Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen - Page 7 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

post #61 of 96 Old 05-07-13, 07:22 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Re: Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen

Quote:
lgreis wrote: View Post
What happens if we mix the new aaa-f with the Dulux (lumitec) absolute white in 4:1? Maintain the neutrality of the paint? It becomes a litle grey maybe N9/N8.5? And maintain the withes? Sorry the newb questions but Finaly i could buy the dulux white with lumitec, i have the epson 5020, the colors are simply gourgeos and bright withes but if i could blacker the blacks a litle bit it will be perfect. I also have some dificulty to smooth the paint, it has a lot of texture in it.
I have not measured Dulux in the 'absolute white' base, but perhaps Mech has; I simply forget. Assuming it is similar to the Dulux paint I have measured (Dulux Diamond with lumitec) it is a warm white (meaning it's rich in the red-orange end of the spectrum). The RGB values were 248,247, 242. CIELAB L* was 97.24 (N9.7).

It's still very early in the testing phase of the new AAA-F, but so far results are very positive and adding AAA-F to a neutral or warm white in a 4:1 ratio will probably produce a very acceptable N9.

The screen surface needs to be fairly smooth to use a reflectively-enhanced mix. The aluminum particles in the mix will highlight any surface irregularities or roughness. Any surface rougher than drywall should be sanded smooth before being primed and painted. If the roughness is caused by the paint not leveling out as it dries then it should be diluted with a bit of distilled water (amount depends on whether you are rolling or spraying the paint) or use a flattening agent such as Floetrol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 96 Old 05-07-13, 07:30 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Yiannis1970 wrote: View Post
If my calculations are correct (Mech and Don permitted!!) the old formula's RGB values (AAA) were somehow like:

R = ~0
G = ~ 80
B = ~ 130.

From Don's previous post, i assume that RGB values have changed in the new formula. It would be interesting though if Don could tell us how the L* value of the new mix is affected as well.
I have not measured the new AAA-F alone with my spectro yet, but that is rather a moot point because that info alone won't tell you how it will affect the color of a base paint. Paint chemistry is quite complex and the end result of mixing two or more colors of paint together can produce surprising results! It's still too early to start publishing definitive results, but adding AAA-F (from this date forward this will always mean the "new" AAA-F) to a paint can either darken or lighten the final color. When the base color goes below ~N7 the mix will get slightly lighter in shade. All this will be documented in time.
post #63 of 96 Old 05-07-13, 09:21 AM
Shackster

I got my paint from Sherwin Williams and had them match the bermuda beige. It turned out fantastic! my screen is 136'

post #64 of 96 Old 05-07-13, 10:17 AM
HTS Moderator

Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I have not measured the new AAA-F alone with my spectro yet, but that is rather a moot point because that info alone won't tell you how it will affect the color of a base paint. Paint chemistry is quite complex and the end result of mixing two or more colors of paint together can produce surprising results! It's still too early to start publishing definitive results, but adding AAA-F (from this date forward this will always mean the "new" AAA-F) to a paint can either darken or lighten the final color. When the base color goes below ~N7 the mix will get slightly lighter in shade. All this will be documented in time.
Quote:
mechman wrote: View Post
I never really thought too much about the AAA measures as it was always my belief that the aluminum would skew it too much.

As for mixes using the new AAA, mine is on the way and should be here by next Monday. I expect Don and I to have this sorted out fairly quickly.
Thank you both!!
post #65 of 96 Old 05-07-13, 11:02 AM
Shackster

wow good thing I bought double of the AAA I needed so I have some to spare.
post #66 of 96 Old 05-07-13, 12:59 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
Lisa49221 wrote: View Post
I got my paint from Sherwin Williams and had them match the bermuda beige. It turned out fantastic! my screen is 136'
Yes indeed, the old AAA-F works like a charm with a 'Bermuda Beige' base.

People are going to have to pay close attention to the batch number of the AAA-F they get until the old version is gone from most inventories so they know what base to use. If in doubt at all please ask us BEFORE mixing!!!
post #67 of 96 Old 05-09-13, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Shackster

Okay, just mixed my SW Gray Screen (32 oz) with 8 oz of AAA-F. Its gray, lol should be right. Okay I put one coat on, do you recommend more than a single coat of this mix?
post #68 of 96 Old 05-09-13, 11:02 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
aiwa2child wrote: View Post
Okay, just mixed my SW Gray Screen (32 oz) with 8 oz of AAA-F. Its gray, lol should be right. Okay I put one coat on, do you recommend more than a single coat of this mix?
Generally it takes two coats for people to not see any blotchiness in the screen area, but if the screen looks good to you with one coat there is no reason to add another.
post #69 of 96 Old 05-11-13, 02:44 PM
Shackster
Weed

My System
Smile Re: Help with the Black Widow PFG DIY Projection Screen

Okay I have the older AAA (-55). Will a Wagner HPLV spray gun work? If so do I need a certain size tip?

post #70 of 96 Old 05-11-13, 04:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don

Quote:
jweed wrote: View Post
Okay I have the older AAA (-55). Will a Wagner HPLV spray gun work? If so do I need a certain size tip?

Be sure to use the PPG 'Bermuda Beige' base paint with the older AAA-F to get a neutral gray final mix.

The Wagner HVLP should work fine. A smaller needle/tip produces a finer spray pattern (smaller paint droplets), but the standard 2 mm tips will still make a good screen. The key is to practice spraying with it and to learn how the gun throws paint. You can get inexpensive PVA primers for around $10 a gallon, or even better, many stores sell mis-colored paints for $5 a gallon or less. Use these "throw-away" paints to get an idea of how much to thin latex paints so they will produce a fine mist rather than spitting large droplets of paint. You want the paint to be just thin enough to atomize well, but not so thin it will run or sag after it goes on. Spray large sheets of cardboard for practice, or get a sheet of 1/8" hardboard (about $8).