120" Screen, Wilsonart or Sintra? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #1 of 6 Old 02-25-13, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

120" Screen, Wilsonart or Sintra?

I have my paint colors down in case I do go with a paintable substrate. But yesterday after researching I've been thinking more and more about just using the wilsonart Designer white or fashion gray. I've been looking through all the options over and over again and been seeing each ones drawbacks. I looked into blackout cloth but been seeing wrinkling issues and I want something to be more solid anyway that would be easy to clean. Has anyone found anything more neutral in the laminates or sintra department than the fashion gray that would not have to be painted? Will I have to apply a coat of poly to the fashion gray?

I'm still deciding btw the white or gray as well. Its a tough decision as I've had a kilz white wall for awhile and though it looked awesome watching hockey as well as a couple movies and have also had it on a very dark gray wall for some time now and still think it looks great but its much dimmer. Doesn't help that the wall has to be an N7 or darker thats for sure, possilby N6 or darker. Thats just a personal decision though that I have to make. Anyone switch from one to another? Reactions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-13, 12:49 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: 120" Screen, Wilsonart or Sintra?

Quote:
bmfjimbo80 wrote: View Post
I have my paint colors down in case I do go with a paintable substrate. But yesterday after researching I've been thinking more and more about just using the wilsonart Designer white or fashion gray. I've been looking through all the options over and over again and been seeing each ones drawbacks. I looked into blackout cloth but been seeing wrinkling issues and I want something to be more solid anyway that would be easy to clean. Has anyone found anything more neutral in the laminates or sintra department than the fashion gray that would not have to be painted? Will I have to apply a coat of poly to the fashion gray?
IIRC the white and gray Sintra are more color neutral than the WA laminates, but since Sintra is designed to be painted it could hot spot if left in the original state. As I understand things now, WA 'Designer White' may hot spot depending on your luck of the draw. I think I remember 'Fashion Gray' tended to hot spot more than 'Designer White'. What makes Sintra so good as a screen substrate is that in the 6 mm thickness it doesn't need a frame and can simply be painted and attached to the wall.

Quote:
I'm still deciding btw the white or gray as well. Its a tough decision as I've had a kilz white wall for awhile and though it looked awesome watching hockey as well as a couple movies and have also had it on a very dark gray wall for some time now and still think it looks great but its much dimmer. Doesn't help that the wall has to be an N7 or darker thats for sure, possilby N6 or darker. Thats just a personal decision though that I have to make. Anyone switch from one to another? Reactions?
If you have experience watching both a white and a gray screen then you are the best judge to what shade of screen you would like. In general the reasoning is like this, you start with a white screen and then go darker as needed. As the screen gets darker (assuming it also stays neutral) you will be able to have more ambient light during viewing and the projected image will have more perceived contrast and darker blacks provided that the gray isn't so dark the image gets too dim. It's all a balancing act.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-25-13, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

I'm gonna look into the price of the sintra from some local sign shops.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-25-13, 05:53 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Not sure where you are located, but I can tell you a 4'x8' sheet cost me $70 here is Wisconsin.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

post #5 of 6 Old 02-25-13, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster

Ok so they are prolly similiar in price. Hows your theater coming along? I haven't checked in on your build in a long time.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-25-13, 08:28 PM
HTS Moderator

Joe

My System

Quote:
bmfjimbo80 wrote: View Post
Ok so they are prolly similiar in price. Hows your theater coming along? I haven't checked in on your build in a long time.
Pretty close to done now - just have to build the rear speaker holders and some small clean-up work. Then, it is on to the "foyer" area!