Screen Paint Recommendation for Epson 8350 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 28 Old 02-21-13, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Screen Paint Recommendation for Epson 8350

Screen Paint Recommendation for Epson 8350

Hello All

Long time lurker first time poster.

Long story short 1 year past originally planned completion date of my basement renovation I am finally looking forward to painting my screen. The wall in question is new drywall with 2 coats of kilz primer. I would like to apply with a roller ( would have considered spraying but too late now I am concerned about overspray in other parts of the room as the rest of the wall are painted). I dont mind doing a more complicated paint mix.

I am looking at creating a screen that has 16:9 aspect ratio with a diagonal of approximately 125. My projector is a 16.75 ft from the wall hanging from a ceiling mount. The room is totally light controlled and the windows have blackout curtains (that being said I dont mind a bit of ambient light when watching movies. I would anticipate having a bit of ambient light for 40 percent of my viewing) I purchased a lux meter that was recommended in this forum (lx1010b) which I hope will help. Here is are the readings I got this morning (projector is new and is running factory defaults)

The numbers varied a lot depending on where I took the reading and what color mode was selected. What I did was took one reading in the middle top of the screen and one at dead center for the test screen and a couple of different modes:

Blue test screen ==> top center = 40 lux, dead center = 38lux
Dynamic Mode with Lord of the Rings paused at the map of Middle Earth ==> top center = 50 lux, dead center = 22 lux
Cinema Mode with Lord of the Rings paused at the map of Middle Earth ==> top center = 21 lux, dead center = 15 lux

If you need more info or clarification of my wall of text please let me know

Thank you for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 02-21-13, 10:41 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Screen Paint Recommendation for Epson 8350

Welcome to HTS mandalore!

It's very cool that you took the intuitive and purchased a light meter so you know what YOUR PJ is kicking out of the lens! We have been lax in our duties by not having a thread detailing how to use such a meter. My apologizes for that and I'll try to correct that oversight soon.

You will need a white image to test your PJ output. You could make your own white image on your PC by making an image that is a solid white (RGB values are all 255) in the resolution of your PJ and then burn that image to a DVD. However, I really suggest you get a proper calibration DVD which will have a 100 IRE image (solid white) on it, and of course others, to help properly set your PJ's brightness, contrast and color settings.

When taking measurements with your light meter, place the sensor as close to the screen surface as you can with the sensor pointing toward the PJ. You want to measure the PJ light striking the screen (called "incident light"), not the screen's reflectance. I found that you need to tilt the sensor slightly up, down, left and right a little until you get the brightest readings.

Your brightest reading will probably be in the center of the screen (unless your PJ is offset to the side and you are using lens shift). This is the value we are most concerned with. You could also take readings at each corner of the screen and in the middle of each edge of the screen to get a sense of how evenly your PJ is "painting" the screen. Don't be too concerned about these values being lower than the center of the screen unless there is more than a 1/3rd difference. For example: the center of the screen reads 150 Lux and the other areas drop down to around 100 Lux. As I understand things a difference of this amount is not uncommon and is hard to detect with the eyes alone. If you are getting lower readings (say 50% lower) and the difference is easy to see with the naked eye then you might want to contact the PJ manufacturer.
post #3 of 28 Old 02-22-13, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks for the info and quick reply harpmaker.

I will get those updated numbers for the rgb 255 255 255 and post them as soon I get back from work.

I actually found that highest readings i was getting was top center rather than dead center. My projector is mounted on a peerless projector mount in my case the projector is a about 3-4 inches from the ceiling. I figured seeing as it was the shortest distance it would be higher which is what i was seeing. I have not changed any settings other than color modes and manually adjusted the lens to adjust the size and focus. I will reset back to factory defaults just to make sure.

cheers

post #4 of 28 Old 02-22-13, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Hello again

I purchased a calibration blu ray called Disney World of Wonder but could not find a pure white screen (maybe i am blind )

Anyways after getting frustrated with the my inability to find the test screen what I did was created a 1080p size white image ( 19201080 ) that was RGB 255 255 255

The following is what i found with the sensor pressed flat against the wall at the following locations:

Top Left = 312 Lux
Top Center = 425 Lux
Top Right = 321 Lux
Bottom Left = 268 Lux
Bottom Center = 415 Lux
Bottom Right = 306 Lux
Dead Center 450 Lux

I did 3 trials at each spot and took and average

cheers
post #5 of 28 Old 02-23-13, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Just appending my previous post. Forgot to mention the above readings were in "dynamic mode" which appears to be the brightest of the preset modes also forgot to include cinema mode settings. I will consolidate all my readings for clarity.

The following is what i found with the sensor pressed flat against the wall at the following locations:

Dynamic Mode

Top Left = 312 Lux
Top Center = 425 Lux
Top Right = 321 Lux
Bottom Left = 268 Lux
Bottom Center = 415 Lux
Bottom Right = 306 Lux
Dead Center 450 Lux

Cinema Mode

Top Left = 91 Lux
Top Center = 125 Lux
Top Right = 95 Lux
Bottom Left = 80 Lux
Bottom Center = 124 Lux
Bottom Right = 92 Lux
Dead Center 133 Lux

I did 3 trials at each spot and took and average

cheers
post #6 of 28 Old 02-23-13, 12:04 PM
HTS Moderator

The whiter paint you can find, the better for your set up.
post #7 of 28 Old 02-23-13, 06:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

In Cinema mode you are right about 11-12 fL for most of the image. In Dynamic mode that jumps up to around 40-42 fL (Lux to fL converter here). The normal range of image brightness that people prefer is 12-16 fL so you are at the lower end of that in Cinema mode even with a white screen. However, we have found that what people call an acceptably bright image is very subjective. For instance both Mech and I are quite happy using a Black Widow™ screen (a darker gray) with a measured image brightness of 12 fL while several other folks that visited the forum thought anything less than 16 fL was just too dim even with a white screen.

If you like to have some ambient light on during viewing I would still recommend a light gray screen. We usually recommend Valspar paints due to availability, and they are still a good choice; but Lowe's is in the middle of phasing out the older paint versions for the newer paint+primer stuff (which I don't like, but such seems to be the way of the future). The color of paint would be Glidden 'Snowfield' (a N9 neutral gray) and the paint would be Valspar Ultra Premium in Flat Enamel finish, Valspar Ultra Premium in Super Flat finish or Valspar Ultra in Super Flat finish (these are all basically the same paint, just under different names). Use a 1/4 inch nap roller cover to apply the paint.
post #8 of 28 Old 02-24-13, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Thanks so much for all of the info.

I don't know if I can find that paint here in Canada. I live about 1 hour away from Bellingham Washington so maybe i can pop down there ( only headache being going through customs both ways )

One more question. If i wanted to use the projector in cinema mode would a more reflective mix like the cream & sugar be an option as well?
post #9 of 28 Old 02-24-13, 11:44 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
mandalore wrote: View Post
Thanks so much for all of the info.

I don't know if I can find that paint here in Canada. I live about 1 hour away from Bellingham Washington so maybe i can pop down there ( only headache being going through customs both ways )

One more question. If i wanted to use the projector in cinema mode would a more reflective mix like the cream & sugar be an option as well?
Oops. forgot you are in CA. The good news is that Glidden, Dulux and CIL paints are available in Glidden 'Snowfield' and you should be able to get them locally. The bad news (not that bad really) is that I'm not familiar with the gloss levels of those paints so I could only recommend using a Flat or Matte finish paint to guarantee no hot spotting.

C&S Ultra would work for you nicely in Cinema mode, but I'm not sure about watching sports in Dynamic mode. I don't recall anyone hitting a C&S Ultra screen with that much light. While I don't think it would hot spot even under those light levels, it might show some light "graininess" in large solid color areas such as snow or ice. Another thing is that while there will be a visible brightness difference between C&S Ultra and a regular Off-The-Shelf N9 paint, it wouldn't be a "day and night" difference.
post #10 of 28 Old 02-24-13, 12:14 PM
HTS Moderator

You could consider also the ''white opulence 879'' option from Benjamin Moore, which gave me pretty good results.

Attached Thumbnails
Screen Paint Recommendation for Epson 8350-879-b.jpg