What sheen for screen, flat or matte? - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-20-13, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

Im finally buying my screen paint tomorrow and I totally forgot to find out what sheen I should be getting. Do I use flat or matte finish? This is sherwin williams paint.
bmfjimbo80 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 04-20-13, 12:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

Quote:
bmfjimbo80 wrote: View Post
Im finally buying my screen paint tomorrow and I totally forgot to find out what sheen I should be getting. Do I use flat or matte finish? This is sherwin williams paint.
It depends on the color of the paint. For white or a light gray (N8.5 or above) you could get away with a satin finish, but some have stated the Unique Gray (N8) hot spotted for them in that finish.

For the widest viewing cone no matter the paint color I would get either flat or matte finish.
Harpmaker is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 04-22-13, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Shackster
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 111
Re: What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

I got the "Ice Cube" in matte finish. One quart for $12.00 not bad. I'm sure i'll like it as i stated in an earlier post, I really liked the kilz primer wall screen i watched for awhile.
bmfjimbo80 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 04-23-13, 08:58 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Don
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central PA
Posts: 3,772
Re: What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

Quote:
bmfjimbo80 wrote: View Post
I got the "Ice Cube" in matte finish. One quart for $12.00 not bad. I'm sure i'll like it as i stated in an earlier post, I really liked the kilz primer wall screen i watched for awhile.
Harpmaker is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 04-25-13, 07:32 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Harpmaker wrote: View Post
I have a 10 seats professional home theatre & I was told that I do not need to buy a screen but regular paint on the wall is just fine. It is a 140 inch screen. Since I am saving money on screen, I do not mind having the best quality paint for the wall. What company paint and what color would you recommend ?. I have very dark painted walls in brown color.
mehtadj is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 04-26-13, 08:30 AM
HTS Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Greece
Posts: 519
Re: What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

Quote:
mehtadj wrote: View Post
I have a 10 seats professional home theatre & I was told that I do not need to buy a screen but regular paint on the wall is just fine. It is a 140 inch screen. Since I am saving money on screen, I do not mind having the best quality paint for the wall. What company paint and what color would you recommend ?. I have very dark painted walls in brown color.
You were told well!

Projector brand and model? Throwing distance?

Welcome to the forum!
Yiannis1970 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 04-26-13, 03:19 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
mehtadj wrote: View Post

I have a 10 seats professional home theatre & I was told that I do not need to buy a screen but regular paint on the wall is just fine. It is a 140 inch screen. Since I am saving money on screen, I do not mind having the best quality paint for the wall. What company paint and what color would you recommend ?. I have very dark painted walls in brown color.
So what company paint would you recommend ? What color & what type?
mehtadj is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 04-26-13, 03:27 PM
Elite Shackster
Quenten
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Florida
Posts: 2,454
My System
Re: What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

There are "factors" that will dictate the color paint that will work best for you. That is why we need to know the model of projector, the amount of ambient light the room will have during movies and the distance from screen to projector. All these will influence the choice of paint and we are happy to help.
Tonto is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 04-26-13, 03:47 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Quote:
Tonto wrote: View Post
There are "factors" that will dictate the color paint that will work best for you. That is why we need to know the model of projector, the amount of ambient light the room will have during movies and the distance from screen to projector. All these will influence the choice of paint and we are happy to help.
We have EPSON ,absolutely no ambient light in the room & projector is 15 feet from the wall that is being used as screen.
Thank you for your valuable service.
mehtadj is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 04-27-13, 10:22 PM
Shackster
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7
Re: What sheen for screen, flat or matte?

Our Projector is EPSON power lite home cinema projector 5010.
Thank you.
mehtadj is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flat , matte , screen , sheen

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now




PLEASE COMPLETE ALL REQUIRED FIELDS BELOW... THANKS!

REQUIRED FIELDS ON THIS PAGE
YOU MUST COMPLETE ALL OF THESE

Username
Password
Confirm Password
Email Address
Confirm Email Address
Random Question
Random Question #2




User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
PLEASE READ BELOW PRIOR TO ENTERING AN EMAIL ADDRESS!

ATTENTION!

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT!

Activation requires you reply to an email we will send you after you register... if you do not reply to this email, you will not be able to view certain areas of the forum or certain images... nor will you be able download software.

AN INVALID EMAIL ADDRESS WILL CAUSE YOUR ACCOUNT TO BE DELETED!

See our banned email list here: Banned Email List

We DO NOT respond to spamcop, boxtrapper and spamblocker emails... please add @hometheatershack DOT com to your whitelist prior to registering or you will get nowhere on your registration.


Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML is not allowed!
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 


For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome