Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 21 Old 01-31-13, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Nak what would your prediction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond

Nak you've seen both side by side and you've done some comparisons between the two what would you think the gain is on each one just from a visual point of view.

I might need to bring up my gain once I do 135". Going from 1.0 to 1.2 or 1.3 is huge at that size. What was your thoughts between sw pro classic and the glidden 450 diamond?

Thanks

Last edited by tank; 02-01-13 at 06:14 AM. Reason: typing mistake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 02-01-13, 10:26 AM
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System
Re: Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond

Let me dig up the pics I took. I'll post them up here.
post #3 of 21 Old 02-01-13, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Re: Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond

Quote:
Nak wrote: View Post
Let me dig up the pics I took. I'll post them up here.
Great, I would really like to see those picture.

Thanks

post #4 of 21 Old 02-01-13, 12:08 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

I'm also looking at the glidden 450 diamond for my 8700ub. The FP is 16' from 110" screen right now.
post #5 of 21 Old 02-02-13, 02:19 PM
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

Here's some pics. The screen is my sprayed Diamond 450 screen. The long sample in the middle is rolled Diamond 450. The sample on the left is The Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. The sample on the right is a piece of Carada Brilliant White 1.4 gain screen material. (I don't think it's really 1.4 gain.) The last pic is intentionally overexposed to show the black level comparison better. Physics is not to be denied. Brighter whites means brighter blacks.
Attached Thumbnails
Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010814-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010815-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010816-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010818-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010821-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010822-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010823-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010824-custom-.jpg  

Nak what would your prodiction be for gain on sw and also glidden 450 diamond-p1010825-custom-.jpg  

post #6 of 21 Old 02-02-13, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
Here's some pics. The screen is my sprayed Diamond 450 screen. The long sample in the middle is rolled Diamond 450. The sample on the left is The Sherwin Williams Pro Classic. The sample on the right is a piece of Carada Brilliant White 1.4 gain screen material. (I don't think it's really 1.4 gain.) The last pic is intentionally overexposed to show the black level comparison better. Physics is not to be denied. Brighter whites means brighter blacks.
Nak I would have never believed it, if it weren't for these pictures. My whites look really really white in any sceen where there snow or anything else that is white. In those pictures the white of sw actually looks dirty or a little grey in comparison with the glidden. Even my painted screen on the wall looks really really white compared to what I was use to with my grey screen.

Thanks
post #7 of 21 Old 02-02-13, 04:32 PM
Nak
Senior Shackster

My System

No worries Tank! It's all a matter of gray and white. Gray is in fact white, just not as bright. As long as you hit a certain level of fL coming off the screen, how bright your whites are are determined by how much contrast you have, and how well controlled your reflected and ambient light is. For most people, 12 to 16 fL seems to be the key, although I find I like 16 to 20 fL. The SW is not necessarily bad; if you get enough brightness out of your screen with the SW it's great. But if you need to eek every last fL out of your PJ, the Glidden is better. IMHO anyways. If you can go with a full light treatment in your theater, I think White is a great choice. For those that can't, or have an excess of PJ output, then gray is better.
post #8 of 21 Old 02-02-13, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Quote:
No worries Tank! It's all a matter of gray and white. Gray is in fact white, just not as bright. As long as you hit a certain level of fL coming off the screen, how bright your whites are are determined by how much contrast you have, and how well controlled your reflected and ambient light is. For most people, 12 to 16 fL seems to be the key, although I find I like 16 to 20 fL. The SW is not necessarily bad; if you get enough brightness out of your screen with the SW it's great. But if you need to eek every last fL out of your PJ, the Glidden is better. IMHO anyways. If you can go with a full light treatment in your theater, I think White is a great choice. For those that can't, or have an excess of PJ output, then gray is better.
Nak I'm sure that I like a brighter picture, it must be 16 fl to 20 for my personal taeste. That's why I'm impatiently waiting to receive my light meter so that my thoughts can become facts. I'm very happy with the shirwin Williams pro classic now that my projector is somewhat calibrated. I definitly will be sticking with the white screen, hopefully it doesn't start to dim on me with bulb age to the point where I'm not happy. The brighter modes are surprisingly well color balanced with a very respectable image, so that should keep my bulb going for a while.

Thanks
post #9 of 21 Old 02-02-13, 07:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
tank wrote: View Post
Nak I would have never believed it, if it weren't for these pictures. My whites look really really white in any sceen where there snow or anything else that is white. In those pictures the white of sw actually looks dirty or a little grey in comparison with the glidden. Even my painted screen on the wall looks really really white compared to what I was use to with my grey screen.

Thanks
I'll jump in here just to mention that the SW 'Extra White' is not SW's brightest white paint (they have 'Luminous White' and 'High Reflectance White' bases too), but I think it is the brightest white available in ProClassic. The Glidden Diamond 450 and Glidden Premium GLN9000 paints are brighter and more color neutral as well. ProClassic's main claim to fame is the smooth surface it dries too and the ease with which it rolls. Nak's photos do a great job of showing the difference between these paints. BTW, the Glidden Premium GLN9000 seems to be VERY close to the same paint as the more expensive and harder to find Glidden Diamond 450.
post #10 of 21 Old 02-02-13, 07:43 PM
Senior Shackster

john

My System

My projector is the Epson 8700ub and was looking at Silver Screen or Glidden Diamond 450 for my screen. My throw is 16' to 110" screen. My room has dark grey ceiling and dark red walls so which one thanks.

Last edited by robsong; 02-03-13 at 11:20 AM.