Looking for a paint to use as my screen. Dark grey elsewhere. - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Looking for a paint to use as my screen. Dark grey elsewhere.

Hello. First off, my quick story will be a testament to my ignorance.

I misread a post in a different section saying to paint my wall dark gray.
Apparently he meant the walls, not the actual area I would be projecting on.

My fault

I bought a sample tub of Stealth Jet and painted the area where I project my screen.

Oddly enough, I thought it looked better than my plain white wall..

Anyway, I'm looking for a paint to use as my screen area. A screen is not in my budget right now.
I am thinking of framing it out, too but my projector has the adjustable picture on the front, to alter the size.
I use this when playing video games, I make the image smaller.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to paint tonight! thanks

Quote:
Epson 705HD Projection System: Epson 3LCD, 3-chip optical engine
Projection Method: Front / rear / ceiling mount
Driving Method: Epson Poly-silicon TFT Active Matrix
Pixel Number: 1,024,000 dots (1280 x 800) x 3
Color Brightness (Color Light Ouput): 2500 lumens1
White Brightness (White Light Output): 2500 lumens1 (ISO 21118 Standard)
Aspect Ratio: 16:10
Native Resolution: 1280 x 720 (720p)

here's the color I tried

and some pics of my display before I painted it

the area with lights on.

Last edited by Phrankoff; 12-07-12 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 11:13 AM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System
Re: Looking for a paint to use as my screen. Dark grey elsewhere.

If you have total light control, I would recommend the C&S Ultra. I did it in my room and it looks AMAZING.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #3 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 11:39 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Phrankoff wrote: View Post
Hello. First off, my quick story will be a testament to my ignorance.

I misread a post in a different section saying to paint my wall dark gray.
Apparently he meant the walls, not the actual area I would be projecting on.

My fault

I bought a sample tub of Stealth Jet and painted the area where I project my screen.

Oddly enough, I thought it looked better than my plain white wall..
Yeah, Behr 'Stealth Jet' is a N3 black paint which would make for a VERY dark screen. It's also not all that neutral in color. Great for HT walls, but not so much as a screen.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm looking for a paint to use as my screen area. A screen is not in my budget right now.
I am thinking of framing it out, too but my projector has the adjustable picture on the front, to alter the size.
I use this when playing video games, I make the image smaller.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm looking to paint tonight! thanks
What size screen do you want to make? That will affect the shade of gray used.

post #4 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Yeah, Behr 'Stealth Jet' is a N3 black paint which would make for a VERY dark screen. It's also not all that neutral in color. Great for HT walls, but not so much as a screen.

What size screen do you want to make? That will affect the shade of gray used.
Around 85x-90
post #5 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 12:11 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Around 85x-90
With a new lamp you would be getting ~50 fc of image brightness even in Theater mode and the lamp in Eco mode.

If you want to stick with paints that you can get at Home Depot then I recommend Glidden Premium in flat finish tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. This color is ~N7.5. Glidden makes better paint than Behr, it is less expensive and you certainly don't need the slight extra gain you get when using the Behr latex enamel. Also, HD won't mix Glidden colors in Behr paints.

Even with this N7.5 shade of gray you may still need to get a neutral density filter to cut down on the brightness of your image.
post #6 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
With a new lamp you would be getting ~50 fc of image brightness even in Theater mode and the lamp in Eco mode.

If you want to stick with paints that you can get at Home Depot then I recommend Glidden Premium in flat finish tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. This color is ~N7.5. Glidden makes better paint than Behr, it is less expensive and you certainly don't need the slight extra gain you get when using the Behr latex enamel. Also, HD won't mix Glidden colors in Behr paints.

Even with this N7.5 shade of gray you may still need to get a neutral density filter to cut down on the brightness of your image.
thanks a lot!

I will hit up home depot tomorrow. I went at lunch and bought a gallon of my Stealth Jet paint. How much do you think I will need of the Glidden? As previously stated I have painted the wall with the stealth. I think I'm going to put a coat of primer or two on it then sand it before painting it the Veil.
post #7 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 03:18 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
thanks a lot!

I will hit up home depot tomorrow. I went at lunch and bought a gallon of my Stealth Jet paint. How much do you think I will need of the Glidden? As previously stated I have painted the wall with the stealth. I think I'm going to put a coat of primer or two on it then sand it before painting it the Veil.
The Glidden Premium interior flat latex is only $9.82 a quart so I would get a quart of it tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. That will paint your screen and give you a good bit left over in case you have to repaint a boo boo some time in the future or if you have a mishap during painting and have to put on another coat or two.

Glidden 'Veil' is an older color that might not be in the current Glidden database in their computer. Stick to your guns though because it SHOULD be in their list of databases for Glidden paints. I know at Lowe's it is in the "Glidden Master Palette" database. If you can't get satisfaction from anyone in the paint department ask to speak to the store manager.
post #8 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
The Glidden Premium interior flat latex is only $9.82 a quart so I would get a quart of it tinted to Glidden 'Veil'. That will paint your screen and give you a good bit left over in case you have to repaint a boo boo some time in the future or if you have a mishap during painting and have to put on another coat or two.

Glidden 'Veil' is an older color that might not be in the current Glidden database in their computer. Stick to your guns though because it SHOULD be in their list of databases for Glidden paints. I know at Lowe's it is in the "Glidden Master Palette" database. If you can't get satisfaction from anyone in the paint department ask to speak to the store manager.
lol will I really be met with such resistance? Tis just paint

if I need to throw down with some old biddy in the paint section I will

I had another thought. How in the world would one go about painting a screen on their wall without framing it? do people do that?
post #9 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 03:34 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

I am pretty certain I have seen where someone marks off where the screen would be and puts tape up - much like taping your baseboards when painting a wall.

Last edited by ALMFamily; 12-07-12 at 03:35 PM. Reason: spelling correction
post #10 of 22 Old 12-07-12, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
ALMFamily wrote: View Post
I am pretty certain I have seen where someone marks off where the screen would be and puts tape up - much like taping your baseboards when painting a wall.
yeah I just saw a thread with someone taping it off. Better make sure its applied straight