I just finishen Shirwin Williams it's hotspoting - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-13, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

I just finishen Shirwin Williams it's hotspoting

I just finished painting my screen with the shirwin williams proclasic extra white. I did 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of sw and it's hotspoting. I'm getting vertical lines that change places as i move from left to right.
I painted it 30 hours ago. Will this still disappear or am i screwed. The image is absolutely stunning if it weren't for this. Some beginners would probably not notice it but after 4 projectors
these things drive me crazy. It definitly is getting better as the hours are passing is there a chance that it fully disappears. I put up my painted test panel and it doesn't hotspot at all and it 2' by 4 feet.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-02-13, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
tank wrote: View Post
I just finished painting my screen with the shirwin williams proclasic extra white. I did 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of sw and it's hotspoting. I'm getting vertical lines that change places as i move from left to right.
I painted it 30 hours ago. Will this still disappear or am i screwed. The image is absolutely stunning if it weren't for this. Some beginners would probably not notice it but after 4 projectors
these things drive me crazy. It definitly is getting better as the hours are passing is there a chance that it fully disappears. I put up my painted test panel and it doesn't hotspot at all and it 2' by 4 feet.

Thanks
I just noticed, that if i move up and down from the same seated position the hotspots disappear. My projector is ceiling mounted and if i stand up on my tip toes all the hotspoting is gone and if i sit down on the floor it becomes worse then sitting on my sofa. What can this mean.

Thanks
post #3 of 6 Old 01-02-13, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok let's make sure that i'm using the right term when i'm saying that it hot spotting. I'm seeing darker vertical bars a couple inches wide some 2 inches others 3 inches. It looks like rainbows falling from the sky but in a darker shade of black like if it were dark clouds. In my case it has nothing to do with a bright light in the middle of the screen anywhere.

Is this what other's are seeing when there referring to hot spotting

Thanks and sorry for my bad english, it's my 3rd language.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-02-13, 10:06 PM
Elite Shackster

Tony

My System
Re: I just finishen Shirwin Williams it's hotspoting

I do know that 30hrs is not long enough to really cure. Give it another 24 hrs at least and it may go away. What sheen was the SW paint? anything other than flat/matt may not be good.

Home theater:
Onkyo 805, Yamaha YDP2006EQ, Samson Servo 600 amp
3 EV Sentry 500 monitors across the front, 4 Mission 762i's Surrounds, SVS PB13U sub, Panasonic BDT220, Harmony 1100, Nintendo WiiU
Panasonic PT-AE8000 on a 120" 2,35:1 fixed screen

Living room system:
Sherwood/Newcastle R972, Mission 765's, SVS SBS02's, A/D/S MS3u sub, Yamaha YDG2030EQ
Yamaha KX-393 Tape deck, CDC 805 CD changer, Panasonic BD60, Sony turntable PS-T20
Panasonic TC-P50ST60, HD-PVR & WDTV Live, Harmony 900

post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-13, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Ok i figured it out, when doing a close examination of the screen , and looking at it from an angle , i can see that i missed a few spots with the roller. Painting white on white primer is always a little trickier. I was running low on the paint, so i was being careful not to run out.

No big deal, i'll buy one more quart and give it a third coat .

Thanks

Last edited by tank; 01-04-13 at 06:54 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-04-13, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: I just finishen Shirwin Williams it's hotspoting

I watched lord of the rings on this screen, and all i can say is wow! The colors, and sharpness are really incredible. With this newly painted screen i can now watch my movies in my projectors best color mode d65k. The brightness is now exactly where i like to have it. This screen blows away my Da lite grey hccv screen witch it is replacing.

I'm also getting this better brightness at 108", compared to my previous 94" Da lite.