help with projector screen - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

help with projector screen

Hi everyone i have just bought a epson eh tw5910 with 2100 lumens 2000 contrast just waiting for it to arrive, thought i would start on the screen tell it comes, all i want is to be able to watch crisp movies at night time with a lamp on, my room isn't very big the projector will be 9 feet away from the wall don't know what size image i can have from that distance, anyway not shore what to do for a screen this black widow sounds good but will i need it or should i stick with just flat white.

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 09:40 AM
Elite Shackster
Todd Anderson

My System
How far will your seating be?
post #3 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: help with projector screen

Hi 3 meters.

post #4 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi sorry new to this whats OTS N7-N8 stnd for.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 10:28 AM
Elite Shackster

Luther

My System

Is there anyway to get any more distance from the projector to the screen? At 9 feet, your projected image will only be around 72 diagonal or 66 wide.

~There are many roads to nirvana, while the ultimate goal is the destination, don't forget to enjoy the ride~
post #6 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi can i not use zoom on the projecter to make it bigger thanks.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-31-12, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hi do i need to add anything to the neutral grey no.8 or just a white primer then paint or should i do the black widow mix thanks.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-01-13, 10:46 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
jules3876 wrote: View Post
Hi everyone i have just bought a epson eh tw5910 with 2100 lumens 2000 contrast just waiting for it to arrive, thought i would start on the screen tell it comes, all i want is to be able to watch crisp movies at night time with a lamp on, my room isn't very big the projector will be 9 feet away from the wall don't know what size image i can have from that distance, anyway not shore what to do for a screen this black widow sounds good but will i need it or should i stick with just flat white.

thanks guys.
I'm guessing you are in the U.K. since that PJ seems to get the most hits from U.K. sites and I haven't been able to find a detailed review of it online. Also, that PJ has a rated contrast of 20,000:1 - you missed a zero.

Using the data from the Epson EH-TW9500 from projectorcentral, with the PJ mounted 9 feet from the screen you could have a screen size anywhere from 58" to 94" diagonal 16:9 aspect ratio. This would give you approximately 58 to 38 fc of image brightness depending on screen size. The recommended range for image brightness is 16 to 12 fL (fL and fc are the same for a screen with a gain of 1.0. fL is foot lambert and fc is foot candle). As you can see you will have a VERY bright image which needs to be toned down or it will cause eye strain. The simplest way to do this is to use a neutral gray paint which will both absorb some light to darken the image and also help maintain black level and color depth with ambient light in the room.

You could use BW™ UK. but I think a regular OTS (off the shelf) neutral gray paint would serve you better than Black Widow™. In your neck of the woods that would be Dulux paint tinted with the formula 00NN 53/000 "Grey Steel 2" in Matte finish. Just give the paint person at your Dulux paint store the info in bold print and they should be able to make the paint for you. The "name" of that paint color changes from time to time, but the formula in bold print stays the same. This paint is around N7.5 in gray shade and very neutral.

Quote:
Hi sorry new to this whats OTS N7-N8 stnd for.
No reason to apologize, pretty much only artists working with oils or acrylics, and DIY screen builders, are familiar with N-shades of gray; your paint store most likely never heard of them either. These values come from the Munsell Color System and denote the shade of a color. N10 = pure white and N0 (zero) = pure black. OTS is just "shorthand" for Off The Shelf paint and means a paint that YOU do not need to mix or color at home. It's ready to use as bought from the store.
post #9 of 18 Old 01-01-13, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Smile Re: help with projector screen

Hi thanks so much for your help, how many primer coats do you recommend, and also please can you confirm the dulux paint should be a white paint with a tint of 00NN 53/000 which then makes the color grey steel 2 in a matte finish, and this shade is about N7.5.

If i do all this then the blacks, whites,colors and my eyes should be ok
post #10 of 18 Old 01-01-13, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

thanks so much for your help found the dulux paint at my local store it was a OTS paint named grey steel 2
can't wait to try it all out with 1080p blu ray. I will be using my apple macbook to play it through thunderbolt to hdmi using vlc media player will this work or any tips