diy screen paint suggestions. please help - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-13, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

diy screen paint suggestions. please help

OPTOMA HD2200

PROJECTOR IS 17 FT FROM THE SCREEN

original screen was painted misty evening flat

currently screen is silver screen flat

while the drywall is in good condition and new, there are minor imperfections in the wall due to me expanding the screen 3 times in the past 10 years.

screen frame is .5 inch moulding from home depot spray painted flat black

i am currently re doing my entire theater room as a result having floor dug up to replace sewer line. since im basically re doing my entire theater, i really want my new screen to WOW me. im hoping for the new screen to have more POP than before, but im paranoid about the hot spotting and sheen of the paint showing off the imperfections in the wall.

flat vs eggshell vs satin = major confusion for me. please help! dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-13, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Cream and sugar vs black widow?

i am remodeling my basement, and want to know if cream and sugar or black widow will be best for me.

precisely what information do I need to provide to help with my decision?

thanks
dave
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-13, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: diy screen paint suggestions. please help

screen is 125 inches diag

theater room in basement with recessed lighting. glass block windows are blocked so no sunlight gets into the room

let me know if there is any other information you need to assist me. thanks for your help

post #4 of 19 Old 01-20-13, 05:40 AM
HTS Moderator

Have you calibrated your projector (or intend to do it) or not?

How many hours on your lamp?
post #5 of 19 Old 01-20-13, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

i had the projector taken down out of fear the carpet people and painters would walk into it. i will not know lap hours for a few weeks, im estimating its around 2500. ive emailed my home theater guy to see if he already calibrated it. this is the information i can give you at this time....

FRONT ROW SEATING: 11 FT FROM SCREEN
SECOND LEVEL SEATING: 18 FT FROM SCREEN
PROJECTOR IS MOUNTED 17 FT FROM THE SCREEN
LUMENS: 1900 ANSI
CONTRAST RATIO 5000:1
THROW RATIO: 1.5 TO 1.8.1
post #6 of 19 Old 01-21-13, 12:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
dcgrinch wrote: View Post
i had the projector taken down out of fear the carpet people and painters would walk into it. i will not know lap hours for a few weeks, im estimating its around 2500. ive emailed my home theater guy to see if he already calibrated it. this is the information i can give you at this time....

A belated Welcome to HTS!

With the data you have provided, and using the projectorcentral calculator, it seems with a 125" 16:9 screen would be getting hit with ~16 fC of light (this assumes a lamp that has lost 25% of it's initial brightness) which would put you at ~12 fc at the dimmest. If you like an image with the blackest blacks and rich, saturated colors then a N8 neutral gray OTS (off the shelf) paint should work well for you. However, I understand your current screen is Behr 'Silver Screen' which if it was mixed correctly would be an N8. If this screen is too dim for you (this is a very subjective area) then I would recommend Glidden Premium interior flat latex paint tinted to Glidden 'Snowfield' which is ~N9. Both the whites and the blacks in the projected image will be brighter than with the N8 'Silver Screen', but it might give you the "pop" you are looking for. The flat finish of this paint would not highlight any but the largest imperfections of your wall.

As to using BW or C&S Ultra, these mixes would tend to highlight texture differences and other imperfections of the wall so they would have to be fixed before their use. The wall would NOT need to be "baby bottom" smooth like suggested on another DIY screen forum, but the texture DOES need to be the same over the whole screen area. Neither BW nor C&S Ultra will hot spot and both can be rolled.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-21-13, 05:20 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:

If i were you, i would look for a new bulb before deciding what paint to choose. Many people believe that after so many hours the lamps become dimmer and that's it. The lamp's performance affects the whole picture. So, after 2500 hours not only you have a dimmer projector but less contrast as well. As the lamp ages, it's loosing its power and can't maintain the original contrast ratios. That affects equally white and black levels making your image appear flatter and flatter as time goes by.

Furthermore, after so many hours you have (probably) to open it up for a clean treatment. I guess you 'll find a lot of dust and dirt in it.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-21-13, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

thanks for welcoming me to your site, i really like it! ive read on these forums that you dont recommend eggshell for projectors that have low lumens. how many lumens do you need to have in order to be able to get eggshell sheen?

i have 1900 lumens

thanks
dave
post #9 of 19 Old 01-21-13, 07:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
thanks for welcoming me to your site, i really like it! ive read on these forums that you dont recommend eggshell for projectors that have low lumens. how many lumens do you need to have in order to be able to get eggshell sheen?

i have 1900 lumens

thanks
dave
The problem with paint gloss levels higher than flat or matte is that there is no industry-wide defined gloss standard for what makes an "eggshell" finish or a "satin" finish etc. For example, Glidden Premium paint in eggshell finish will almost certainly hot spot if used to paint a screen, but Valspar Premium paint in eggshell finish won't hot spot and will work fine in most cases.

From my own experience, I don't believe that screen hot spotting has much to do with how many lumens are hitting the screen. Any screen sample that I tested that hot spotted did so at all brightnesses I tested it at, from ~6 fL to ~30 fL.
post #10 of 19 Old 01-22-13, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

what is the difference between valspar premium and valspar ultra premium? thanks. and which of those would you suggest?

thanks
dave