help with projector screen - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 18 Old 01-01-13, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: help with projector screen

sorry to keep going on just one more thing do i need a black border what are the benefits and whats the best thing to use thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 04:27 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
jules3876 wrote: View Post
sorry to keep going on just one more thing do i need a black border what are the benefits and whats the best thing to use thanks.
The black border (the bigger, the better...) increases the perceived image contrast. The best material to use as a black border is black velvet....of course, as (almost) all things in life, is the most expensive as well.

I would add a masking system for 2,35 movies. The difference in perceived contrast is quite impressive.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi thanks for your help, what is the best color to have on my ceiling, walls and floor with my set up.

post #14 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 03:52 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Hi thanks so much for your help, how many primer coats do you recommend, and also please can you confirm the dulux paint should be a white paint with a tint of 00NN 53/000 which then makes the color grey steel 2 in a matte finish, and this shade is about N7.5.

If i do all this then the blacks, whites,colors and my eyes should be ok.

thanks so much for your help found the dulux paint at my local store it was a OTS paint named grey steel 2
can't wait to try it all out with 1080p blu ray. I will be using my apple macbook to play it through thunderbolt to hdmi using vlc media player will this work or any tips.
You should prime until the color being painted over is no longer visible through the dried primer. Usually 2 coats will do it unless you are priming over a very strong color or a very dark one. The dry primer should appear as a solid color with no dappling. Be sure to prevent getting runs or sags in the paint during both priming and painting the top coat. If you do get a run or sag lightly blot it while wet and then lightly sand the area with a medium (220 grit) sanding sponge when dry, then put on another coat.

The "Steel 2" color should work a treat for you. Be sure it is in a flat or matte finish.

As for using your computer and VLC (which I use every day and love) as an image source, that can be a bit problematic. You see neither of those items is designed to produce a standard video image in terms of gamma, white or black levels as most dedicated DVD players are. This means these values can be off and degrade the image from what it should be. To add to the confusion at least VLC and the PJ can both set contrast, brightness, color and gamma values (and probably the macbook as well). That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen and I don't know which one you should go with to set those values.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 04:35 PM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen and I don't know which one you should go with to set those values.
Best to deal only with the projector's settings leaving at default values VLC.

jules3876,

as for the surrounding colors (ceiling, pavement), the darker = the better!! (dark blue, brown, gray e.t.c.)

Happy new year to both of you!!
post #16 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi happy new year guys, aaah so sad to here that my vlc and macbook is not a good source to play my 1080p movies from i havn't opened the pj yet may be i will send it back, i was hoping it would be a better picture than my laptop never mind, any tips guy's. Don't want to nuy a blu ray player then buy blu ray films was hopping to download an just watch if yo know what i mean!
post #17 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 05:57 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Hi happy new year guys, aaah so sad to here that my vlc and macbook is not a good source to play my 1080p movies from i havn't opened the pj yet may be i will send it back, i was hoping it would be a better picture than my laptop never mind, any tips guy's. Don't want to nuy a blu ray player then buy blu ray films was hopping to download an just watch if yo know what i mean!
I think you may have misunderstood me, VLC is a great player and I assume the macbook will output the signal without physical problems as well; my only point this that they aren't (to the best of my knowledge) set to output a standard video signal such as a DVD player is, and by that I mean the colors, brightness and contrast levels and gamma setting may be a bit off, but these should be correctable and should produce as good an image as a DVD player in most cases. It may take a little tweaking, but I would expect the setup you described would work fine for a video source to a PJ. I think Yiannis has it right, try to do any image correction with the PJ controls and only start looking at tweaking the macbook or VLC settings if the PJ doesn't have the latitude to make the needed corrections by itself.

If you are getting compressed source video from the internet I would suggest you stick with playing it on your macbook; blowing up a compressed image would enlarge the image compression artifacts as well.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-02-13, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

ok harpmaker thanks i will give it a try see how it goes then, will let you know HTS has been a great help would have been lost otherwise