Does sico or Cil paint have anything good - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 12 Old 12-10-12, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

How good are these two? These are two canadian companies. Any info available on these?

Last edited by tank; 12-10-12 at 12:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-10-12, 02:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Does sico or Cil paint have anything good

Quote:
tank wrote: View Post
How good are these two? These are two canadian companies. Any info available on these?
I don't know anything about Sico paints, but CIL paints are good stuff! They are available in a wide range of neutral grays from almost white to almost black.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-10-12, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I don't know anything about Sico paints, but CIL paints are good stuff! They are available in a wide range of neutral grays from almost white to almost black.
Great , if you can recommend me something in cil that would be great. I have an account and get a big discount on cil paints.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-10-12, 06:24 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Great , if you can recommend me something in cil that would be great. I have an account and get a big discount on cil paints.
Here are the CIL tint codes and color names for neutral grays:

Tint Code ... "Color Name" [Munsell Value]

00NN 05/000 . . . "Dark Secret" (black) [N2.3]
00NN 07/000 . . . "Deep Onyx" (black) [N3.2]
00NN 13/000 . . . "Obsidian Glass" [N4.3]
00NN 16/000 . . . "Grey Tabby" [N4.7]
00NN 20/000 . . . "Grimmy's Grey" [N5.2]
00NN 25/000 . . . "Seal Grey" [N5.7]
00NN 31/000 . . . "Icon Grey" [N6.25]
00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7]
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3]
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8]
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3]
00NN 72/000 . . . "Snowfield" [N8.8]

You can print this out and take it with you to the store then tell them you want the last color listed (the one I bolded). They won't have a clue what N values mean.

If you can get a CIL paint that is "made with Lumitec technology" so much the better, but it's not a deal-breaker if you can't. I'm not familiar with CIL paint finishes so I could only recommend a flat or matte paint finish. You might be able to get away with using a higher gloss paint to get more gain, but then again you might not and have discernable hot spotting.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-10-12, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
Here are the CIL tint codes and color names for neutral grays:

Tint Code ... "Color Name" [Munsell Value]

00NN 05/000 . . . "Dark Secret" (black) [N2.3]
00NN 07/000 . . . "Deep Onyx" (black) [N3.2]
00NN 13/000 . . . "Obsidian Glass" [N4.3]
00NN 16/000 . . . "Grey Tabby" [N4.7]
00NN 20/000 . . . "Grimmy's Grey" [N5.2]
00NN 25/000 . . . "Seal Grey" [N5.7]
00NN 31/000 . . . "Icon Grey" [N6.25]
00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7]
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3]
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8]
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3]
00NN 72/000 . . . "Snowfield" [N8.8]

You can print this out and take it with you to the store then tell them you want the last color listed (the one I bolded). They won't have a clue what N values mean.

If you can get a CIL paint that is "made with Lumitec technology" so much the better, but it's not a deal-breaker if you can't. I'm not familiar with CIL paint finishes so I could only recommend a flat or matte paint finish. You might be able to get away with using a higher gloss paint to get more gain, but then again you might not and have discernable hot spotting.
Thanks i appreciate it.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-11-12, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Thanks i appreciate it.
I was told by the paint store that glidden is cil here in quebec and they both use the same master pallet.

Thanks Serge
post #7 of 12 Old 12-11-12, 12:59 PM
Senior Shackster
Tig

My System

How would the "Snowfield" tint compare to Cream & Sugar Ultra? I understand it'll be a little more grey. Do these CIL tints require mixing with something else, or are they intended for standalone use? I've read the screen index thread, which lead me to the C&S Ultra thread, and then discovered Behr is no longer recommended if it can be avoided, not to mention that online stores I've checked out don't have Liquitex Basic Silver (except amazon.com - not .ca - which has 2 tubes). Can someone point me to some info I'm not picking up on?
post #8 of 12 Old 12-11-12, 01:17 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
CdnTiger wrote: View Post
How would the "Snowfield" tint compare to Cream & Sugar Ultra? I understand it'll be a little more grey. Do these CIL tints require mixing with something else, or are they intended for standalone use? I've read the screen index thread, which lead me to the C&S Ultra thread, and then discovered Behr is no longer recommended if it can be avoided, not to mention that online stores I've checked out don't have Liquitex Basic Silver (except amazon.com - not .ca - which has 2 tubes). Can someone point me to some info I'm not picking up on?
Correct, the 'Snowfield' will be just a bit darker than C&S Ultra, and also have a bit less gain because it has no additional reflective element in it which C&S Ultra does. Unless you are trying to get as much image brightness as you can from your screen you don't need a reflectively enhanced screen mix.

Getting Liquitex paints in Canada can be a problem. I'm not sure why that is since they are actually made in England. I understand if folks have to use Behr paints, but I hope the Canadian versions are better than the stuff in the U.S. The way I understand it, Behr #1850 paint is hard to find in CA as well and folks are forced to use the ULTRA #1750 instead. That is the paint that started the whole "paint + primer in one" nonsense.

The CIL/Glidden paints are good, and in CA they can be gotten in a wide range of neutral grays (already listed). To be SURE of no danger of hot spotting I would recommend using those paints in flat or matte finish.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-11-12, 01:37 PM
Senior Shackster
Tig

My System

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Epson 8500UB in a completely light controlled room, so I should be OK without the extra reflectivity, I think. I may do some viewing with the lights on, but dimmed, hence my interest in a screen of N9 or so. Looks like I'll be giving "Snowfield" a shot.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-11-12, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
CdnTiger wrote: View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Epson 8500UB in a completely light controlled room, so I should be OK without the extra reflectivity, I think. I may do some viewing with the lights on, but dimmed, hence my interest in a screen of N9 or so. Looks like I'll be giving "Snowfield" a shot.
Please post back your opinion, i have the same projector as you and i'm going to give that snowfield from shirwin williams a try also. I'm trying just a sample board.

Thanks