Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen - Page 2 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #11 of 96 Old 04-21-13, 04:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen

Quote:
olwe wrote: View Post
Hi. Here the pics of the label and the mix that I did. As you can see, there is some splash of AAA-F on the side of the can I used.

I will mix them some before I put on the final coat. I did use a mixer I got from Lowe's. I will pm you later for your addresa to send a sample of my mix.

I added 2 4oz bottles of the AAA. I even added a little bit of water in he bottle to get as much AAA out.

I used a mixer that I attached to a drill. It is like a fan of short and long plastic blades. I stirred the mixture up again for a good 15 mins and still no change in colour.

I might have to re-paint it in a few months. But, the picture I am having still looks good.
It's hard to get reliable color data from a photograph, but it sure seems like the Valspar wasn't tinted correctly even though the lable says it should be PPG 'Bermuda Beige' 427-2. I'll check into this and have a sample tinted to your formula.

Glad you're liking your screen, but it'll be even better when it's a neutral gray.

Awaiting you PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 96 Old 04-21-13, 05:13 PM
Shackster

I'm quite disappointed too that I didn't get the correct mix but for now, this screen will do. I don't think I will have enough time to get everything for a new mix of BW. I just want to have a big screen when the NHL playoffs start. I'm a big Vancouver Canucks fan.

Please check your pm.
post #13 of 96 Old 04-22-13, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Shackster

Question Re: Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen

Thank you for the reply. I didn't get my AAA in the mail yet but plan on getting it today. Seeing the post from "olwe" the other day has be wondering if I should even repaint my screen. It sounds as though he was getting basically the same color after mixing as me. I saw the reply from "mechman" informing me that my new paint mix appears to be correct and thank you for that. The only Black Widow reference I can look at is on the computer and that really doesn't help because I have no idea if my monitor is calibrated correctly.

My question is:

Taking my new quart of paint shown in my previous post and mixing it with 8 oz Auto Air Aluminum 4101 (two 4 oz bottles), will this work? With the paint turn grey? Is there anyway to print something out for a reference comparison? I am having my doubts now and don't want to waste anymore money on paint. I really need a DIY screen that will work well in ambient light.

I appreciate the help.

Thank you

post #14 of 96 Old 04-22-13, 12:11 PM
Shackster

Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post

I'm sorry to hear this!

Just kidding!
Now now... lol. It's not too bad..
post #15 of 96 Old 04-24-13, 12:06 PM
Shackster

Just a thought. Could it be the base paint itself is the culprit in my screwed up BW mix? I used the primer + primer from Valspar.

And Don, I will be sending you samples soon.
post #16 of 96 Old 04-24-13, 12:26 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Just a thought. Could it be the base paint itself is the culprit in my screwed up BW mix? I used the primer + primer from Valspar.
While it may be remotely possible I doubt that is the case.

I had an 8 oz. sample of Valspar made to your tint formula, will be testing that out and have the results in a day or two.

Quote:
And Don, I will be sending you samples soon.
post #17 of 96 Old 04-25-13, 09:32 PM
Shackster

Im thinking of getting a quart of Behr 1850 now to make a correct BW mix. There no difference quality wise between different paint bases as long as they get tinted properly, correct?
post #18 of 96 Old 04-27-13, 01:36 AM
Shackster

Here is my new quart of Behr paint. Hopefully the tint is perfect for BW.

Don, I will also send you a copy of this as well before I mix in the AAA that I have to order again.

Thanks.

Name:  Behr.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  71.4 KB

Edit: Sigh.. Looks like the wrong formula again after reading previous threads. Another $12 wasted.

Last edited by olwe; 04-27-13 at 01:58 AM.
post #19 of 96 Old 04-27-13, 05:52 PM
Shackster

I know, eh? I am now wondering if I will ever get a correct paint from Lowe's/Home Depot for a proper BW screen. I may have to just live up to the screen I have for now.
post #20 of 96 Old 04-27-13, 08:51 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Here is my new quart of Behr paint. Hopefully the tint is perfect for BW.

Don, I will also send you a copy of this as well before I mix in the AAA that I have to order again.

Thanks.

Edit: Sigh.. Looks like the wrong formula again after reading previous threads. Another $12 wasted.
Let's not give up hope just yet.

We haven't used Behr paints in some time and it seems they have changed the tint codes used in their paints so I really can't tell from that formula if the color is right or not. The next time I get to my "local" Home Depot (it's 35 miles away) I'll check into this.

In the mean time, I just measured the test chits of the 8 oz. Valspar sample I got made to your tint formula below and for a BW™ test made with it. While the BW™ sample didn't appear as pink as yours it was still way off color. I'm looking forward to getting your samples for comparison.

Could you post a photo of the bar code panel of your AAA-F? Just want to make sure everything is copacetic there.