DIY Framed screen recommendations for PT AE8000 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 02-17-13, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

DIY Framed screen recommendations for PT AE8000

First, I want to say that I found this forum by accident. I was viewing another forum that rhymes with 'Hey Dee Yes' and was frustrated by the lack of details and hard data in the recommendations. After some googling, I found this forum with extremely helpful people and LOTS of data. So Thank you for just being here in the first place.

After many years of dedicated service, my trusty old Mitsubishi 73" 1080p 73733 finally defecated in the bed (metaphorically of course). Alas, it was time to fulfill my dream of a true home theater setup and I wasted no time in reading all of the latest reviews for the current crop of projectors. After much debate between an Epson, BenQ and Panasonic I have decided on the Panasonic AE8000. From the reviews I've seen, it appears to offer me the best 2D and 3D performance with the richest colors and clarity for a 'reasonable' price. I took the wife to Modia to see what we could achieve and I'm glad to say that she has the bug now as well.

My room is dedicated but not very large. The depth is just over 14' with a width of about 11'. No useable wall is free from doors or window so I plan on building a framed screen. I will put this in front of the blacked out window (2nd floor so no code violations). Based on THX specifications, I plan to build a 110" 16:9 screen since my head will be around 13' away. This is just over the maximum recommended screen size for 1080p but I am anticipating 4k in a few years and I don't want to have to re-build. I can place the projector anywhere up to about 15' away from the screen if I stick it just inside of a closet that will be oposite the screen. I obviously can't put it too far in the closet since the light would be blocked by moving it too far back.

To the heart of the thread..

I had almost decided to go with the BenQ W1070 but it looked to be too bright for my very dark, light controlled room. Also the contrast of the Panasonic is far above that of the BenQ so I *should* get better blacks all things equal. Since I don't have a blank wall to sand and paint (that would be nice!) what should I put up as a screen? I don't need it to be acoustically transparent since I have plenty of room to the sides for my speakers and I'd rather it be optically transparent since it will be going in front of a blacked out window anyway. Portability is not a big issue.

I was thinking about perhaps painted and stretched blackout cloth or Laminate. I have seen almost no threads talking about laminate for a while on this board and that causes some concern. Is this still a good option?

I want something that will look great like a Studiotek and I'm a very capable builder / maker.

Recommendations?

Again, thanks for just being here. Even if this thread dies with no replies it was still worth it just to find this site.

-Frost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-18-13, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: DIY Framed screen recommendations for PT AE8000

I just read a really interesting article on contrast that is making me re-think my inital reasons for the Pano (google 'ausmedia' and 'projector contrast ratio'). I think I might be able to get almost identical results (as far as I can tell with my own eyes anyway) for less. Some of the other features won't be there but I think I can deal.

Another question I have:
If I paint a laminate or gatorfoam surface with BlackWidow or C&S, will that have a negative effect on 3D from these modern projectors? Like one of the new Epsons, BenQ or Panasonics.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-18-13, 09:12 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Frostcall wrote: View Post
First, I want to say that I found this forum by accident. I was viewing another forum that rhymes with 'Hey Dee Yes' and was frustrated by the lack of details and hard data in the recommendations. After some googling, I found this forum with extremely helpful people and LOTS of data. So Thank you for just being here in the first place.
You're welcome! Thanks for wanting hard data enough to find us.

Quote:
After many years of dedicated service, my trusty old Mitsubishi 73" 1080p 73733 finally defecated in the bed (metaphorically of course). Alas, it was time to fulfill my dream of a true home theater setup and I wasted no time in reading all of the latest reviews for the current crop of projectors. After much debate between an Epson, BenQ and Panasonic I have decided on the Panasonic AE8000. From the reviews I've seen, it appears to offer me the best 2D and 3D performance with the richest colors and clarity for a 'reasonable' price. I took the wife to Modia to see what we could achieve and I'm glad to say that she has the bug now as well.
It really helps if one's "significant other" is onboard with a home theater project.

Quote:
My room is dedicated but not very large. The depth is just over 14' with a width of about 11'. No useable wall is free from doors or window so I plan on building a framed screen. I will put this in front of the blacked out window (2nd floor so no code violations). Based on THX specifications, I plan to build a 110" 16:9 screen since my head will be around 13' away. This is just over the maximum recommended screen size for 1080p but I am anticipating 4k in a few years and I don't want to have to re-build. I can place the projector anywhere up to about 15' away from the screen if I stick it just inside of a closet that will be oposite the screen. I obviously can't put it too far in the closet since the light would be blocked by moving it too far back.
Will you be painting the room surfaces, including the ceiling, dark colors?

Quote:
To the heart of the thread..

I had almost decided to go with the BenQ W1070 but it looked to be too bright for my very dark, light controlled room. Also the contrast of the Panasonic is far above that of the BenQ so I *should* get better blacks all things equal. Since I don't have a blank wall to sand and paint (that would be nice!) what should I put up as a screen? I don't need it to be acoustically transparent since I have plenty of room to the sides for my speakers and I'd rather it be optically transparent since it will be going in front of a blacked out window anyway. Portability is not a big issue.
Did you misspeak here? I don't understand why you would want an "optically transparent" front projections screen.

Quote:
I was thinking about perhaps painted and stretched blackout cloth or Laminate. I have seen almost no threads talking about laminate for a while on this board and that causes some concern. Is this still a good option?

I want something that will look great like a Studiotek and I'm a very capable builder / maker.

Recommendations?
Depending on the amount of lumens your PJ has, a BOC (black out cloth) screen will work a treat. Most BOC fabric I have measured came in at a very neutral N9 shade of gray. This gray will look like white unless it is compared directly against a true white. A BOC screen has no sheen or gloss so it will have a VERY wide viewing angle - for all intents and purposes it will have the same image brightness no matter what angle you view the screen at.

Laminates are still a viable screen solution, but quality control seems to have loosened a bit at WilsonArt so some people get hot spotting with their Designer White DIY screens and others don't.

Quote:
Again, thanks for just being here. Even if this thread dies with no replies it was still worth it just to find this site.

-Frost
To the best of my knowledge we have never let a thread go unanswered even if the answer is "we don't know".

post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-13, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Will you be painting the room surfaces, including the ceiling, dark colors?
I can if it helps. Painting is not a problem.

Quote:
Did you misspeak here? I don't understand why you would want an "optically transparent" front projections screen.
Poor phrasing. The screen will be in front of a blacked out* window (*should be blacked out but during the middle of the day, that sun might poke through a wee bit). Hence, I don't want the screen to let light shine through and wash out my image.

After reading threads all day, I'm starting to think Black Widow is the way to go. I base this on the various measurements I've seen here. Can this be painted on a black out cloth or is there a better surface that I can build to paint it on? I want the best screen image that I can get without paying more than $1,000. From what I've been seeing here, it looks like DIY produces better results than most screens that are less than ~$2,000. Obviously if I can spend less then it means that I will be able to buy food so I can live long enough to watch something on the screen.

Is one surface best for the paint?

Last edited by Frostcall; 02-18-13 at 09:45 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-13, 10:27 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Frostcall wrote: View Post
I can if it helps. Painting is not a problem.
Yes, painting room surfaces dark colors (flat black is the best, but it's ugly) will help absorb any ambient light that gets into the room. The best HT is one where all surfaces but the screen are covered in black velvet and the only light in the room comes from the PJ, but such is rarely doable.

Quote:
Poor phrasing. The screen will be in front of a blacked out* window (*should be blacked out but during the middle of the day, that sun might poke through a wee bit). Hence, I don't want the screen to let light shine through and wash out my image.
Ahh, you mean "optically opaque". You might want to get a piece of the BOC you intend on using and check if it will be opaque enough for you. You could make the BOC more light resistant by painting the back of it with black paint. If that didn't do it you would have to go to a solid substrate, but those are commonly hard to find in sizes larger than 4x8 feet.

Quote:
After reading threads all day, I'm starting to think Black Widow is the way to go. I base this on the various measurements I've seen here. Can this be painted on a black out cloth or is there a better surface that I can build to paint it on? I want the best screen image that I can get without paying more than $1,000. From what I've been seeing here, it looks like DIY produces better results than most screens that are less than ~$2,000. Obviously if I can spend less then it means that I will be able to buy food so I can live long enough to watch something on the screen.
Black Widow™ is a good mix, but if you have a dedicated theater it shouldn't be necessary. The darker the room surfaces and the less ambient light you have then the lighter color screen you can use.

Have you decided on your PJ yet? That article on contrast was good (assuming I read what you read).

Quote:
Is one surface best for the paint?
Yes, one side of the BOC will be smoother than the other. Paint the smooth side. However, I'm thinking you probably won't need to paint it.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-19-13, 07:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. If things go well, I will probably be using the system for ~50% 'TV' viewing as well (pre-recorded shows not live). With our old system, my wife liked having some ambient light in the room. This is why I ask about the paint. Sorry, I should have mentioned it up front.

Are there any recommendations or guidance on balckout cloth? I guess I'll probably 'stretch' it over a frame and tack or staple it down. By 'stretch' I mean get it snug.

I'm either going to get the AE8000 (3 year warranty, RF 3D glasses!) or the BenQ W1070 (lots of light, a bit cheaper, great reviews!)