would be only a small part of the picture, but did you get on axis gain?

Thanks Mech! I'm going to do another check with my i1 Pro and BabelColor to see how it compares to your readings... Be nice to have a verification that my i1 Pro is still accurate!
post #66 of 108 Old 12-21-12, 05:24 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

My jaw was slake and agape when I saw those sprayed measurements, they are virtually identical to the Glidden Premium GLN-9000 sold at Home Depot for less than $10 a quart, which is the most neutral white paint I have measured with my spectro. Here is a photo of the can -

Here is the page for this paint at HD's site. Please note that while the actual number of the paint is GLN9000-04 (the -04 designates it as a quart) the photo on the web page is for GLN9011 which is a different Glidden white paint.

Oops, this is the page for 5 gallon containers. Just click on the volume button and select quart to get to that info.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...9#.UNTpcK4sa9E

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the same paint as the Glidden Diamond 450 and people buying the Glidden Premium aren't getting one whale of a good paint for next to nothing in price!
post #67 of 108 Old 12-21-12, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

That's a very good question. Two things I'd like to see: One. How well does the cheaper Glidden roll as compared to the Diamond 450? Two. Gain. Maybe we can prevail upon Mech to check the gain of the cheaper paint when he checks the samples I sent him? Pretty please?

After the holidays, I'll pick up a quart of this stuff and paint a test panel. I can put it up against my screen and eyeball it at different angles...
post #68 of 108 Old 12-23-12, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Cool! Thanks Mech!
post #69 of 108 Old 12-23-12, 12:42 PM
Shackster

Looking at the datasheets, the GLN9000 and the Diamond 450 have different ingredients, and some of the common ingredients are in different amounts. No idea how they compare in terms of visuals or performance, though.

Out of curiosity, how did Diamond 450 become the pick over the GLN9000 in the first place, if the Home Depot stuff is far cheaper, much more widely available, and extremely neutral and bright?

$20/gallon for the 9000 at Home Depot is very tempting!
post #70 of 108 Old 12-23-12, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

I settled on the Diamond 450 because of the rave reviews the Dulux "Light and Space" paint gets in Europe. The claims are that it's a 1.2 gain mix. After a lot of calling around I found that the Diamond 450 is the exact same paint as the Dulux. Same company, same paint, different names. Further, it is supposed to have some "secret ingredient" that increases reflectivity--or gain. I ran some tests in another thread that showed the Diamond 450 to be pretty much a match for brightness to the Carrada Brilliant White commercial screen. If anything, the Glidden was a hair brighter and more neutral to boot. The Carrada has a claimed gain of 1.4, and I believe it's been measured somewhere or other at around 1.25. The Glidden measured brighter at every angle with my i1 Pro, but we're waiting for actual gain measurements.

I have absolutely no idea yet how well the cheaper Glidden will compare. It's certainly worth investigating.